Studio 2019 & Powerpoint crashing - help!
Thread poster: Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2020

Hi all,
My Studio 2019 is crashing (without any error message) when I try to translate a Powerpoint (.pptx) file.
- I have tried repairing the installation with the Control Panel, as suggested by the SDL database
- I have rebooted my PC
- I have tried exporting the PPTX to PPT format, but cannot import the file into any project - "out of memory" error (even though the Task Manager in Windows shows that about half of the 8GB of RAM is free throughout)
- If I try to
... See more
Hi all,
My Studio 2019 is crashing (without any error message) when I try to translate a Powerpoint (.pptx) file.
- I have tried repairing the installation with the Control Panel, as suggested by the SDL database
- I have rebooted my PC
- I have tried exporting the PPTX to PPT format, but cannot import the file into any project - "out of memory" error (even though the Task Manager in Windows shows that about half of the 8GB of RAM is free throughout)
- If I try to open the XLIFF file itself (only 3000 words and 1MB large), SDL crashes without trace.

I have tried on two different PCs, one bang up to date and the other 1 or 2 SPs behind ... same results.

What can I try next?

Cheers, all,

-Mike-
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Contact the client Mar 9, 2020

Marketing-Lang. wrote:

Hi all,
- I have rebooted my PC
- If I try to open the XLIFF file itself (only 3000 words and 1MB large), SDL crashes without trace.

I have tried on two different PCs, one bang up to date and the other 1 or 2 SPs behind ... same results.

What can I try next?

Cheers, all,

-Mike-

The way I read it, they sent you a corrupted file. Tell them, and let them send a working file.

Marketing-Lang.
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PPT itself is fine Mar 9, 2020

hi Rob,
nope, the .PPTX file itself is fine, I can export it as a .PPT without problem.
-M-

Marketing-Lang.
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround Mar 12, 2020

Great! A buddy imported the files without problem into his MemoQ, so now I'm translating XLIFF files in Studio.
Oh, well ... a means to an end.
-Mike-

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019 & Powerpoint crashing - help!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »