Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Does Dragon Naturally Speaking work with more than one language?
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
GaryRousseau
GaryRousseau
English
Follow-up on DNS French Version Jun 15, 2005

Hello again,

Thank you for your response Claudia, but I am unfortunetely still stuck.
The version I bought only allow me to install the 'english language or one of its flavor: UK, Australia, or Canadian english language. This looks a bit strange since on the scansoft web site they say that DNS support the french version as well (I bought version 7.3 Preferred).
I have tried to contact them and have support but did not get an answer yet...
I was wondering if there a
... See more
Hello again,

Thank you for your response Claudia, but I am unfortunetely still stuck.
The version I bought only allow me to install the 'english language or one of its flavor: UK, Australia, or Canadian english language. This looks a bit strange since on the scansoft web site they say that DNS support the french version as well (I bought version 7.3 Preferred).
I have tried to contact them and have support but did not get an answer yet...
I was wondering if there are other ways to 'enable' the french language indirectly or through a 3rd party package...

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Gary.

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

Gary, did you buy the French version?
The French version has the English version too, but I don't know whether there is an "English only" version, maybe this is what you bought.

I don't remember what happened when I installed it in my laptop but I have to install it in my PC, if I have more information I'll come back.

Claudia

Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:35
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry to hear that, Gary Jun 15, 2005

It sounds to me like you bought an English version only, but I can't be affirmative.

I suggest you ask in one of the following groups, I found people ready to answer to my questions there. As for ScanSoft Support, I'm still waiting for their answers, not even an automatic one, nothing at all.

This is an e-group for Dragon Naturally Speaking Software Users.
<
... See more
It sounds to me like you bought an English version only, but I can't be affirmative.

I suggest you ask in one of the following groups, I found people ready to answer to my questions there. As for ScanSoft Support, I'm still waiting for their answers, not even an automatic one, nothing at all.

This is an e-group for Dragon Naturally Speaking Software Users.
[email protected]

Ce forum s'adresse aux utilisateurs francophones de logiciels de reconnaissance vocale (Dragon NaturallySpeaking, ViaVoice ou autre) désirant partager leurs expériences et astuces ou rechercher une solution à un problème particulier
[email protected]

A discussion group for translators who use speech recognition software in their work, or who are interested in doing so. This is the place to discuss the pros and cons of the various SR packages, such as Dragon Naturally Speaking, ViaVoice, Microsoft Speech Recognition, as standalone programs or in combination with translation packages such as Trados, Deja Vu, Star Transit, SDLX, WordFast, etc. Suitable for the curious, beginners and more experienced users.
[email protected]

Hope it helps

Claudia

[Edited at 2005-06-15 01:59]
Collapse

SaikoStyle
SaikoStyle
Spanish to English
Medical availability Nov 11, 2005

I was wondering if any of you know if there is a medical version other than the English one. I have not seen any information on nuance websites.

SugaFairie
SugaFairie
English
Can someone answer Claudia's question, please? Dec 18, 2005

I know that it is possible to install ViaVoice Fr, Sp and It on the same PC at the same time.
They are each installed in separately named program folders and therefore appear and operate as separate programs each with it's own unique shortcut. However in my experience there are conflicts when 3 or more languages are installed !

Can this also be done with Dragon Naturally Speaking ?
I am told by one person that it cannot as all DNS language version install into the same
... See more
I know that it is possible to install ViaVoice Fr, Sp and It on the same PC at the same time.
They are each installed in separately named program folders and therefore appear and operate as separate programs each with it's own unique shortcut. However in my experience there are conflicts when 3 or more languages are installed !

Can this also be done with Dragon Naturally Speaking ?
I am told by one person that it cannot as all DNS language version install into the same folder !
Another says a special multilanguage DNS must be installed first, then all other language installations of the same version can be installed and are managed from within the multilanguage DNS as options.

Which is true ? Can someone please tell us !

The Scansoft now renamed Nuance website makes no reference at all to this topic !

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-12-19 14:21]
Collapse

SugaFairie
SugaFairie
English
I THINK THIS ANSWERS CLAUDIA'S QUESTION Dec 18, 2005

From the DNS7 Users Guide pg 16...

"Some editions of DNS 7 let you create and train users in multiple languages.

If you have purchased an edition with support for more than one
language, you can add additional languages by choosing "Custom Install" during Setup.

For Pro and Higher Editions, if you didn't select additional languages during Setup, you can select an additional language when you create a new user"

I think this means you buy
... See more
From the DNS7 Users Guide pg 16...

"Some editions of DNS 7 let you create and train users in multiple languages.

If you have purchased an edition with support for more than one
language, you can add additional languages by choosing "Custom Install" during Setup.

For Pro and Higher Editions, if you didn't select additional languages during Setup, you can select an additional language when you create a new user"

I think this means you buy a 2 language version e.g. English and French plus let's say single language versions in Spanish and Italian. Then install the Eng+Fr version using "Custom Install" and when prompted you add the Spanish and Italian.Sounds like you need to set aside a lot of time as you will have to install all 3 in sequence without a break! I would definitely back this up using Norton Ghost, True Image or similar.
Collapse

SugaFairie
SugaFairie
English
PROBLEMS WITH MULTI LANGUAGE DRAGON Dec 19, 2005

I've tried out the Dragon User Guide instructions and they didn't work !
My single language copies of were recognised as upgrades but in fact I know they are full standalone copies.
There are only two explanations either it's not possible to do this or my multilanguage DNS is not multilangauge at all, yet it has two languages !
Can someone please help ?!

SugaFairie
SugaFairie
English
Getting closer to the definitive answer Feb 14, 2006

At last I'm getting somewhere with this problem.
Although DNS 7 allows multilanguage installations by contrast DNS 8 blocks this capability.

The Scansoft/Nuance excuse is that the software increased in complexity in the rewrite form DNS_7 to DNS_8 and if you contact them directly they tell you how to work around this and they are working on a solution.

I believe this workaround is something to do with switching User in order to switch language. That is my next ex
... See more
At last I'm getting somewhere with this problem.
Although DNS 7 allows multilanguage installations by contrast DNS 8 blocks this capability.

The Scansoft/Nuance excuse is that the software increased in complexity in the rewrite form DNS_7 to DNS_8 and if you contact them directly they tell you how to work around this and they are working on a solution.

I believe this workaround is something to do with switching User in order to switch language. That is my next experiment, I will report back my results soon. In the meantime my sources for these two facts are these two links

http://www.speechcomputing.com/node/356

http://www.tau.ac.il/~itamarez/sr/survey.htm#_Table_#2:_Languages_Support
Collapse

Daniel G Rodriguez
Daniel G Rodriguez
China
Local time: 21:35
Chinese to English
version 10 of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Aug 19, 2009

Fast-forward three years. does anyone know if I can use English and Spanish with one single product, namely the Spanish version?

I'm shocked by how elusive Nuance is with this whole subject. I want to dictate in Spanish, and I want to dictate in English too. Is this possible?

I found some articles that say you can use both English and Spanish with the Spanish version but nothing more is said on the matter. Does that mean that the Spanish version has the full functi
... See more
Fast-forward three years. does anyone know if I can use English and Spanish with one single product, namely the Spanish version?

I'm shocked by how elusive Nuance is with this whole subject. I want to dictate in Spanish, and I want to dictate in English too. Is this possible?

I found some articles that say you can use both English and Spanish with the Spanish version but nothing more is said on the matter. Does that mean that the Spanish version has the full functionality of the English version?

-- Daniel
Collapse

Habib Shariati
Habib Shariati  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 17:05
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Dagon version 10 Aug 19, 2009

Hello

The version that I am using right now is 10, but there's a problem with the accuracy, sometimes needs a little bit of training, it suits lots of European languages, but unfortunately this is not the case for languages of eastern origin? Although its newer version are vista compatible, what should we do? those who want to use it with Eastern languages?

FiorenzaZ
FiorenzaZ
German to Italian
+ ...
Packages and languages DNS 10 Preferred Apr 11, 2010

Hi, Daniel,
Yes, of course you can!My Italian version ( Preferred 10)also includes English , and I can perfectly switch betwen the two.
Hope it helps
danielrod wrote:

I found some articles that say you can use both English and Spanish with the Spanish version but nothing more is said on the matter. Does that mean that the Spanish version has the full functionality of the English version?

-- Daniel

Another similar question: I have the 9.5 Preferred Dutch package and it works as a wonder. Now I would like to update to 10 Preferred and at the same time I would like to use Italian too( for this reason a week ago I bought the Italian Preferred upgrade!), without losing any of my German and French files! The international call center told me that it was possible to upgrade without any problem since the versions are both Preferred and that's what I read:
Edition information / Language
Two different versions (i.e. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9/10) cannot be installed on the same computer.
Multiple language versions of the same edition CAN be installed on the same computer (i.e. Spanish Preferred/French Preferred)
How can I combine the two language packages?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks in advance
Fiorenza Zanenga

[Edited at 2010-04-11 19:56 GMT]

JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:35
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
so far Jun 3, 2010

it is not possible to install Preferred 10 French and Preferred 10 Spanish on the same computer, according to Nuance customer representatives.

Dragon Naturally Speaking DOES work with other languages NOW :) Sep 5, 2010

I've written close to 100 reviews and tutorials on Dragon in recent years covering recent versions 9, 10 and now 11.

Dragon not only works with Spanish, German and French, but also covers dialects/accents such as Australian & Scottish and many many more.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:35
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
DOES DNS work with Scandinavian languages? Sep 5, 2010

Not as far as I know.

Do you?

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Ask Nuance, but French or Spanish version will include English Sep 5, 2010

I have been using the French Preferred version 10 for some time. Generally, it is pretty good for both French and English. I was warned by somebody at Nuance that the only way to get both French and English was to buy the French version. Sometimes it seems to get a fixation about something and, however many times I correct it, will persist in an error. It almost seems to have a perverse sense of humour (yes, I know that is impossible) and changes things to imply murder. For instance, "deskil... See more
I have been using the French Preferred version 10 for some time. Generally, it is pretty good for both French and English. I was warned by somebody at Nuance that the only way to get both French and English was to buy the French version. Sometimes it seems to get a fixation about something and, however many times I correct it, will persist in an error. It almost seems to have a perverse sense of humour (yes, I know that is impossible) and changes things to imply murder. For instance, "deskilling" can become "was killing". If you can't correct an error directly in the programme that you are using, you can always do it from the "Words" menu.Collapse

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
Alexandre De Sena Viegas  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Portuguese Version Nov 18, 2011

Hi,

I wonder if there is also a Portuguese version, or at least the possibility to use one of the versions to dictate Portuguese text, e.g. German or English... The next question is, if it works well with a conventional CAT, say TRADOS or MetaTexis.
Does anyone know something about this subject?

Best regards!

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-18 21:19 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-18 21:19 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-11-18 21:20 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Dragon Naturally Speaking work with more than one language?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »