Protect/Unprotect placeholders
Thread poster: kesquecest
kesquecest
kesquecest
Belgium
Dec 26, 2020

I'm running SDL Trados Studio 2019 SR2. I inadvertently activated the protection of placeholders in segment targets. I can't find a way to deactivate this feature which is very cumbersome. Any advice is welcome.

Elena Feriani

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 14:11
French to Italian
+ ...
I found this (not sure it works) Dec 26, 2020

Enabling and disabling tag protection
When tag protection is active, tags cannot be deleted. You can enable or disable tag protection freely on and off in the Editor window, of the Editor view.

Procedure
Go to the Projects view and select the project you want to work on.
Go to the Files view and double-click the file you want to work on.
In the Editor window, of the Editor view, select the Advanced tab, and, in the Formatting group:
To enable tag protec
... See more
Enabling and disabling tag protection
When tag protection is active, tags cannot be deleted. You can enable or disable tag protection freely on and off in the Editor window, of the Editor view.

Procedure
Go to the Projects view and select the project you want to work on.
Go to the Files view and double-click the file you want to work on.
In the Editor window, of the Editor view, select the Advanced tab, and, in the Formatting group:
To enable tag protection, select Protect Tags. The Protect Tags button is highlighted.
To disable tag protection, select the highlighted Protect Tags button.
Collapse

kesquecest
kesquecest
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Protect/Unprotect placeholders Dec 29, 2020

Thank you for your suggestion. However it doesn't apply to Trados 2017 nor 2019 as there is no Advanced option under Editor. Interesting to note that Trados programmers omitted to add this feature to the keyboard shortcuts.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Look at the ribbon Dec 29, 2020

The 'Advanced' option is at the ribbon:

Elena Feriani

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
The button doesn't change color for me when I select/unselect it Dec 29, 2020

So it's tricky to understand if it is selected or nor. But it's right there in Studio 2019.

Screenshot_1

[Edited at 2020-12-29 12:27 GMT]

kesquecest
kesquecest
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
Protect/Unprotect placeholders Dec 30, 2020

Thank you both. So stupid of me, I feel ashamed for having missed that in my investigations.

Happy New Year.

PS Elena, I'm surprised that in Italian "tag" isn't translated as "faro". It has the same objective although it's another domain.

[Edited at 2020-12-30 09:00 GMT]

Elena Feriani

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protect/Unprotect placeholders

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »