Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: I have been able to be of help to friends/family who are suddenly struggling with working from home.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 22, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I have been able to be of help to friends/family who are suddenly struggling with working from home.".

View the poll results »

Aline Amorim
translatorEN-ID

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
True Mar 23, 2020

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "I have been able to be of help to friends/family who are suddenly struggling with working from home.".

View the poll results »

I have given tips on how to set up a home office mainly my family.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a little Mar 23, 2020

As a senior with lung problems, I've been under "house arrest" for over two weeks now. But I've been sharing correct information with many friends who have been misled by rumors circulating on the Internet. I've encountered two extremes: people who aren't taking the epidemic seriously, and those who are freaked out and don't understand that the prescribed precautions really do work. They are clamoring for masks and disposable gloves when these supplies should be reserved for the health workers w... See more
As a senior with lung problems, I've been under "house arrest" for over two weeks now. But I've been sharing correct information with many friends who have been misled by rumors circulating on the Internet. I've encountered two extremes: people who aren't taking the epidemic seriously, and those who are freaked out and don't understand that the prescribed precautions really do work. They are clamoring for masks and disposable gloves when these supplies should be reserved for the health workers who desperately need them.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
neilmac
Marina Hion
Sabrina Bruna
Kristen F.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:25
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
True Mar 23, 2020

Just yesterday I was able to provide encouraging support to a friend. She lives in a rather isolated area and struggles to work from her home, missing the contact with other people. It was only via Skype, but she did feel better after our conversation. I just wish I could do more.

[Edited at 2020-03-23 08:57 GMT]

Kristina Radziulyte

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just a little Mar 23, 2020

I’ve been giving moral support to some members of my family: those who used to envy me are now struggling with working at home. Life is full of these little ironies!

Stay safe and take care!

Kristina Radziulyte
Muriel Vasconcellos

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not really Mar 23, 2020

I was looking after my friend's dog, which is acutely firework-phobic, during the noisy local fiesta (Las Fallas de Valencia), but it was cancelled because of the virus, so they took him back to the city a week sooner than planned. His owner is an EFL teacher and is now doing her classes via Skype, but without struggling.

My daughter works in the travel industry and had to bring home her PC and monitor from the office last week. She is sticking to her daily routine, i.e. getting up
... See more
I was looking after my friend's dog, which is acutely firework-phobic, during the noisy local fiesta (Las Fallas de Valencia), but it was cancelled because of the virus, so they took him back to the city a week sooner than planned. His owner is an EFL teacher and is now doing her classes via Skype, but without struggling.

My daughter works in the travel industry and had to bring home her PC and monitor from the office last week. She is sticking to her daily routine, i.e. getting up at the same time, showered and dressed, and working more or less the same schedule as she did when she had to go to the office. She isn't really struggling either.

My landlord decided to self isolate last week as he was coughing, so I went to the local farmacia to get him a thermometer and I gave him some of my own cough syrup, which seemed to work, and he doesn't have a temperature, so no panic there either. And I ran the gauntlet of the police checks to take another expat to the airport on Friday, but apart from that, everyone seems to be soldiering on and getting by more or less as usual.

[Edited at 2020-03-23 09:02 GMT]
Collapse

Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Gitte Hovedskov (X)
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
Nahhh... Mar 23, 2020

But I help my elderly neighbours with little things when I can... and if they let me (lovely, independent souls).

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Not at all Mar 23, 2020

All my family are computer-savvy and quite used to working at home.
My daughter on the other hand is in the front line in a Lausanne hospital, while her husband is working from home and looking after their son, now that the crèche is closed.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Mar 24, 2020

I got some supplies in for a neighbour, and I'm trying my best to entertain my extrovert partner. He thrives on social contact, he's usually best friends with the waiter long before they bring the bill, and he's finding it hard. He's supposed to work from home, but a lot of his work is still on paper and the rest involves meeting and talking with people.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Not really Mar 24, 2020

My friends and family are handling the situation quite well.

Oh wait! I often go for a walk to a nearby park with my neighbor, who is an elderly lady.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:25
French to English
I haven't been needed yet Mar 24, 2020

My husband works from home all the time anyway, so he's fine. Our son and his boyfriend are working from home from now on, and it is going well... so far. We Skype occasionally, but that's more for my benefit than theirs.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
First days the worst... Mar 24, 2020

Well, the first few days up to 2 weeks are probably the worst, later you get used to the situation and kind of appreciate the freedom related to that like no necessity to get up so early in the morning to get to work on time.

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:25
English to Russian
+ ...
A bit Mar 24, 2020

I gave my relatives' kids my old notepad, as children are studying online now.

Kristen F.
Kristen F.
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Let's not play the Blame Game Mar 24, 2020

In Spain, we seem to be taking this very seriously, and most people are complying with the confinement. If it weren't such a tragedy, I would find it to be a fascinating moment of real flux in society.

The hardest part has been trying to convince my octogenarian mother that this is no time to be blaming a particular race of people or country. I've tried to explain that epidemics and pandemics have occurred throughout the ages, and that this is a good time to examine OURSELVES to see
... See more
In Spain, we seem to be taking this very seriously, and most people are complying with the confinement. If it weren't such a tragedy, I would find it to be a fascinating moment of real flux in society.

The hardest part has been trying to convince my octogenarian mother that this is no time to be blaming a particular race of people or country. I've tried to explain that epidemics and pandemics have occurred throughout the ages, and that this is a good time to examine OURSELVES to see what our values and priorities are. Only then can some real good come out of this.

Stay healthy, everyone! Best.... Kris
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:25
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not the case Mar 25, 2020

Right now, each one is taking care of themselves. If anyone needs help, I'll surely be available. But in my large family, nobody has asked for any assistance, so it's not the case.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I have been able to be of help to friends/family who are suddenly struggling with working from home.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »