Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:47
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
Apr 15, 2020

I am working on a translation with a lot of headings followed by a colon. In most cases, the text is split after the colon. I want to make sure that all the text that appears after the colon is in lowercase.

I don't suppose there is a way to filter by what is in the preceding segment (i.e. filter all segments where the preceding segment ends in a colon)

I basically want to take this

1 Tasks:
2 typing, getting coffee
3 Responsibilities:
... See more
I am working on a translation with a lot of headings followed by a colon. In most cases, the text is split after the colon. I want to make sure that all the text that appears after the colon is in lowercase.

I don't suppose there is a way to filter by what is in the preceding segment (i.e. filter all segments where the preceding segment ends in a colon)

I basically want to take this

1 Tasks:
2 typing, getting coffee
3 Responsibilities:
4 Scheduling meetings, calling suppliers
5 Requirements:
6 Driver's license, university degree

And filter out this:

2 typing, getting coffee
4 Scheduling meetings, calling suppliers
6 Driver's license, university degree

Then I can see at a glance where I need to change the capitalistation
Collapse

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Do you use the "Community Advanced Display Filter"? If so, have you considered "Reverse filter"? Apr 15, 2020

Hi Brent,

The "Reverse filter" option of the "Community Advanced Display Filter" would achieve what you want in the example that you've given.

I'm assuming that English is the source language? In that case, you would type a colon into the Content/Source, then click on "Reverse".

However, if your file is more sophisticated than the example you've given, i.e. if there are many more segments that do not contain a colon but that you don't want to include in the
... See more
Hi Brent,

The "Reverse filter" option of the "Community Advanced Display Filter" would achieve what you want in the example that you've given.

I'm assuming that English is the source language? In that case, you would type a colon into the Content/Source, then click on "Reverse".

However, if your file is more sophisticated than the example you've given, i.e. if there are many more segments that do not contain a colon but that you don't want to include in the filter, my suggestion would not work.

There may be a way to achieve that by using a regular expression, but I'm not certain about that. Perhaps any regex experts (regexperts?) reading this might be able to suggest a solution?

Best regards,
Paul
Collapse

Brent Sørensen
Brent Sørensen  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Apr 15, 2020

Hi Paul.

I hadn't been using the "Community Advanced Display Filter". I just installed it and tried some of the features. My file was a bit more complicated than the example I gave. However, I'm sure having this filter will come in handy for something else.

Brent

Paul Malone
Aline Amorim

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I usually use the Review - Search option. Apr 16, 2020

For example, if you want to see all segments containing 'Scheduling meetings, calling suppliers', you go to the
Review tab and paste 'Scheduling meetings, calling suppliers' into the search box, choose 'In source' (or 'In target', depending on where you need to search) and press Enter.

This is the simpliest way.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:47
English to Russian
Remove the colon segmentation rule Apr 16, 2020

Another option would be just removing the colon segmentation rule.
To this effect, you should go to your TM that is used for segmentation.
***Keep in mind that if you have more than one TM in your project, Trados will use the one that goes first in the list (counting from top to bottom).***
So go to Project Settings >
Language Pairs >
All Language Pairs >
Translation Memory and Automated Translation >
Select the uppermost TM >
click Settings
... See more
Another option would be just removing the colon segmentation rule.
To this effect, you should go to your TM that is used for segmentation.
***Keep in mind that if you have more than one TM in your project, Trados will use the one that goes first in the list (counting from top to bottom).***
So go to Project Settings >
Language Pairs >
All Language Pairs >
Translation Memory and Automated Translation >
Select the uppermost TM >
click Settings >
select Language Resources from the tree on the left >
Segmentation Rules >
Edit >
select 'Colon' >
Remove >
OK > OK > OK

Now with these new TM settings you should re-prepare your files for translation.

Remember that if you remove the top level TM or change the sequence of the TM list items, you will need to apply those settings again to the new top level TM, if any.
Collapse

Michael Schroeder

Agree with removing colon segmentation rule Apr 17, 2020

We went years with the colon being a segment breaker; removing it was a godsend for so many reasons.

Once you have removed the colon as a segment breaker, you can use the following RegEx to filter to the proper target segments:

\: [A-Z]

[Edited at 2020-04-17 06:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to filter segments by what was in the preceding segment

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »