Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
ENGLISH-GERMAN RELIGIOUS TRANSLATOR!!!! URGENTLY!
Thread poster: Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Mair A-W (PhD)
Mair A-W (PhD)
Germany
Local time: 23:47
German to English
+ ...
Tasty Jun 10, 2019

Thayenga wrote:

After they've agreed to your rate, they want an edible copy of your diploma. Who knows what for.

... In case they get hungry?

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:47
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Too warm Jun 11, 2019

Mair A-W (PhD) wrote:

Thayenga wrote:

After they've agreed to your rate, they want an edible copy of your diploma. Who knows what for.

... In case they get hungry?

Of course it's editable. But yes, they do seem to be very, very hungry.

Julie Barber

Akhila Phadnis
Akhila Phadnis
India
French to English
+ ...
What's the worst that can happen here? Jun 27, 2019

So I got this (same format - 'your candidacy seemed appropriate', fill in the '.xls' form etc.) and filled in the Excel questionnaire I received (seemed reasonably standard).

However, based on the response to this I was pretty certain I was being contacted by a bot and have sent in non-committal responses to see what happens.

The problem is, the questionnaire wanted some translation samples, which I included (just a few lines for each) and I'm wondering if that+my CV/re
... See more
So I got this (same format - 'your candidacy seemed appropriate', fill in the '.xls' form etc.) and filled in the Excel questionnaire I received (seemed reasonably standard).

However, based on the response to this I was pretty certain I was being contacted by a bot and have sent in non-committal responses to see what happens.

The problem is, the questionnaire wanted some translation samples, which I included (just a few lines for each) and I'm wondering if that+my CV/resume can be used in any way to create a fake translator identity?

I've been lucky enough to not face too many scams. I'm not sure how worried to be about having responded and sent in info here? What is the worst they could do with what they have?
(I've not sent in any diplomas, edible or otherwise

I checked the Blue Board listing for this company AFTER having responded and saw that they have 49 job postings, all of which are mildly to incredibly dodgy!
Collapse

Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
Wolfram Weinberg, PhD
United States
Local time: 17:47
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's the worst that can happen here? - @Akhila Phadnis Jun 27, 2019

Bad: the scam collection of your information (data and style of cv) and scam behavior (if/that/how you respond) as a professional and paying ProZ-member. (you don't know what was communicated between the lines when you opened and submitted the questionnaire and sample translation, do you?)
Worse: that (apparently) ProZ does not care
Worst: that the collected data are sold not just to advertisers and political manipulators but to who is going to impersonate and/or blackmail you and Pr
... See more
Bad: the scam collection of your information (data and style of cv) and scam behavior (if/that/how you respond) as a professional and paying ProZ-member. (you don't know what was communicated between the lines when you opened and submitted the questionnaire and sample translation, do you?)
Worse: that (apparently) ProZ does not care
Worst: that the collected data are sold not just to advertisers and political manipulators but to who is going to impersonate and/or blackmail you and Proz

[Edited at 2019-06-27 17:36 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-27 17:39 GMT]
Collapse

Akhila Phadnis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ENGLISH-GERMAN RELIGIOUS TRANSLATOR!!!! URGENTLY!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »