Thread poster: Efe Bütüner
Efe Bütüner
Efe Bütüner
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Apr 30, 2020

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to Studio 2019 (switching from memoQ) but I can't figure out how I can manage to import different bilingual excel files into the same project. These files have different source and target columns, yet I can't seem to find a way to apply different column-based import settings for each file. Is it that I can't do it or Studio doesn't have such an option?

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:29
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
File types Apr 30, 2020

Dear eabutuner,

You need to add and use the file type "Bilingual Excel File", which offers options to set which columns represent the source and target language. In order to add a file type, go to "Project settings" and look for a "link" above(!) the file types list.

HTH,
Erik

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Erik, @eabutuner Apr 30, 2020

Erik Freitag wrote:
You need to add and use the file type "Bilingual Excel File", which offers options to set which columns represent the source and target language.

Yes, but can you use different columns for different files within a single project? Can you use columns A and B in file 1, and use columns D and E for file 2, etc., in a single project? I was not able to do it, but perhaps there is a way?

eabutuner wrote:
I can't seem to find a way to apply different column-based import settings for each file. Is it that I can't do it or Studio doesn't have such an option?

If it turns out that you can't set the columns on a per-file basis and only on a per-project basis, don't forget that you can take the SDLXLIFF files that are generated in the target folders of projects and then use them as the "source" files in a new project. Yes, this is going to be more work, but it offers a way to create SDLXLIFF files for the various Excel files and then translate all of those SDLXLIFF files inside a single project.

I'm not sure if you can then save as Excel directly from that new project (but it makes sense to me that you should be able to do that, without having to copy the translated SDLXLIFF files back to their originating projects).

[Edited at 2020-04-30 13:48 GMT]

Efe Bütüner
Efe Bütüner
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the answers Apr 30, 2020

Dear Erik,

I guess I wasn't able to express myself clearly. I'm not a total-newbie in Studio environment and I know how to get a specific file type above others to make it eligible for any file to be imported. Yet, my question has been better re-phrased by Samuel.

File 1: Source column is A and Target column is B
File 2: Source column is E and Target column is G

memoQ used to allow me to work with such options without any single problem. I'm just wond
... See more
Dear Erik,

I guess I wasn't able to express myself clearly. I'm not a total-newbie in Studio environment and I know how to get a specific file type above others to make it eligible for any file to be imported. Yet, my question has been better re-phrased by Samuel.

File 1: Source column is A and Target column is B
File 2: Source column is E and Target column is G

memoQ used to allow me to work with such options without any single problem. I'm just wondering if Trados Studio has a way of doing this.

Dear Samuel,

I am sorry to admit that migrating back to my previous CAT tool seems a lot easier than performing this file-explorer-worm process for every project I have. The thing is that I need to update my files quite often and I have 10 ongoing active projects. The burden it'll unleash on me will be time-consuming overall. But, sincere thanks to you for the suggestion!
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
My fault Apr 30, 2020

Eabunter,

I'm sorry, I hadn't read your initial post thoroughly. Samuel is right. AFAIK, there is no way to do this within a single project. You'd have to create a seperate project for each combination of source and target column.

Sorry again,
kind regards
Erik

Amnon Shapira
Amnon Shapira  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:29
Member (2011)
English to Hebrew
Hide May 1, 2020

Yes, there is a way to do it, but you need to do some preparations on the Excel files:
on each file:
1. copy the source column to the target column
2. hide the source column and any other column that contains any content.
3. save the file
Once you have done it on all the files:
Create a new Studio project and add all the prepared saved files.
Now when you load a file for translation you will see only the text for translation and you'll be able to edit it
... See more
Yes, there is a way to do it, but you need to do some preparations on the Excel files:
on each file:
1. copy the source column to the target column
2. hide the source column and any other column that contains any content.
3. save the file
Once you have done it on all the files:
Create a new Studio project and add all the prepared saved files.
Now when you load a file for translation you will see only the text for translation and you'll be able to edit it at will.
When you have finished the translation of a file use "Save Target as..." to save it as an Excell file.
Once the file is saved you can open it and "Un-hide" all the hidden columns to get a bilingual Excel file,
good luck
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:29
English to Russian
Unlike memoQ, May 1, 2020

in Trados, you cannot assign different column letters for multiple worksheets with different letters out of the box. In other words, if you have A for source and B for target in sheet1, K for source and L for target in sheet2, X for source and Y for target in sheet3, etc., you cannot handle it with Trados unless you rebuild the entire structure of your files as Amnon Shapira mentioned above. (Not to mention multiple files.)
In this regard, memoQ is way better.

[Edited at 2020-05-01
... See more
in Trados, you cannot assign different column letters for multiple worksheets with different letters out of the box. In other words, if you have A for source and B for target in sheet1, K for source and L for target in sheet2, X for source and Y for target in sheet3, etc., you cannot handle it with Trados unless you rebuild the entire structure of your files as Amnon Shapira mentioned above. (Not to mention multiple files.)
In this regard, memoQ is way better.

[Edited at 2020-05-01 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

Efe Bütüner
Efe Bütüner
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 1, 2020

Dear all,

Thank you for all the precious comments. Now I've made sure that it's not my fault Have a good time, #stayathome and try not to go nuts during this #quarantine !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2019 Bilingual Excel File - Help

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »