Thread poster: Catarina Wilson
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
What kind of job? Jan 28, 2020

John Doe, translator: Hello Gareth, it's me, the translator your company contacted out of the blue. So what's this job about?

Gareth Wilton: Well, John, I'm very excited to be talking to you, extremely excited, in fact, because this is an exciting opportunity to help us address some of the world's most pressing global challenges.

JD: Could you be more specific? And I am a translator, after all, so I don't see why you've contacted me. Are there translations involved, at
... See more
John Doe, translator: Hello Gareth, it's me, the translator your company contacted out of the blue. So what's this job about?

Gareth Wilton: Well, John, I'm very excited to be talking to you, extremely excited, in fact, because this is an exciting opportunity to help us address some of the world's most pressing global challenges.

JD: Could you be more specific? And I am a translator, after all, so I don't see why you've contacted me. Are there translations involved, at all? Some localisation? Transcription?

GW: Well, John, the first step amid all the excitement is to assist you to get aboard our work team, and get started on providing a superior customer experience by delivering our original, adjustable and value-driven solutions. Some quite exciting solutions, I might add.

JD: But how can I do that, Gareth, if I don't know anything about the pharma industry? I am a translator, after all.

GW: Well, John, no need to worry about that for the time being. The first exciting thing we're going to do here, because the population is constantly growing and its age is increasing, is to provide better medicines and high-quality food in sufficient quantities, and so we'll be sending you a large cheque for what we call "start-up supplies". To help you start up. The supplies. In accordance with our PVPRI values.

JD: A cheque? Wow. That ... that sounds too good to be true, Gareth. But, er, PVPRI?

GW: Well, John, that's our motto, our credo, our ne plus ultra, our sine qua non, our honi soit qui mal y pense. It means People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination. These are the exciting values we ....

Seriously? Seriously, people. The very fact that they contacted you in the first place? The bollocksy text? The lack of any proper idea of what they're on about? Do you even need to get to the bit about the dud cheque to work it out?

[Edited at 2020-01-28 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

IrinaN
Liviu-Lee Roth
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Eric Azevedo

Jaime Russell
Jaime Russell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aptar scam alive and well Feb. 2020 Feb 6, 2020

I just received the Aptar email scam yesterday (04-Feb-2020) so it's alive and well.
Big red flag was the aptar.company.com domain.
Simple check online to verify the company's real email (aptar.com) as well as our WONDERFUL Proz community confirmed suspicions. Thanks everyone! Jaime

sherry Lashgari
sherry Lashgari
United States
APTAR PHARMA Feb 8, 2020

Below is what I received from APTAR PHARMA.
I am glad I searched them up here.
I was very suspicious about this email but still I set up an interview with them on Hangouts.
I went through 15 sets of questions and they hired me immediately. I am glad that I searched them up here. I will not respond to their emails any more.
below please find the email and the interview questions we went through. Hope it helps someone to n
... See more
Below is what I received from APTAR PHARMA.
I am glad I searched them up here.
I was very suspicious about this email but still I set up an interview with them on Hangouts.
I went through 15 sets of questions and they hired me immediately. I am glad that I searched them up here. I will not respond to their emails any more.
below please find the email and the interview questions we went through. Hope it helps someone to not get scammed.

[email protected] via g001.emailsrvr.com
Tue, Feb 4, 6:30 PM (3 days ago)

Dear Applicant,
After a quick review of your profile on the (American Translation Association (ATA)), I write to present APTAR PHARMA TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER job offer, Aptar is a leading global supplier of a broad range of innovative dispensing, sealing and active packaging solutions for the beauty, personal care, home care, prescription drug, consumer health care, injectables, food and beverage markets. We’re in search of individuals, company irrespective of the current business type for a TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER Position.

Please indicate your interest to receive a full job description.

A referral will be welcome

Yours Sincerely,

Joanne Calandra,

Director Human Resources,

APTAR PHARMACEUTICAL.

www.aptar.com

Google Hangouts interview (I erased my personal response to the question for my own privacy purpose)

Hello Sherry!
How are you doing?
doing fine,thanks for asking
I wasn't home.just got back and saw your invite
are you available now or should we reschedule?
Yes, i'm available now
Are you available?
yes
Alright, as we proceed further with the briefing and interview, you will get to know more about the opening position, okay?
sure
You have a total of (60) minutes for this... A swift response is required. Shall we proceed?
yes
This is strictly an online and work from home job the working hours are flexible and you can choose to work from anywhere of your choice, the pay is $40.00 per hour training is $20.00 per hour and will get paid bi-weekly via direct deposit or paycheck and the maximum amount you can work a week is 30 hours.
I believe working from home will not be a problem for you?
not a problem at all
I am Mr. Raymond Cotton one the Hiring Coordinator at Aptar Pharmaceutical, and Please introduce yourself and indicate your full name, sex, city, state, verification code...?
please explain about the job duties little bit more
I'll do that.
My name is .....
I live in the state of .
I do not have any verification code
Nice "e-meeting" with you!
the same
Alright, Let me know when you have finished reading and understand every line. You will be allowed to ask questions later. With each line just respond with an "Okay" and a "Yes/No" when necessary Ok
ok
Next would be the briefing about our core values and Job functions, you are advised to read with care.
ok
HISTORY

View Aptar’s interactive history timeline. ​Learn more about our great company, from the early days of our founding companies, to the year we became an independent company trading on the New York Stock Exchange, to the innovative dispensing solutions leader that we are today.
should I do it now?
Yes.
ok give me a moment
Let me know when you have finished reading and understand every line. You will be allowed to ask questions later. With each line just respond with an "Okay" and a "Yes/No" when necessary Ok
sure
OVERVIEW

The Aptar family of companies is the leader in the global dispensing systems industry
Aptar is a leading global supplier of a broad range of innovative dispensing, sealing and active packaging solutions for the beauty, personal care, home care, prescription drug, consumer health care, injectables, food and beverage markets.
OK
CORE VALUES

We respect and trust people

* We believe in the self-worth of individuals regardless of their status
* We strive for relationships that are based on openness, honesty, and feedback
* We promote teamwork and cooperation at all levels
* We challenge people to develop their potential and to take initiative
* We practice business relationships that are based on responsibility and on long-term and mutual interests to all stakeholders.
OK
VISION 2030

Delivering Solutions, Shaping the Future

* We partner with our customers to help them win with differentiated solutions
* We access the expertise of the world to innovate
* We care for our planet
* We have talented, passionate, diverse people who thrive in our inclusive culture
* We always live our Core Values
Read the Aptar’s interactive history timeline
Yes
yes
What we're looking for at Aptar Pharma is:
Motivation
Passion
Integrity
Those are just some of the attributes valued at Aptar Pharma.
ok
Working hours are flexible. You will be getting a one-week training period with your training supervisor online.
ok
As for your duties, i will assist you with any difficulties by email and here on Google Hangout, Okay?
ok
What language are you prolific in?.....

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

Provide English-Farsi/Farsi-English interpretation and translation services to the clients and staff of the Health Department for offsite activities. Assist Staff and Farsi-speaking clients in completing any paperwork and forms necessary for the reception of goods and services throughout the Health Department.

Can you handle the functions stated above?
yes
Outstanding!
I am going to ask you few questions now, once done with your answers simply write (DONE). Are you ready?
yes
Below are the questionnaire for this interview, you are required to answer all questions below within 30 minutes, good luck as you proceed.

1. Do you have any experience in medical background?

2. Tell me about your Interpreter/Translator method.

3.What type of documents have you Translate in the past?

4. Being a Interpreter/Translator requires great attention to detail and focus. Tell me how you stay focused even when working long hours?

5. What do you know about our company?

6. Tell me the programs and software that you are best versed in. What is your level of proficiency in each?

7. Tell me about your most successful Interpreting/Translating project. What made it so successful?

8. Give an example of a time when you have encountered and overcome a professional obstacle?

9. What are your career aspirations beyond this job?

10. Briefly explain the meanings of privacy and code of conducts in relation to work ethic?

11. How would you like to be Paid ? Weekly Or Bi-Weekly/Direct deposit?

12. The Company's official banks are Citi Bank And US Bank, What banking institution do you operate with to see if it tallies with the company's official salary payment accounts?

13. Why should we choose you as our Interpreter/Translator?

14. if you are hired what will be your first year goals within the Company?

15. What mobile carrier server do you use?( prepaid or postpaid)

We would like to know how many hours you are capable of devoting daily for your training and orientation if selected?

Due to your level of experience and communication skills the company has decided to give you a chance for you to work for the company and will like to see your diligence, Charisma, Commitment to the job. Congratulation

You scored (86.6%) on the question's answered and for your consideration stand...You've just been confirmed qualified for the position!!!
fantastic news!
l am sending you an email now
Good.
We’re extremely happy to have you!

I need you to send the following information correctly:

Your Full name:
Address: (PO Box not valid)
City:
State:
Zip code:
Cell#:
E-mail:

This is to enable Us to enlist them into the Company's Register for proper documentation.
just sent you the email

You will be receiving your letter of employment and Obligation shortly, OK?
thank you
did you receive my email?
Not yet
received.
let me resend it
ok then
You are to go through it and have it signed and sent back to us with a valid ID for documentation, Understood?
understood
I have not received it yet
Please stay close to your device.
sure
may I read it carefully tonight and sign and send it to you later?
Ye.

You'll receive the letters shortly.
got it,thanks

Let me know once you have it signed and sent back, Okay?
ok,it will probably be by tomorrow or Monday,if that's ok with you?!
Alright.

Bye for now
got the letter.thank you and have a good night.
Collapse

pallavitilloo
pallavitilloo
United States
So glad I googled it Apr 7, 2020

It was indeed too good to be true. $37.09 per hour and $20 during training period!!!
I am glad I googled and found this out.
This person contacted me on Freelancer and asked me to install Wire and chat with a user @Christiannajames
After some 30 minutes of chat, during which time I was constantly wondering if this was in any way real...I googled the website which she mentioned, some company based in France. When she started asking me information about which bank I had account i
... See more
It was indeed too good to be true. $37.09 per hour and $20 during training period!!!
I am glad I googled and found this out.
This person contacted me on Freelancer and asked me to install Wire and chat with a user @Christiannajames
After some 30 minutes of chat, during which time I was constantly wondering if this was in any way real...I googled the website which she mentioned, some company based in France. When she started asking me information about which bank I had account in, my cell phone provider etc, I had to google what this could be about. Found this thread and I am glad I dint share any more info with her, in fact I reported her as a scam user.
Phew!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
Hi Robert, I'm only saying this because the community here has grown on me and now I care Apr 8, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Catarina Wilson wrote:

Close to the real thing:
aptarpharma.company.com

Not at all. The genuine domain is aptar.com.

The domain company.com belongs to a completely different company. Apparently, it is a social network and resource hub for small businesses in the US. Receiving an email from that is as good as receiving an email from a Facebook, LinkedIn or Gmail email address.

Don't fall for lookalike subdomains (aptarpharma.company.com is a subdomain of the domain company.com) or fake domains (could have been for example apttar.com).

You bit my had off the other day for not trusting a link that went to a subdomain that was connected to a dodgy (huge and scammy looking) domain and not to the (c)lean looking companies domain one can find looking them up online. Not to mention that the same application form touted checks as the only means of payment, asked me to scan a QR code (fastest-growing scam these days), and displayed a ridiculous message trying to pull on emotional strings when I clicked to abort and withdraw. The message said: "Are you sure you want to withdraw the application, you won't be able to apply again!" I did check, you can, of course, apply again whenever you'd like. It was just one of those ridiculous scammy looking messages.

Yes, there was a typo. I also didn't know I could've just put the actual email message on the forum if I deemed it suspicious. Yes, proz staff checked and apparently, this was an actual system set up by an actual agency (says a lot about the agency), but you basically called me IT illiterate, when in fact this agency is engaging in some outrageous practices. Practices that you yourself clearly are mindful of.

I honestly had thought how is it possible that these people do not get cleaned out on regular bases, and this is how, you are mindful of the same dodgy practices that are either an agency with a monkey for the head of the IT department, or scammers.

Would you like to perhaps apologise for telling me I didn't know what I domain was, relative to a subdomain, for my perfectly reasonable shock at how this application form and the potential job offer were conducted, or vindicate me in some other way?

EDIT: Lol I see Frost in your avatar and read your name as Robert every time. I meant Thomas. Cheers THOMAS Frost.

[Edited at 2020-04-08 07:59 GMT]

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
May I email you, Dario? Apr 8, 2020

Daryo wrote:

Catarina Wilson wrote:

Close to the real thing...

aptarpharma.company.com

THIS is the real thing

pharma.aptar.com

a sub-domain of "aptar.com" - the domain name for all companies that are part of the Aptar group of companies.

"aptarpharma.company.com" is a sub-domain of "company.com" no links whatsoever to the Aptar group of companies, owned by someone who will happily sell the use of any sub-domain name to anyone willing to pay, scammer or no scammer ... (if they are not themselves the scammers!)

One more proof for the old saying

Acquiring knowledge is expensive? Try the cost of ignorance ...

With your permission, I'd like to pick your brain about freelancing and the language pair we share. I'm new to freelancing and quite like it so far. I'm hoping to make a job out of it, dare I say a career.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
they must be desperate Apr 20, 2020

I thought that they put me on their "do not call" list

Just received this e-mail>

[email protected] [email protected]
To james.hrcoordinator [email protected]
Dear Applicant,

... See more
I thought that they put me on their "do not call" list

Just received this e-mail>

[email protected] [email protected]
To james.hrcoordinator [email protected]
Dear Applicant,

After a quick review of your profile on ATA-American Translators Association , I write to present FERA PHARMACEUTICALS TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER JOB OFFER. At Fera pharmaceuticals, This is the way we plan to grow our business. By first serving the professional eye care community with quality products that are cost-effective and in demand. Our initial products to market all fell within the eye care arena. We’ll soon be taking our product development and commercialization expertise into other specialty and underserved therapeutic categories. We are in search of individuals, companies irrespective of the current business type for a TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER Position.

The information below is a briefing about our company; the job and instructions to assist you to get aboard our work team. If truly you’re interested; read further and follow the instructions as stated below, IF NOT please ignore this message.

We dedicate ourselves to provide a superior customer experience by delivering original, adjustable and value-driven solutions. Our values: People, Virtue, Profitability, Responsibility, Imagination.

COMPANY: FERA PHARMACEUTICALS .
Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time, Freelancer.
Hourly Rate: $65/Hour-$65/Hour.
Training Rate: $45/Hour.

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:
You've been assigned to Phillip Madison (Hiring Coordinator) of FERA PHARMACEUTICALS, he would be conducting an online interview with you.

To contact him, set up a screen name via Google Hangout and add up the Company Hiring Manager([email protected]) and instant message him to proceed with the job interview.

Interview Scheduled: Mondays - Fridays.
Venue: Online Via Google Hangouts.
Time : 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST.
Training is available.

Your verification code is (TRA/FR12_11). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.
For more information, visit out website; www.ferapharma.com

A referral will be welcome.

Smooth! They copy/pasted the narrative from the real company's website, they added the real contact e-mail, but request to get back to them on a gmail account.
They did not mention the language pair, but found my name on the ATA !

X-Originating-IP: 173.203.187.65 but sent through a
Proxy- Received: from 10.221.12.240
X-Sender-Id: [email protected]

Most probably they are using the TOR, to hide the true origin of the massage.

Stay safe,
lee
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:01
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
But as usual, the text is subtly wrong Apr 20, 2020

Liviu-Lee Roth wrote:
After a quick review of your profile on ATA-American Translators Association , I write to present FERA PHARMACEUTICALS TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER JOB OFFER. At Fera pharmaceuticals, This is the way we plan to grow our business.

I immediately look for the return email address, by viewing the headers if needed, and as you note it isn't what one would expect of a company email. Also, the oddness of the English and punctuation in this sentence immediately caught my eye. By contrast, the English in the company's own website is conventional business-speak.

I read somewhere that scammers are not worried about whether their English is perfect, because they reason that the gullible and the careless do not pay attention to such things, and it is precisely this kind of person that the scammers want to respond, so victims kind of select themselves.

It makes a cruel kind of sense - predators aim for the weaker members of the herd.

Regards,
Dan

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton

Igor Vesler (X)
Igor Vesler (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Alive and kicking May 31, 2020

Yet another one is knocking at my door:

Dear Translator/Interpreter,

After a quick review of your profile on ATA-American Translators Association, I write to present ALRISE Biosystem Job Offer. ALRISE Biosystems GmbH is always looking for outstanding individuals willing to participate and actively support the company's positive business development. If you enjoy working in a highly motivated team and possess skills as well as experience to enhance ALRISE's technolog
... See more
Yet another one is knocking at my door:

After a quick review of your profile on ATA-American Translators Association, I write to present ALRISE Biosystem Job Offer. ALRISE Biosystems GmbH is always looking for outstanding individuals willing to participate and actively support the company's positive business development. If you enjoy working in a highly motivated team and possess skills as well as experience to enhance ALRISE's technology and business, this position is for you. Our flexible working environment had helped us build a dynamic and inclusive workplace that operates on trust and respect and allows you to live the life you want to live. We’re in search of individuals, companies irrespective of the current business type for an Interpreting job position.

... coming from:

reply-to: [email protected]
to: [email protected]
date: May 31, 2020, 4:12 PM
subject: INTERVIEW INVITATION!!! ALRISE BIOSYSTEM TRANSLATION/INTERPRETATION.
signed-by: g001.emailsrvr.com
security: Standard encryption (TLS) Learn more

As it turns out, ALRISE seems to be a legit business (http://www.alrise.de).

Was their corporate website hacked?
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:01
Danish to English
+ ...
Look in the headers May 31, 2020

Igor Vesler wrote:

As it turns out, ALRISE seems to be a legit business (http://www.alrise.de).
Was their corporate website hacked?

You need to look in the headers to see where an email was really sent from. As it says, it was sent 'via g001.emailsrvr.com', so it is unlikely that it came from the alrise.de server.

Yolanda Broad
Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton

Luciana E. Lovatto
Luciana E. Lovatto  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
The same e-mail over and over again! =( Jul 28, 2020

[email protected] [email protected] a través de g001.emailsrvr.com

After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association-ATA, I write to present Custom Pharma Services Job Offer. Custom Pharma Services is always looking for outstanding individuals willing to participat
... See more
[email protected] [email protected] a través de g001.emailsrvr.com

After a quick review of your profile on American Translators Association-ATA, I write to present Custom Pharma Services Job Offer. Custom Pharma Services is always looking for outstanding individuals willing to participate and actively support the company's positive business development. If you enjoy working in a highly motivated team and possess skills as well as experience to enhance Custom Pharma Services technology and business, this position is for you. Our flexible working environment had helped us build a dynamic and inclusive workplace that operates on trust and respect and allows you to live the life you want to live. We’re in search of individuals, companies irrespective of the current business type for an Interpreting job position.

As a responsible company, we act where the needs are greatest and where we can have maximum impact. Together, with our employees and partners, we help provide better health for all.

COMPANY: Custom Pharma Services.
Job Name: Interpreter/Translator
Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time (Freelancer).
Hourly Rate: $80/Hour
Training Rate: $75/Hour.

Principal Duties and Responsibilities:

* Provide correct, clear and concise translations.

* Provide translations that are formatted in a way that they can be matched up to the original documentation that was submitted.

* Provide legible word counts for all translated documents.

You've been assigned to Mr. William Deighton (Hiring Coordinator) of Custom Pharma Services, he would be conducting an online interview with you.

To contact him, set up a screen name with Gmail hangout (www.hangouts.google.com) and add up the Company Hiring Coordinator's hangouts on his Google ID ([email protected]) and instant message him for more you need to know and job details.

Interview Scheduled: Mondays - Fridays
Venue: Online Via Google Hangout
Time : 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST
Training is available.

Your verification code is (CPS/TRN_07_68). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Yours Sincerely,
Patricia Larkin,
Director Human Resources,

Custom Pharma Services

www.custompharma.co.uk
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

skdamiangmai
skdamiangmai
United States
scinopharm was the company Sep 16, 2020

I got an email, with links to both Skype and Hangouts. I was so excited, this pandemic caused my job loss and I really need an income. I am glad I googled the name and found this thread.
I bid for it on Upwork, Katy Cheng, who says she's an HR manager, but when you go to the website, she is actually the VP of the company. I don't think the company is a scam, but I think people using their name are. I told the woman I am not a translator, nor would I apply for a job as such, since I speak
... See more
I got an email, with links to both Skype and Hangouts. I was so excited, this pandemic caused my job loss and I really need an income. I am glad I googled the name and found this thread.
I bid for it on Upwork, Katy Cheng, who says she's an HR manager, but when you go to the website, she is actually the VP of the company. I don't think the company is a scam, but I think people using their name are. I told the woman I am not a translator, nor would I apply for a job as such, since I speak one language and not very well. lol. I'm so happy I found this thread, but so disappointed that these people are trying to take advantage of folks during a pandemic.
"As we proceed further with the briefing and interview, you will get to know more about the opening position. You have a total of (40) minutes for this... A swift response is required."
Collapse

yinhuifang
yinhuifang
United States
Similar scam in the name of STATA Sep 17, 2020

Please indicate your interest in an interview by contacting Clifford Richardson([email protected]) on google hangout (https://hangouts.google.com/) and instant message him with his screen name to proceed with the job interview process.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is this a scam?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »