Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Agrees disappear if a forum discussion is closed?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:08
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 16, 2019

I don't think discussions are closed often, and maybe no discussion was closed since the "Agree" button was introduced, because I don't remember ever seeing what I saw today.
There was a discussion in another forum, and then it was closed by Jared, and at that point all the Agrees that were on some of the posts simply disappeared.
I understand that the "Edit" and "Quote" options are removed from the posts when a discussion is closed, but I see no need to remove the Agrees. In fact,
... See more
I don't think discussions are closed often, and maybe no discussion was closed since the "Agree" button was introduced, because I don't remember ever seeing what I saw today.
There was a discussion in another forum, and then it was closed by Jared, and at that point all the Agrees that were on some of the posts simply disappeared.
I understand that the "Edit" and "Quote" options are removed from the posts when a discussion is closed, but I see no need to remove the Agrees. In fact, it is deceptive to do so.
I hope it is only a bug.
To see what I am talking about, see the thread here - as you can see only the link option is there for each post. There were several posts with many agrees which are now gone:

https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/334072-prozcom_on_facebook-page3.html
Collapse

writeaway
Mirko Mainardi
Christiane Hesse
Yvonne Gallagher
Daryo
Robert Forstag

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
French to English
What's the problem? Apr 16, 2019

I don't understand why this would bother anybody. After all, the Agree function has only been in existence on this forum for a short time, and we managed without it before.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 17:08
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Revealing Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I don't understand why this would bother anybody. After all, the Agree function has only been in existence on this forum for a short time, and we managed without it before.

Because honest and true "Agrees" are revealing.

Yvonne Gallagher
writeaway
Rachel Fell
Ellie Rowe-Parratt
Michele Johnson
Katalin Horváth McClure
Mirko Mainardi

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Yes Apr 16, 2019

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

They certainly are.

Personally, I preferred it when we didn't have the Agree function. People added to the discussion more.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is like removing posts - let's hope it's a bug Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Elizabeth, it is not about removing the functionality of being able to agree.
It is about the fact that "Agrees" that people already put on the posts disappeared. It is like as if they have posted in the thread, saying "I agree with such and such", and then, when the thread is closed, those posts are removed. Do you see the problem now?

Kay Denney
Mirko Mainardi
Christiane Hesse
Daryo
Andy Watkinson
Grace Anderson

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
I understand, but Apr 16, 2019

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Elizabeth, it is not about removing the functionality of being able to agree.
It is about the fact that "Agrees" that people already put on the posts disappeared. It is like as if they have posted in the thread, saying "I agree with such and such", and then, when the thread is closed, those posts are removed. Do you see the problem now?

It doesn't bother me. Moderators have the right to remove threads and posts altogether, so I'm not going to get upset over a few missing Agrees. Although I'd prefer it if they would remove that unpleasant thread altogether. It reflects badly on a professional community.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, there are forum rules, and principles, too Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

It doesn't bother me. Moderators have the right to remove threads and posts altogether, so I'm not going to get upset over a few missing Agrees. Although I'd prefer it if they would remove that unpleasant thread altogether. It reflects badly on a professional community.

Elizabeth, moderators have the right to remove posts and threads that are violating the site rules, but this is not what happened here. It is about posts that were deemed in line with the rules and had Agrees posted on them. If you followed the thread it wasn't "a few". But even if it were only a few, this is about the principle.
This is about how the system (including machine and men) handles the existing Agrees if the discussion is closed.
I have a feeling that it is a programming error where the Agrees are not an integral part of the post, but somehow in another data structure item, along with the Quote and Edit functions and that entire block gets disabled when the thread is closed. It shouldn't be that way. The counter for the Agrees can be locked, but the existing ones should still be displayed.

Jean Dimitriadis
Daryo
Anders Westlie
Robert Forstag
Yvonne Gallagher

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
the point Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

They certainly are.

Personally, I preferred it when we didn't have the Agree function. People added to the discussion more.

The point of the Agree button is to show that you agree without having to post a message that says nothing new. So those who post, only do so because they have more to say than "I agree with Katalin/Elizabeth". It can be helpful to see which suggestions most translators agree with when asking for advice. If you don't like it, nobody is making you use it - although I for one would be irritated if you were to post all over the place just saying "I agree with ..." (unless you were agreeing wholeheartedly and systematically with me of course! )

Katalin Horváth McClure
Mirko Mainardi
Yolanda Broad
Katalin Szilárd
Yvonne Gallagher
writeaway
Daryo

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
Yes Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Elizabeth, moderators have the right to remove posts and threads that are violating the site rules, but this is not what happened here. It is about posts that were deemed in line with the rules and had Agrees posted on them. If you followed the thread it wasn't "a few". But even if it were only a few, this is about the principle.
This is about how the system (including machine and men) handles the existing Agrees if the discussion is closed.
I have a feeling that it is a programming error where the Agrees are not an integral part of the post, but somehow in another data structure item, along with the Quote and Edit functions and that entire block gets disabled when the thread is closed. It shouldn't be that way. The counter for the Agrees can be locked, but the existing ones should still be displayed.

That being the case, perhaps a message to the mods might be a better way to get this sorted out.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:08
SITE STAFF
I don't think they should disappear when a thread is locked Apr 16, 2019

Hi all,

I think this is an unintended effect of a thread being locked, not sure why the agrees would "disappear". I'll look into it.

Jared

writeaway

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the meantime, though Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

That being the case, perhaps a message to the mods might be a better way to get this sorted out.

Thank you for the thoughtful advise. After being a member of this site for more than 18 years (including serving as a moderator for several years), I clearly have not thought of that.

In the meantime, this is an issue that people need to know about, as it affects their use of the fora. The Agree button was introduced after it was requested numerous times over the years, and there was much discussion about its implementation, so I feel discussing this newly discovered problem has its place in the public fora.

Mirko Mainardi
Kay Denney
Germaine
Yvonne Gallagher
Robert Forstag

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jared Apr 16, 2019

Jared Tabor wrote:

Hi all,

I think this is an unintended effect of a thread being locked, not sure why the agrees would "disappear". I'll look into it.

Jared

Yeah, I suspected it was a bug. Please fix it - thanks.

Added:
In fact, if you want to use this thread to test things out, you have my permission to lock it, but let me make a record of the Agrees so far, so we could see what happens.
1st post: 2 Agrees
2nd post: 0 Agrees
3rd post: 7 Agrees
4th post: 0 Agrees
5th post: 2 Agrees
6th post: 0 Agrees
7th post: 1 Agree
8th post: 3 Agrees
9th post: 0 Agrees
10th post: 0 Agrees
11th post: 1 Agree
12th post (this one): 0 Agrees

[Edited at 2019-04-16 13:02 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
United Kingdom
French to English
. Apr 16, 2019

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Thank you for the thoughtful advise. After being a member of this site for more than 18 years (including serving as a moderator for several years), I clearly have not thought of that.

In the meantime, this is an issue that people need to know about, as it affects their use of the fora. The Agree button was introduced after it was requested numerous times over the years, and there was much discussion about its implementation, so I feel discussing this newly discovered problem has its place in the public fora.

Sorry if I offended you - it wasn't my intention.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
My 2c Apr 16, 2019

The counter for the Agrees can be locked, but the existing ones should still be displayed.

A thread gets locked in order to prevent further discussion (for whatever reason...), but in my opinion, forbidding users to show their agreement with posts that do not break "the rules" goes beyond that, for no good (nor rational) reason at all.

Katalin Szilárd
Daryo
Robert Forstag
Yvonne Gallagher
Grace Anderson

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
What reflects badly... Apr 16, 2019

is this:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I don't understand why this would bother anybody. (...)

It does bother me. When I use the Agree button, I express an opinion; 10, 15, 30, 50 "Agree", that’s 10, 15, 30, 50 (paying) members of this "professional community" who express their opinion. It’s also 10, 15, 30, 50 repeating posts that we don’t have to read and that the site won’t have to store. Most important, it’s often opinions that we may not have heard otherwise, giving us a pulse much more representative than ever before. So, yes, I get upset over "a few (!) missing Agrees".

If these opinions do count for threads that you deem worthy, they should still count in other circumstances. And don’t get me wrong: I perfectly know that the opinion of (paying) members of this community doesn’t count much unless "Management" agree with them. It’s their very right: this is a business, not a community service! Still, every time I see members being silenced or censored, I cannot but think: respect used to be good business practice.

Mirko Mainardi
Yvonne Gallagher
writeaway
Andy Watkinson
Diana Coada (X)
Grace Anderson

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agrees disappear if a forum discussion is closed?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »