Possible translation project scam offered by text message.
Thread poster: yugoslavia
yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
Local time: 20:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 3, 2019

Dear representatives from Proz.com,

I’m writing to you because I received a text message several days ago offering me a Spanish translation project in my cellular phone. I tried to call the phone number mentioned in the text message but every time, I call this number,I’m getting an answer machine. I left around three voice messages but nobody has called me back. It’s very strange that every time,I call them, I’m getting an answer machine.

I’m suspecting that t
... See more
Dear representatives from Proz.com,

I’m writing to you because I received a text message several days ago offering me a Spanish translation project in my cellular phone. I tried to call the phone number mentioned in the text message but every time, I call this number,I’m getting an answer machine. I left around three voice messages but nobody has called me back. It’s very strange that every time,I call them, I’m getting an answer machine.

I’m suspecting that this text message could be a scam. The phone number is from the state of Massachusetts. I will be glad to copy and paste the copy of that phone text message for you. I want to verify if that text message is legitimate or if someone is trying to do a scam to me.

Thanks for your help and cooperation, Spanish native speakers, feel free to write to me in Spanish.
Best regards,
Yugoslavia
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Your cell phone number is not listed at your ProZ.com profile page Jun 3, 2019

What makes you think that the sender has found it at this website?

Thayenga
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't have my cellular phone number listed because of unsolicited requests. Jun 4, 2019

Hi Mrs. Natalie,
I hope you are doing well. I'm not saying that the person who offered me the project contacted me through Proz.com. I don't know how he or she got my phone number.
I got a text message on my cellular but the person doesn't even mention his or her name in that text message.

It's s very strange.
Yugoslavia

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:32
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
But... Jun 4, 2019

yugoslavia wrote:
I'm not saying that the person who offered me the project contacted me through Proz.com. I don't know how he or she got my phone number.

... you are writing
"Dear representatives from Proz.com,
I’m writing to you because I received a text message several days ago..."

which suggests that the message came through the site. In case it is not so, there is virtually nothing that representatives from Proz.com could do for you. You should block the number in your telephone.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Having fun with a scammer Jun 5, 2019

Just had this text-message exchange with a scammer:

VZW Wi-Fi 10:15 AM 90%

(530) 316-4375

Hello and how are you doing today? I need a document translated from English to ROMANIAN.
Kindly get back if available.
Thanks
Where did you get my number?

I'm an outsourcer and I found your contact on translators' cafe
Thanks for getting back. Kin
... See more
Just had this text-message exchange with a scammer:

VZW Wi-Fi 10:15 AM 90%

(530) 316-4375

Hello and how are you doing today? I need a document translated from English to ROMANIAN.
Kindly get back if available.
Thanks
Where did you get my number?

I'm an outsourcer and I found your contact on translators' cafe
Thanks for getting back. Kindly email me at [email protected] so I send you the document and you check the word count and get back to me with

What kind of a document?

kindly email me or send me your email so as to proceed

Where are you located?
united states
Really? I thought Bangladesh.

ok
California? Your number is registered in CA.
take care

Nice try.
Collapse

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mr. Lee. Jun 5, 2019

Hi Mr. Lee,

I hope you are well.

Thanks for your message. I tried to call the phone number in The State of Massachusetts but he never replied to my voice message.

Let me copy and paste the message that he sent me to my cellular phone offering me that translation project. Did he mention your name in that phone text message?

Please let me know.
Thanks.
Yugoslavia

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Dear Yugoslavia, Jun 8, 2019

Actually I spent five months in Yugoslavia after I escaped from Romania 33 years ago.

The phone number is irrelevant because nowadays the scammers use robot dialing and they can dial under any available phone number without being a legit subscriber. Therefore, no need to dial back. Just "block" this caller on your cell (hit "recent", then "info" under this number, scroll down to "block caller" and confirm blocking). This is all you can do. The scammers play the numbers. If they get
... See more
Actually I spent five months in Yugoslavia after I escaped from Romania 33 years ago.

The phone number is irrelevant because nowadays the scammers use robot dialing and they can dial under any available phone number without being a legit subscriber. Therefore, no need to dial back. Just "block" this caller on your cell (hit "recent", then "info" under this number, scroll down to "block caller" and confirm blocking). This is all you can do. The scammers play the numbers. If they get 5-10 gullible people out of 300,000 phone calls, they walk out with $10-20,000.

Stay safe,
Lee
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible translation project scam offered by text message.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »