Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:58
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I must admit... Apr 10, 2019

LegalTranslatr2 wrote:

You can be sure it is a scam when they are more concerned (sometimes overly concerned) about how they are going to pay you, when they are going to pay you, etc. and not very concerned, or concerned at all, about the translation.

Most normal private consumers are concerned about the quality of the translation, when it will be done, etc. and you have to pull teeth to get payment information from them.

[Edited at 2019-04-10 13:44 GMT]

speaking about only of my experience, this is sadly true. Being a translator is a bit of a struggle and that kind of behavior immediatly raises red flags.

Daryo

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:58
Serbian to English
+ ...
Really? Apr 10, 2019

Yoana Ivanova wrote:

Robert Forstag wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

2. PayPal is not an entirely safe way of receiving payments. It's fine for "trusted" clients, if a little costly at times. But a scammer has only to report to PayPal that they haven't received the services paid for and the funds will be returned to them, or at least taken from your account and held by PayPal while the matter is settled.

I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that I had no idea that such a scam was possible via PayPal. I suppose that it would be easy enough to verify to PayPal’s satisfaction that a translation was delivered and receipt thereof acknowledged. But who knows how long it would take for PayPal to resolve the matter? And who knows if the money would actually be (re-)transferred in the end?

Anyway, I count myself lucky that this never happened to me. Knowing of such a possibility also means that the only really safe payment in cases of clients that cannot be fully trusted would appear to be MoneyGram/Western Union transfers (or similar).

PayPal is quite safe in that regard. You just have to show them that you delivered what was asked of you and they will not transfer back the money.

Really?

You might be able to prove to someone in Paypal that you have sent something to the client, but if there is one field that is wide open to endless arguments and blatant abuse on the grounds of "unsatisfactory quality" of the delivered goods that's translation for sure!!

How long you think it's going to take to prove to someone in Paypal [who most likely speaks only one language and even more likely knows nothing about translating] that you have delivered not "something" but "a translation that's up to scratch"??

Not to mention the small detail of HOW you are going to prove it? Pay yourself for an expert to confirm that you delivered a translation of acceptable quality?

Check on the Web what people (sellers and buyers) who were less than amused by Paypal's performance have to say, it's easy to find.

Yolanda Broad
Sheila Wilson

Geneviève Benoit
Geneviève Benoit  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:58
Member (2017)
English to French
+ ...
Thank you for pointing this out - I got the same Sep 21, 2019

I am glad you posted this thread. I got a very similar request from the same name and email this week, and when I asked for the text, sent me an excerpt from an agricultural book, 15000 w. I was suspicious of the gmail address and was going to request company details, send a quote and ask for 50% upfront payment before proceeding. I guess I just won't bother. Definitely a scam!

BTW I found this thread because I searched the name on social media and Google. He is nowhere to be found
... See more
I am glad you posted this thread. I got a very similar request from the same name and email this week, and when I asked for the text, sent me an excerpt from an agricultural book, 15000 w. I was suspicious of the gmail address and was going to request company details, send a quote and ask for 50% upfront payment before proceeding. I guess I just won't bother. Definitely a scam!

BTW I found this thread because I searched the name on social media and Google. He is nowhere to be found on LinkedIn or Social Media, and this is the only place he shows up on Google.

BEWARE OF CROTHERS ACKMAN, it's a scam.

[Edited at 2019-09-21 14:57 GMT]
Collapse

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:58
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glad that helped! Sep 21, 2019

Geneviève Benoit wrote:

BTW I found this thread because I searched the name on social media and Google. He is nowhere to be found on LinkedIn or Social Media, and this is the only place he shows up on Google.

BEWARE OF CROTHERS ACKMAN, it's a scam.

[Edited at 2019-09-21 14:57 GMT]

What's amazing is that this scam is still going.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most certainly a scam, beware

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »