How can I create a TBX file from an Excel glossary
Thread poster: Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:08
English to French
May 12, 2013

Hello,

I have a glossary (1100 terms) in excel format that I would like to turn to a TBX file to import in Idiom Worldserver. (The software choice is the client's). The glossary has 3 columns: source, target and comment. How can I turn this into a palatable TBX file? I read XBench could do it, but couldn't even import the Excel file (even as tab-separated, I wonder if the 3rd column ruins it?)
I appreciate "solution for dummies"!

Thank you,

Thomas
... See more
Hello,

I have a glossary (1100 terms) in excel format that I would like to turn to a TBX file to import in Idiom Worldserver. (The software choice is the client's). The glossary has 3 columns: source, target and comment. How can I turn this into a palatable TBX file? I read XBench could do it, but couldn't even import the Excel file (even as tab-separated, I wonder if the 3rd column ruins it?)

Thank you,

Thomas

PS: I use windows 7 home premium, have installed Wordfast pro, plus tools, Studio 2011, Olifant, XBench

[Edited at 2013-05-12 02:56 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:08
English
With Studio 2011 you have all the tools... May 12, 2013

... just download the Glossary Converter from the OpenExchange first. This will allow you to convert the spreadsheet into a MultiTerm termbase with a simple drag and drop. Then open the MultiTerm termbase you created with MultiTerm, click on the Catalog tab, and export to TBX.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=386... See more
... just download the Glossary Converter from the OpenExchange first. This will allow you to convert the spreadsheet into a MultiTerm termbase with a simple drag and drop. Then open the MultiTerm termbase you created with MultiTerm, click on the Catalog tab, and export to TBX.

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=386

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Thomas, May 12, 2013

You might also want to looks here:

http://tbxconvert.gevterm.net/tbx_supported_software.html

Software with TBX support

This is a list of software claiming TBX support of some kind. It contains links to the software website, a brief description of the extent of its support of TBX, and other information (type, price, etc.). We are currently in the process of validating the TBX output of each of the listed products. The results of the validation will be shown in the final column as it is finished.
The widespread adoption of TBX would be a boon to the translation industry. By sharing a list of software with TBX support, we hope to further encourage its use both in further software development and personal data storage. Using TBX means easy data sharing between each of the products listed here: a non-trivial benefit!
We also hope that by validating the output of each product and posting the results here, we can help software developers improve their products as well as help consumers make smart purchase decisions.
If you know any more products that should be added to this list, or have found any errors here, please send information to Alan K. Melby (akmtrg -at- byu -dot- edu) with "TBX SOFTWARE:" at the beginning of the subject line.

Click the column headers to sort by that column.

Michael

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
The third way - Anchovy May 12, 2013

You could also use Anchovy - the free and simple companion program for Swordfish. You can import a delimited file into it and then export it as TBX.

See www.maxprograms.com

Regards,

Piotr

Thomas Rebotier
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
NOT TRADOS! May 12, 2013

This was moved to Trados support by a moderator but it's not Trados!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
2 comments May 12, 2013

@Piotr:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

You could also use Anchovy - the free and simple companion program for Swordfish. You can import a delimited file into it and then export it as TBX.

See www.maxprograms.com

Regards,

Piotr

Not that it isn't a good program (I wouldn't know), but it's not really free because you need to first buy Swordfish.

From the website: 'Anchovy is included in Swordfish III installers as free plugin.'

@Thomas: I think the moderator stuck this thread in the SDL area because Idiom Worldserver is an SDL program.

Michael

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Indeed... May 12, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

@Thomas: I think the moderator stuck this thread in the SDL area because Idiom Worldserver is an SDL program.

... but it would still be useful to see which way you went in the end?

Regards

Paul

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:08
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Xbench can export to TMX, not TBX May 12, 2013

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

...The glossary has 3 columns: source, target and comment. How can I turn this into a palatable TBX file? I read XBench could do it, but couldn't even import the Excel file (even as tab-separated, I wonder if the 3rd column ruins it?)

Xbench has no problem exporting any number of columns to the formats its supports - the problem is that it does not support TBX for export: it supports TBX as one of the many formats it can import in a project, but the export is limited to Tab-delimited txt file, TMX and Excel Xlsx file.

[Edited at 2013-05-12 20:22 GMT]

Heartsome Support
Heartsome Support
Local time: 10:08
Heartsome plugin: TBX Maker May 13, 2013

Hi Thomas,

You can save your Excel file as CSV, and then open it with our plugin TBX Maker to save as TBX file. The plugin is available in the Professional and Ultimate Editions of our full-featured trial version, which can be downloaded from: http://www.heartsome.net/EN/downloads.html

Best regards,
Heartsome Team

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

Hello,

Thank you,

Thomas

PS: I use windows 7 home premium, have installed Wordfast pro, plus tools, Studio 2011, Olifant, XBench

[Edited at 2013-05-12 02:56 GMT]

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
English to Spanish
Anchovy is free May 13, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

@Piotr:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

See www.maxprograms.com

Regards,

Piotr

Not that it isn't a good program (I wouldn't know), but it's not really free because you need to first buy Swordfish.

You don't need to purchase Swordfish. Just install it and use Anchovy.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Thomas Rebotier
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Struggling here with multiterm May 17, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

Thank you Paul. I got step 1, although I could not manage to keep the comments, I have to prune the comment column from my excel sheet. But now I'm stuck at step 2. Multiterm open, the termbase loaded, the "Catalog > Export" is a description not an action. I check the "TBX" option but things stop there. I tried to right-click the TBX option and use "create", this runs me through a wizard that did NOT create a TBX file (even though it did run something I think it just created an .sdltb

(I guess it's that French/German divide, I always struggle with Trados tools without seeing the logic to their organisation!)

Any idea?

Thomas Rebotier
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Almost got it May 17, 2013

OK now i saw the little icon of cogs that says "execute action selected in the catalog", it produces an XML that is indeed a TBX, but now it's idiom WS that spits it with an error during import "the required XCS file is not specified in the translation toolkit"...

Thank you Paul for the help getting to TBX, I'll revisit the topic tomorrow to see if I can actually import to WS. In any case what the hell were Idiom thinking to not even provide an import for flat, csv or tab-separated
... See more
OK now i saw the little icon of cogs that says "execute action selected in the catalog", it produces an XML that is indeed a TBX, but now it's idiom WS that spits it with an error during import "the required XCS file is not specified in the translation toolkit"...

Thank you Paul for the help getting to TBX, I'll revisit the topic tomorrow to see if I can actually import to WS. In any case what the hell were Idiom thinking to not even provide an import for flat, csv or tab-separated files? The old saying "qui peut le plus peut le moins" apparently does not apply to the world of CAT tools...

Thomas Rebotier wrote:

SDL Support wrote:

Regards

Paul

Thank you Paul. I got step 1, although I could not manage to keep the comments, I have to prune the comment column from my excel sheet. But now I'm stuck at step 2. Multiterm open, the termbase loaded, the "Catalog > Export" is a description not an action. I check the "TBX" option but things stop there. I tried to right-click the TBX option and use "create", this runs me through a wizard that did NOT create a TBX file (even though it did run something I think it just created an .sdltb

(I guess it's that French/German divide, I always struggle with Trados tools without seeing the logic to their organisation!)

Any idea?
Collapse

Therese Palmkvist
Therese Palmkvist
Sweden
English to Swedish
Update Mar 3, 2014

Did you ever solve this? I get the same message, "the required XCS file is not specified"

Thomas Rebotier
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
If I remember well Mar 4, 2014

I did solve it but now, the path is no longer clear, stupid me should have posted back then. It was from multiterm directly, all the monkeying around with XBench and thrid party was a loss of time.

mc1529
mc1529
United States
There's a free Excel add-in for that Jan 7, 2020

The easiest way to create a TBX file from an Excel glossary is to download the TBX Exporter For Excel add-in.

Once it's installed, you just click a button on your Excel ribbon and it allows you to Export as TBX. Doesn't matter if you're working with a .csv, .xls or .xlsx.

... See more
The easiest way to create a TBX file from an Excel glossary is to download the TBX Exporter For Excel add-in.

Once it's installed, you just click a button on your Excel ribbon and it allows you to Export as TBX. Doesn't matter if you're working with a .csv, .xls or .xlsx.

This blog post gives you more details:
https://www.pairaphrase.com/how-to-create-a-termbase-file-in-excel/
Collapse

Candice Carmel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I create a TBX file from an Excel glossary

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »