Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:13
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Feb 5, 2020

Hello everyone

When I do a replace-all with MS Word, after doing all the replacements, Word returns me to the original position in the file. Trados, however, moves down the entire file and then stops at the last replacement. This means that I have to manually scroll back up again to the original position. I have to somehow memorize it and hope I can find it again. Not easy if you have multiple files open and they have lots of semi-repetitions. Is there a trick in Trados to get
... See more
Hello everyone

When I do a replace-all with MS Word, after doing all the replacements, Word returns me to the original position in the file. Trados, however, moves down the entire file and then stops at the last replacement. This means that I have to manually scroll back up again to the original position. I have to somehow memorize it and hope I can find it again. Not easy if you have multiple files open and they have lots of semi-repetitions. Is there a trick in Trados to get Trados to return to the segment that I was in when I initiated the find/replace operation?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A little AHK script Feb 10, 2020

Hi Samuel,

Have a look at this thread, which addresses the need in your post.

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/autohotkey/24878/enhanced-replace-operation-to-go-back-to-originally-active-segment

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Nora Feb 11, 2020

Thanks. If I understand correctly, the script writes a temporary marker to the current segment, then performs the find/replace operation, then searches for the marker again, and then deletes the marker.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:13
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Feb 11, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

If I understand correctly, the script writes a temporary marker to the current segment, then performs the find/replace operation, then searches for the marker again, and then deletes the marker.

That's right! It's a simple concept, but it gets the job done.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For Trados 2017, there is a plugin available Feb 11, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
Is there a trick in Trados to get Trados to return to the segment that I was in when I initiated the find/replace operation?

I found a plugin for Trados 2017 called "bookMark", which adds buttons the Home tab for adding and removing bookmarks easily. I have Trados 2019, and the plugin doesn't work for me. The plugin is not in SDL's app store, so you have to google for it.

[Edited at 2020-02-12 09:55 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

After replace-all, return to previous position

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »