New ProZ.com translation contest: "Frases de Oliverio Girondo", submissions open
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:44
SITE STAFF
Feb 14, 2014

Dear members,

A new translation contest starts today, with a source text in Spanish: phrases by the poet Oliverio Girondo. If you work from Spanish, or you know Spanish and want to have some fun, take a break and try your hand at translating these phrases.

Submissions are open until March 19th.

See the contes
... See more
Dear members,

A new translation contest starts today, with a source text in Spanish: phrases by the poet Oliverio Girondo. If you work from Spanish, or you know Spanish and want to have some fun, take a break and try your hand at translating these phrases.

Submissions are open until March 19th.

See the contest and submit your entry here: http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/

Happy translating,

Jared

"What about a source text in other languages?" ProZ.com translation contests depend on the collaboration of participants in many aspects-- voting, commenting, submitting entries, and also in finding suitable source texts in various languages (especially languages in which no member of the site team is native). You can help ensure source texts in a variety of languages for future contests by proposing a text in your native language. A feature has been created to allow the community to propose and comment on potential source texts for contests. Criteria for suitable contest source texts are also outlined.

To propose a source text, or to discuss other proposed texts, just go to http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/propose_source_text
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:44
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Lift the word limit Feb 14, 2014

Dear Jared,

I know of hundreds of excellent poems and song texts in Dutch that have never been translated. If you'd only lift the word limit I could propose texts like:

Mijn moeder is mijn naam vergeten

Mijn moeder is mijn naam vergeten.
Mijn kind weet nog niet hoe ik heet.
Hoe moet ik mij geborgen weten?

Noem mij, bevestig mijn bestaan,
Laat mijn naam zijn als een keten.
Noem mij, noem mij, spreek mij aan,
... See more
Dear Jared,

I know of hundreds of excellent poems and song texts in Dutch that have never been translated. If you'd only lift the word limit I could propose texts like:

Mijn moeder is mijn naam vergeten

Mijn moeder is mijn naam vergeten.
Mijn kind weet nog niet hoe ik heet.
Hoe moet ik mij geborgen weten?

Noem mij, bevestig mijn bestaan,
Laat mijn naam zijn als een keten.
Noem mij, noem mij, spreek mij aan,
o, noem mij bij mijn diepste naam.

Voor wie ik liefheb, wil ik heten.

Neeltje Maria Min

In this case I haven't checked whether the poem has already been translated, but I'm sure I could propose texts of this quality. Shorter proposals could trigger more participants to enter a translation and more members to judge all translations.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:44
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? Feb 14, 2014

Hello Gerard,

The word limit has been used to keep texts from being too long. I can't think of a good reason at the moment to not try shorter texts as you propose. Please feel free to send as many texts as you'd like to propose directly to me, or submit them through http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/propose_source_text/ and let's do it.

Jared

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:44
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I see one more hurdle Feb 17, 2014

Dear Jared,

I'd also like to know what has been done to be able to propose e.g. Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down for a contest at ProZ.com. Were Kris Kristofferson and Combine Music Corp asked for their permission? Or isn't that necessary? Do US copyright rules apply?

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New ProZ.com translation contest: "Frases de Oliverio Girondo", submissions open

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »