Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Does Dragon Naturally Speaking work with more than one language?
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Dictating in "another" language Nov 19, 2011

I'm afraid there is some misconception cocerning dictation of multiple languages inside one version of DNS.

Since the speech recognition algorithm used in DNS is a hybrid of phonetic and statistical method you can only dictate in the language of your version.

It may well be that your language version comes in a package with one or more other languages. It appears that English is usually part and pacel of non-English versions. The Dutch version used to come with three o
... See more
I'm afraid there is some misconception cocerning dictation of multiple languages inside one version of DNS.

Since the speech recognition algorithm used in DNS is a hybrid of phonetic and statistical method you can only dictate in the language of your version.

It may well be that your language version comes in a package with one or more other languages. It appears that English is usually part and pacel of non-English versions. The Dutch version used to come with three other languages, AFAIK; don't know if this is still the case.

I have the German version; I can also dictate in English because the English version is part of the German package. I wouldn't be able to dictate in Farsi, for instance, as there is no Farsi version of DNS, hence DNS wouldn't "understand" what I am saying.

Thus, if there is no local DNS re-seller in the country where your language is spoken, or if they only sell foreign-language versions (French, Spanish, German, Italian, Dutch etc.) I'm afraid DNS will be of no help to you.
Collapse

Alexandre De Sena Viegas
Alexandre De Sena Viegas  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:48
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Repeated terms? Feb 2, 2012

Hello again...

Could it be, that TRADOS MULTI TERM doesn't accept repeated terms (source)?
I think this could be the reason why at the end of the import procedure, I only get 750 from the 40000 terms imported.

Ups... Sorry... I just jumped into the wrong forum : )

[Bearbeitet am 2012-02-02 22:01 GMT]

James (Jim) Davis
James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 05:48
Member (2022)
Italian to English
English, Italian premium version Jun 10, 2013

Hi everybody, I just bought premium version 12, a couple of days ago. I translate from Italian to English so I bought an English version from the US site. It was so good, I'm dictating this with Dragon now, that I thought I wanted the Italian version also just for emails really and for Italian language forums. So I telephoned Nuance and they told me virtually that it was impossible to have the Italian and English simultaneously on the same computer at the same time. They told me I could have Eng... See more
Hi everybody, I just bought premium version 12, a couple of days ago. I translate from Italian to English so I bought an English version from the US site. It was so good, I'm dictating this with Dragon now, that I thought I wanted the Italian version also just for emails really and for Italian language forums. So I telephoned Nuance and they told me virtually that it was impossible to have the Italian and English simultaneously on the same computer at the same time. They told me I could have English and French, if I bought the French version, but it's a bit late in the day from me to start taking on French, although well… No. No way I'm sticking to Italian.
Using English in Italian versions of Windows and office means that format commands like bold command don't work, what I have to do is say select command press control G. But of course it doesn't work in this form. Anyway. I think I'll have to turn off the auto punctuation because it keeps putting. Commas, and things in places where I just don't want them.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:18
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Version 9 Jun 11, 2013

I have version 9 in Indian English which I sometimes use. After a bit of training it produces pretty accurate text, but it still needs proof-reading after every sentence which kind of slows things.

Unfortunately, Dragon is not available for Hindi, my main language, though I now and then send them email inquiries as to when they will be releasing a Hindi version. So far I haven't received any reply, nor is there any mention of a Hindi version in their website.

I do hope
... See more
I have version 9 in Indian English which I sometimes use. After a bit of training it produces pretty accurate text, but it still needs proof-reading after every sentence which kind of slows things.

Unfortunately, Dragon is not available for Hindi, my main language, though I now and then send them email inquiries as to when they will be releasing a Hindi version. So far I haven't received any reply, nor is there any mention of a Hindi version in their website.

I do hope they are working on a Hindi version. I anticipate that as I grow older, typing with stiff, arthritic fingers will become a problem and Dragon can help prolong my translation career.
Collapse

Walter Hart
Walter Hart
Netherlands
Combining Dutch and English in a single email Jan 30, 2018

Hi,

I recently started using Dragon. In my job, I write a lot of emails and a lot of documents. Some of the emails are in English and some of the emails are in Dutch. The same applies to the documents.

More importantly, most of the emails and most of the documents contain both English and Dutch. It's rather a mixture of these two languages for most documents.

I have both languages installed on Dragon. Each language is linked to a separate user profile. Duri
... See more
Hi,

I recently started using Dragon. In my job, I write a lot of emails and a lot of documents. Some of the emails are in English and some of the emails are in Dutch. The same applies to the documents.

More importantly, most of the emails and most of the documents contain both English and Dutch. It's rather a mixture of these two languages for most documents.

I have both languages installed on Dragon. Each language is linked to a separate user profile. During the day I am switching from one language to the other continuously. I am probably switching about 30 – 50 times per day. Each switch takes about 30 seconds to one minute and requires that I stop concentrating on the text because I need to concentrate on switching the user profile.

If I have an email containing a complete mixture of two languages (and this occurs multiple times on an average day), I may need to switch 10 or 20 times When dictating that single email.

For the moment I am teaching the Dutch profile each and every English word that I use separately by entering it in the lexicon and practicing it. This also takes a lot of time.

Is there a way to combine the two languages in a single user profile? It would save me a lot of time and hassle.

Does anybody know a better solution?

Best regards,

Walter Hart
Collapse

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus
Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:48
Dutch to Spanish
yes, it works Oct 2, 2018

in order to use more than the default languages your have to
1. buy the pro versions
2. buy the extra language (that is, buy dragon again but in another package)

a. install first time
b. run setup from the second package

call support and they will help you through.

I do this since a decade because I do translate into more than one language.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does Dragon Naturally Speaking work with more than one language?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »