Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:50
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 24, 2019

I installed Studio 2019 a couple of weeks ago. Whenever activated it works (very) slow, as does my whole computer, both off- as online, and the fan is making overhours. There are no problems howsoever with Studio 2015 (works normal).

So, I thought it maybe has something to do with my computer, but according to the specifications of Studio, my laptop is suited for the job.

I am a just user, not a computer technician, so I would ask if somebody has an idea or a good advic
... See more
I installed Studio 2019 a couple of weeks ago. Whenever activated it works (very) slow, as does my whole computer, both off- as online, and the fan is making overhours. There are no problems howsoever with Studio 2015 (works normal).

So, I thought it maybe has something to do with my computer, but according to the specifications of Studio, my laptop is suited for the job.

I am a just user, not a computer technician, so I would ask if somebody has an idea or a good advice (other then buying a new laptop) in understandable language?

I have an ACER Aspire E1-771
- Intel Core i5-3230M 2.6 Ghz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2Ghz (whatever that is)
- Intel HD Graphics 4000
- 4GB DDR3 Memory
- 500 GB HHD
- DVD-Super Multi DL drive
- 802.11b/g/n + BT

Thanks

[Edited at 2019-12-24 14:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-12-24 14:24 GMT]
Collapse

Dayana González Sanchidrián

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:50
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
4 GB RAM might not be enough Dec 24, 2019

I am not sure about Studio, but I found with MemoQ that the 4 GB of RAM that my computers came with was not sufficient. I upgraded to 16 GB of RAM, by replacing the 4 GB RAM stick with 2 x 8 GB sticks, and it runs like the wind now. Most computers can take much more RAM than they are sold with, which helps data heavy software like CAT tools.

Paul Malone

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Agree with John. Dec 24, 2019

Robert, you may wanna test it by unloading some other unused/bulky software from your RAM to free up some space. Then run your Trados again and see what happens. Do you have some other bulky big-sized graphics software installed? Try removing it if it’s less important to you than the Studio, as a first line of help. Generally speaking, you are looking for at least 8 GB RAM for professional use.

Gareth Evans
Gareth Evans
United Kingdom
How to make computer run faster Dec 24, 2019

I do lots of music and video work. When I need more computer power I press Ctrl Alt Delete > start task manager > Processes > then turn off all unnecessary programs running in the background. Make sure you only turn off things that you are 100% you know know what they are and aren't essential. jusched.exe and sidebar.exe can be switched off for example.

Another thing you can do is right click on Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Click Performance Settings > then cli
... See more
I do lots of music and video work. When I need more computer power I press Ctrl Alt Delete > start task manager > Processes > then turn off all unnecessary programs running in the background. Make sure you only turn off things that you are 100% you know know what they are and aren't essential. jusched.exe and sidebar.exe can be switched off for example.

Another thing you can do is right click on Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > Click Performance Settings > then click the tab that says "Adjust for best performance" or custom choose what to turn off or keep. I use custom with only "Show Thumbnails instead of Icons", "Smooth edges of Screen fonts", and "Use Visual Styles on Windows and Buttons".

Clear all your cookies, empty your recycle bin (making sure there's nothing there you want to keep) and make sure you've got no adware or spyware running in the background and slowing your computer down.
If I want to go the extra step I'll disconnect the internet, providing the program used / work I am doing doesn't need it.

As already mentioned a RAM upgrade will help too of course. I upgraded mine a while ago to and my PC could handle more.

[Edited at 2019-12-24 22:46 GMT]
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Gareth, That is the problem Dec 27, 2019

Gareth Evans wrote:

When I need more computer power I press Ctrl Alt Delete > start task manager > Processes > then turn off all unnecessary programs running in the background. Make sure you only turn off things that you are 100% you know know what they are and aren't essential. jusched.exe and sidebar.exe can be switched off for example.

I know about that trick, but the problem here is that there are 192 programs running on the background and I don't know which ones to turn off and which not. Programmes with names as igfx EM Module, LMSvc, Runtime Broker and many, many more. I have no idea where they stand for. They all sound like Chinese to me.

Like I stated before, I am just a user, not a 'technician'.

Gareth Evans
Gareth Evans
United Kingdom
Reply Dec 28, 2019

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Gareth Evans wrote:

When I need more computer power I press Ctrl Alt Delete > start task manager > Processes > then turn off all unnecessary programs running in the background. Make sure you only turn off things that you are 100% you know know what they are and aren't essential. jusched.exe and sidebar.exe can be switched off for example.

I know about that trick, but the problem here is that there are 192 programs running on the background and I don't know which ones to turn off and which not. Programmes with names as igfx EM Module, LMSvc, Runtime Broker and many, many more. I have no idea where they stand for. They all sound like Chinese to me.

Like I stated before, I am just a user, not a 'technician'.

192 is a lot. Uninstalling programs you don't use may go some way to help with this, although the problem with "bloatware" is its creators will want to give it an ambiguous name so you can't tell it apart from important stuff. Using some kind of PC de-clutter program like CC cleaner might help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Slow computer with Studio

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »