Thread poster: Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:06
English to French
+ ...
May 9, 2006

Hello, all

I have been trying, to no avail, to import a SDL glossary into Multiterm, in order to use either SDL or Trados (I have the SDL Trados 2006 Free-lance version). I believe I do everything shown in either the tutorail, either in the User Guide.

I believe I am doing something wrong when converting the SDL file. Could any of you have the kindness and the time to help me out on that also?

I have written 2 weeks ago to SDLX support tea, but so far I go
... See more
Hello, all

I have been trying, to no avail, to import a SDL glossary into Multiterm, in order to use either SDL or Trados (I have the SDL Trados 2006 Free-lance version). I believe I do everything shown in either the tutorail, either in the User Guide.

I believe I am doing something wrong when converting the SDL file. Could any of you have the kindness and the time to help me out on that also?

I have written 2 weeks ago to SDLX support tea, but so far I got no answer from them. Apparently, when they acquired Trados, the also incorportaed the habit of not replying to customer.
Have a great day and thanks in advance for any help you might offer me

Bruno Magne
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:06
English to Polish
+ ...
Two questions May 10, 2006

Did you export from tdb to Multiterm txt format?

Did you choose the Unicode encoding for the txt file? Just Unicode, not UTF-7 nor UTF-8? Multiterm Convert and Multiterm like Unicode.

The tricky part is on the Multiterm Convert and/or Multiterm part. I'll write about it later.

Regards,

Piotr

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello, Piotr May 10, 2006

First of all, many, many thanks for being the first one to come to my help.

To answer your two questions, no.

I must confess I am quite an experienced Wordfaster and I adapted very easily to SDL. Trados and Multiterm do not seem user-friendly.

Your instructions seem to be the correct ones. Alas, I have a huge job to hand over in France in the first hours of the morning. Considering that right now it's about 3:00 a.m., I believe I only will have the time to
... See more
First of all, many, many thanks for being the first one to come to my help.

To answer your two questions, no.

I must confess I am quite an experienced Wordfaster and I adapted very easily to SDL. Trados and Multiterm do not seem user-friendly.

Your instructions seem to be the correct ones. Alas, I have a huge job to hand over in France in the first hours of the morning. Considering that right now it's about 3:00 a.m., I believe I only will have the time to try out your advice later during the day.

That would give you more time to write about Multiterm Convert or Multiterm proprer, whci are tricky, no doubt about that.

Have a great day

Bruno

[Edited at 2006-05-10 05:55]
Collapse

Bruno Magne
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should I give up? May 13, 2006

HI, Piotr

I have tried everything you said, the manuel said and the tutorial said, all in vain. My machine keeps telling me 0 files were treated. What really pisses me off is that the SDL support people remain silent trhee weeks after my message to them. I knew the Trados people were notoriously unhelpful unless you paid for it. It seems SDL took along this obnoxious habit when they acquired Trados.

So, for now, Tr**** will remain on its shelf and I'll stick to SDL.... See more
HI, Piotr

I have tried everything you said, the manuel said and the tutorial said, all in vain. My machine keeps telling me 0 files were treated. What really pisses me off is that the SDL support people remain silent trhee weeks after my message to them. I knew the Trados people were notoriously unhelpful unless you paid for it. It seems SDL took along this obnoxious habit when they acquired Trados.

So, for now, Tr**** will remain on its shelf and I'll stick to SDL.

Have a great spring week-end and, once again, many thanks for your help

Bruno

Collapse

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 12:06
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Two files! Mar 12, 2020

It can be done.
I imported an SDL Light tdb termbase into Trados yesterday, but it's a bit more complicated than you would think at first.
At a certain moment I had TWO files. One of them has to be used to define the structure of the Multiterm database, and the other one holds the actual content of the database.
If I remember well, the .xdt database is the one with the structure used to define the Multiterm database, and the .xml has the actual content.
You fist have to u
... See more
It can be done.
I imported an SDL Light tdb termbase into Trados yesterday, but it's a bit more complicated than you would think at first.
At a certain moment I had TWO files. One of them has to be used to define the structure of the Multiterm database, and the other one holds the actual content of the database.
If I remember well, the .xdt database is the one with the structure used to define the Multiterm database, and the .xml has the actual content.
You fist have to use the xdt to make the database, and then you can import the xml.

If you type Multiterm Convert in the search window of Windoiws 10, you will find the program SDL Multiterm 2019 Convert.
That program can be used to export the tdb to a Multiterm XML format.

However, the problem is that you need a termbase with a matching definition the import the xml file.
And to get that, you have to make a termbase using the xdt in SDL MultiTerm 2019, after which you can import the xml.

I found a more detailed explanation somewhere on the internet.

[Edited at 2020-03-12 10:38 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing .tdb files into Mutliterm

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »