Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: How many words have you translated in your career?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 6, 2021

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many words have you translated in your career?".

View the poll results »

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:24
German to English
+ ...
A rough guess May 6, 2021

I don't keep track but a very rough guess would be some 8 million calculated based on the number of years I have been translating and allowing for holidays and (infrequent) quiet periods.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-05-06 20:33 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:24
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know May 6, 2021

I started translating full-time some 35 years ago after a few years part-time. I worked for 20 years as staff translator between 1986 and 2006 and since I retired from that position I have been working as a freelancer. I have no idea of the amount translated until 2007 as I didn’t keep track, but since 2007 until the end of 2020 I’ve translated 6,975,445 words (4 source languages into PT(pt) though over 60% refers to EN-PT). No CAT tools!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Dumb, dumber, and dumbest May 6, 2021

Q: How many words have you translated in your career?
A: That must surely qualitfy as the dumbest poll question ever. Equivalent to asking "how many breaths have you taken since you were born?"

Baran Keki
Rachel Waddington
Christine Andersen
Jennifer White
IrinaN
Anja Hajek
Wolfgang Schoene

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 01:24
English to Turkish
More than you've had hot dinners... May 6, 2021

At a conservative estimate...

Christine Andersen
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Diarmuid Kennan
Philip Lees

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
14 million May 6, 2021

I would estimate that I have translated around 14 million words (10,000 a week x 50 weeks x 28 years).

No wonder I’m so damned good.

Not a stupid question at all.

Zibow Retailleau
Ventnai
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
How do you define a word? May 6, 2021

How many words is a word?

German is well known for stringing words together to make new words - as in crossroads, railway, checklist - they exist, but to a far lesser extent in English. You get fewer words if you translate from English into German, so which language do you count?

My source language, Danish, does the same, though possibly not quite as much as German. On the other hand, the definite article is not always a separate word: it is added as an ending to the no
... See more
How many words is a word?

German is well known for stringing words together to make new words - as in crossroads, railway, checklist - they exist, but to a far lesser extent in English. You get fewer words if you translate from English into German, so which language do you count?

My source language, Danish, does the same, though possibly not quite as much as German. On the other hand, the definite article is not always a separate word: it is added as an ending to the noun.

cat = kat
the cat = katten
the cats = kattene

On average you get about 1200 English words for 1000 Danish words, and the differences are even greater in some language pairs. Each language will have features that affect the word count.

And then there is all the sport of "Trados discounts". Regardless of how you charge for them, how many times do you count repeats that a CAT tool can in principle translate for you?

Even if you don't use a CAT, how many times do you count standard phrases like 'Yours sincerely' - or 'best regards'
Page 3 of 6
Not Applicable
-- and all the others.

I have records of what clients have paid me for over the years, but they do not all count words the same way, and I have never added them up. I made a guesstimate over a couple of years when I applied to be a Chartered Linguist, but it was largely to show that I was working professionally and more or less full time, and could not be used for other purposes.

[Edited at 2021-05-06 16:30 GMT]
Collapse

SELÇUK YATKIN
Liena Vijupe
Michele Fauble
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
A drop May 6, 2021

5-10M, or an equivalent of 4-500,000 full words/year over 21 years. The more, the merrier.
Converting words into books, it's still far less than the average city library.
To be compared with the 2.7 billions of "words" on my computer.

Philippe

Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Over 20 million May 6, 2021

I've counted them...

Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not all work is translation May 6, 2021

A lot of my work involves checking translations done by other translators, so the number of words that I "translated" would be less than if I had done only translations. And I obviously process more words when editing than when translating, so even if I could add up all my TMs from the past two decades, remove duplicates and count the words, it would still give a very inaccurate picture.

Christine Andersen
neilmac
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
  May 6, 2021

If you don't know how many words you translate, or can't even define what a word is, how do you bill? By square centimeter?

[Edited at 2021-05-06 12:59 GMT]

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Christopher Schröder
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 17:24
English to Russian
+ ...
Daniel, what's eating you?!?!?! May 6, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

If you don't know how many words you translate

Another one?

How in the world we, les miserables, are allowed to contaminate Planet Earth?

You know all too well what people mean - "... have you translated in your career."

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Billing May 6, 2021

Daniel Frisano wrote:

If you don't know how many words you translate, or can't even define what a word is, how do you bill? By square centimeter?

[Edited at 2021-05-06 12:59 GMT]

In this context there are a number of ways you could define a word. Source or target, for example. Weighted words or just the total number of words processed.

Some translators also prefer to charge an hourly rate or project fee. German translators often charge by the line.

Number of words is not the only option by any means

P.L.F. Persio
Liena Vijupe
Kevin Fulton
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Christine Andersen
neilmac
Philip Lees

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
4 million? May 6, 2021

Since I went full time freelance in 2017 my very crude estimate would be that I translate about 20,000 words per week on average, that would be around a million words per year, for a total of 4 million. My part-time career before that is even more difficult to calculate.

I also did a calculation for Tom and found that I have probably taken around 465 million breaths since I was born, give or take a dozen millions. And counting.

That means that I have needed more than 10
... See more
Since I went full time freelance in 2017 my very crude estimate would be that I translate about 20,000 words per week on average, that would be around a million words per year, for a total of 4 million. My part-time career before that is even more difficult to calculate.

I also did a calculation for Tom and found that I have probably taken around 465 million breaths since I was born, give or take a dozen millions. And counting.

That means that I have needed more than 100 breaths per translated word in my life so far, which is not so great, but I believe I can improve on this.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Liena Vijupe
Lingua 5B
Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
How do you define a word? May 6, 2021

To put it in Wittgensteinian terms: is this < a word? How do you know?

[Edited at 2021-05-06 13:49 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Liena Vijupe
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Christine Andersen
Daryo
Sundar Gopalakrishnan

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many words have you translated in your career?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »