Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: In general, my household is such that I wouldn't need to go out...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 28, 2020

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "In general, my household is such that I wouldn't need to go out...".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:37
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
For a week Mar 28, 2020

at least, but for my dog. If things get worse and I have to socially isolate myself even more, there is fortunately a lot of help with walkies out there. In these difficult times, solidarity is not an empty word...

[Edited at 2020-03-28 08:53 GMT]

Yurim Jung

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 18:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
A week Mar 28, 2020

I suppose I could eke out the food supplies for up to 2 weeks, but only in very extreme circumstances, more serious than the current situation. Basically, as long as my Internet keeps working, so do I.

Cheemanum

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Couple years Mar 28, 2020

We’ve warned for decades that something like this could happen and have been preparing ever since. The sect is almost self-sufficient in everything, canned food, petrol, guns, all the necessities, ready for everything bar a full-scale nucular scenario, but I must confess we hadn’t budgeted for the reduced availability of roadkill so we’ve had the ladies hitch up their skirts and go after the squirrels this week while the menfolks check the quality of our beer stockpile.

Baran Keki
Michael Harris
Philip Lees

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
I've got previous Mar 28, 2020

I lived in Eritrea from 1993-95 as a VSO Volunteer (bit like the Peace Corps, but British) and lived off nothing but lentils for two years. Twice a day, off a metal plate, eaten (of course) with the right hand.

And no, that's not lentils with broccoli or courgette on the side, or with rice and curry, or even with pasta.

Just lentils. And Ethiopian injera.

So as long as my lentil supply continues uninterrupted, I could continue for two more years.
... See more
I lived in Eritrea from 1993-95 as a VSO Volunteer (bit like the Peace Corps, but British) and lived off nothing but lentils for two years. Twice a day, off a metal plate, eaten (of course) with the right hand.

And no, that's not lentils with broccoli or courgette on the side, or with rice and curry, or even with pasta.

Just lentils. And Ethiopian injera.

So as long as my lentil supply continues uninterrupted, I could continue for two more years.

Having said that, any recipes for making your own injera out there?
Collapse

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
For a week would be feasible ... Mar 28, 2020

... I have to do all grocery shopping by bike for a four-person household; my husband is coughing and I don't drive. However, we have quite a good supply of food with a long shelf life (already bought this long before COVID-19 became an issue over here), so I can do with a visit to the baker's, greengrocer's and supermarket once a week, filling my bike bags and a large backpack. No need for a gym subscription

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:37
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
1 - 3 months Mar 28, 2020

I haven't ventured outside since the UK went into lockdown and am currently making my way through the massive stockpile of food and other provisions I had ready for Brexit day.

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Fresh stuff Mar 28, 2020

Plenty canned and frozen goods, rice and pasta, but someone has to venture out now and then for fresh fruit and vegetables, milk and yoghurts, etc.
Today it was my husband's turn to go out, we're OK now for at least 4 days.

Giuliana Maltempo

DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
We're good, but Mom just won't stay in Mar 28, 2020

Stocked up just before total quarantine was issued. We're actually good for several weeks, so I'm good to stay in, but it's a constant battle to keep my mom from going out. We need a little of this, and a little of that, I can NOT stay here all day... ¡Ayayay!

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A few weeks Mar 28, 2020

The shelves are well stuffed, and with spring coming around again, despite the current low temperatures, I'll get back to growing fresh food out on the balcony again.

Additionally, the shops we frequent all deliver goods right to out front door, paying with a debit card and/or Payback points. Which seems to be the most desperately wanted item, at least in Germany, toilet paper, well, we don't have to worry about that because whenever they have special editions, e.g g. for Easter, Ch
... See more
The shelves are well stuffed, and with spring coming around again, despite the current low temperatures, I'll get back to growing fresh food out on the balcony again.

Additionally, the shops we frequent all deliver goods right to out front door, paying with a debit card and/or Payback points. Which seems to be the most desperately wanted item, at least in Germany, toilet paper, well, we don't have to worry about that because whenever they have special editions, e.g g. for Easter, Christmas, Valentine's Day, I buy some just because I like it and regardless of how much is already at home. As far as this present day new gold is concerned, I wouldn't have to leave the house till the end of the year.

[Edited at 2020-03-29 09:48 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A week Mar 28, 2020

A week because my groceries are for a week. I find that fruits, vegetables and meat must be bought at least once a week. But in case of an emergency, I could stay alive at home for about three weeks, I guess.

Philip Lees
Jan Truper
Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Liena Vijupe

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:37
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About a month Mar 29, 2020

I have always had the habit of stocking up more than I need. I have stuff in my freezer, my pantry, my closets, and my garage that could easily see me through a month. Before the Apocalypse hit, I already had a huge supply of TP. When I started to foresee a potential shortage of paper towels, I began using rags. While I could use some more fresh eggs, I've resolved to eat my canned tuna and sardines first. As for veggies, I intend to eat up what I have in the freezer before shopping for more.... See more
I have always had the habit of stocking up more than I need. I have stuff in my freezer, my pantry, my closets, and my garage that could easily see me through a month. Before the Apocalypse hit, I already had a huge supply of TP. When I started to foresee a potential shortage of paper towels, I began using rags. While I could use some more fresh eggs, I've resolved to eat my canned tuna and sardines first. As for veggies, I intend to eat up what I have in the freezer before shopping for more.

My biggest concern was running out of food and other supplements for my dog, but Amazon has come through with flying colors.

Of course, it could happen that everything runs out at the same time!

[Edited at 2020-03-29 04:53 GMT]
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
None of the answers provided Mar 29, 2020

None as we are two and use fresh produce so will not stock up, except for pasta, flour, sauces and such. Consequently, we need frequent short trips to supermarket (the one we use is just a bit more pricey so no queues, grocery (for the bread we love), confectionery and greengrocer's. All make deliveries except for the confectioner though so if we are put on complete lockdown, we'll not be without. Even pharmacies deliver here. There's a whole business wth deliveries, anything imaginable, though ... See more
None as we are two and use fresh produce so will not stock up, except for pasta, flour, sauces and such. Consequently, we need frequent short trips to supermarket (the one we use is just a bit more pricey so no queues, grocery (for the bread we love), confectionery and greengrocer's. All make deliveries except for the confectioner though so if we are put on complete lockdown, we'll not be without. Even pharmacies deliver here. There's a whole business wth deliveries, anything imaginable, though I don't agree with it. Too much and reflects today's consumerism trends. Stay safe everyone.

[Edited at 2020-03-29 08:51 GMT]
Collapse

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
a week Mar 29, 2020

but even for a month if i had to. Then it would just be without fresh fruit, vegs. and diary products.

Note: Sometimes I worry about the electricity.
If I lost the steady power supply for more than a day, all my food in the freezer would be lost.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liena Vijupe

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Me too Mar 29, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

at least, but for my dog. If things get worse and I have to socially isolate myself even more, there is fortunately a lot of help with walkies out there. In these difficult times, solidarity is not an empty word..

But for my dogs and cats, not for me

Yurim Jung

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, my household is such that I wouldn't need to go out...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »