Force dictation box off (Dragon)
Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:15
Dutch to English
Mar 8, 2017

Does anyone know a way to force the dictation box off in DPI 15? I'm trying to translate in Studio using the dictation box, which is doable, but occasionally I'd like to be able to quickly do something in a segment without the dictation box (ideally by holding a key down while dictating). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Olly

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
et voilà! Mar 8, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Does anyone know a way to force the dictation box off in DPI 15? I'm trying to translate in Studio using the dictation box, which is doable, but occasionally I'd like to be able to quickly do something in a segment without the dictation box (ideally by holding a key down while dictating). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Olly

To stop the D.box from popping up at all:

Tools > Options > Miscellaneous
Uncheck: (×) Use the Dictation Box for unsupported applications

You can also assign a keyboard shortcut to pop open the Dictation Box @

Tools > Options > Miscellaneous > Hot keys

Incidentally, why would you use the Dictation Box in Studio? To get "Full Text Control"? Dictation works pretty well straight into the target box in Studio.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dbox Mar 8, 2017

I dictate in the dbox in Studio because Studio doesn't support many Dragon commands (in particular, I want to be able to select and correct misinterpreted words to make sure Dragon gets them right next time). So I don't want to disable the dbox permanently but only occasionally to dictate the odd change in a segment.

Thanks,

Olly

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Alternatively Mar 8, 2017

Alternatively is there somewhere I can find a few simple macros to use in Studio, such as 'select word', 'correct word', etc.?

That would pretty much remove the need to use the dbox for me.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Custom commands Mar 8, 2017

Hi Olly,

Maybe these articles can help:

... See more
Hi Olly,

Maybe these articles can help:

http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2016/04/dragon-professional-individual-14-and.html
http://noradiaz.blogspot.mx/2016/04/a-beginners-guide-to-creating-custom.html

However, please keep in mind that since Studio is not supported by Dragon, you can't use the correction box as you would in other applications. You can, however, by adding a command, select words or phrases as explained in the blog.
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Correction box Mar 9, 2017

Thanks Nora,

So if I understand you correctly, there is no way to call up the correction menu in Studio, with or without knowbrainer? That's a real shame... I guess I can try turning this around by dictating straight into Studio and using force dbox to make corrections with the correction menu...

Olly

[Edited at 2017-03-09 09:22 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Mar 9, 2017

So if I understand you correctly, there is no way to call up the correction menu in Studio, with or without knowbrainer?

That's correct, but I have to say that with Dragon's high accuracy I don't really miss the correction menu. On the rare occasions when I need to correct something, I add it to the vocabulary and that prevents any further misrecognitions.

I'm not sure how switching between direct dictation and using the dictation box would work, but it'd be interesting to hear about your results, as people are always looking for ways to optimize the Studio-Dragon interaction.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Switching Mar 9, 2017

Well I've been trying that out today as follows: if I see a word or phrase I want to correct in a Studio segment I select it with a voice command or the mouse, force the dbox with ctrl+shift+d, say 'correct that', and get the correction menu. Now I would like to know how to create a macro to do this (combine 'select word' with ctrl+shift+d and 'correct that'). Is that possible?

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try this Mar 9, 2017

Olly Pekelharing wrote:

Well I've been trying that out today as follows: if I see a word or phrase I want to correct in a Studio segment I select it with a voice command or the mouse, force the dbox with ctrl+shift+d, say 'correct that', and get the correction menu. Now I would like to know how to create a macro to do this (combine 'select word' with ctrl+shift+d and 'correct that'). Is that possible?

Hi Olly,

That's very interesting. I had never thought of using the dictation box as an intermediate step to get to the Correction menu. I think you may be onto something!

Here's the command that can help achieve what you want.

Command name: Correct (dictation) Note that "dictation" should be in angled brackets, not in parentheses, but angled brackets cannot be used in this forum.

Sub Main
SendKeys "^{PgUp}"
SendKeys "^f"
Wait .1
SendKeys ListVar1
Wait .1
SendKeys "{Enter}"
Wait .1
SendKeys "{Esc}"
Wait 1
Sendkeys "^+d"
Wait .5
Heardword "correct that"
End Sub

Note: The wait times may need to be adapted

Hope that helps!

Nora

Edited to add a note about the command name

[Edited at 2017-03-09 14:57 GMT]

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Screenshot Mar 9, 2017

Here's a screenshot of the command in Knowbrainer:

2017-03-09_080146

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Find Mar 9, 2017

Hi Nora,

Thanks, however this macro (created in DPI, not knowbrainer) calls up the Find box, deletes the rest of the sentence and the 'please say that again message' pops up!

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Shortcut conflict Mar 9, 2017

That sounds like there may be a shortcut conflict, Olly. Studio uses Ctrl+Shift+D as the default shortcut for Delete to Next Tag. To see if this is the source of the issue, I would first try changing the Studio shortcut to something else.

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
knowbrainer Mar 9, 2017

Hi again Nora,

I hope you don't mind continuing to help me here. I have tried this with knowbrainer, where it does work. I only have a trial of knowbrainer and don't plan to purchase. Do you have any other ideas about how I can get this to work without it (I found all the conflicting shortcuts with ctrl+shift+d, but the script now only comes with the 'please say that again' prompt after selecting the word)?

Thanks,

Olly

[Edited at 2017-03-09 16:24 G
... See more
Hi again Nora,

I hope you don't mind continuing to help me here. I have tried this with knowbrainer, where it does work. I only have a trial of knowbrainer and don't plan to purchase. Do you have any other ideas about how I can get this to work without it (I found all the conflicting shortcuts with ctrl+shift+d, but the script now only comes with the 'please say that again' prompt after selecting the word)?

Thanks,

Olly

[Edited at 2017-03-09 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For Dragon Mar 9, 2017

Hi Olly,

HeardWord works slightly differently in KnowBrainer, so that's one part of the problem. The other problem that prevents the command from working in Dragon is that somehow Dragon isn't correctly interpreting the SendKeys line for the shortcut.

This should fix it:

Command name: Correct (dictation)

Sub Main
SendKeys "^{PgUp}"
SendKeys "^f"
SendKeys ListVar1
Wait .1
SendKeys "{Enter}"
Wait .1
SendK
... See more
Hi Olly,

HeardWord works slightly differently in KnowBrainer, so that's one part of the problem. The other problem that prevents the command from working in Dragon is that somehow Dragon isn't correctly interpreting the SendKeys line for the shortcut.

This should fix it:

Command name: Correct (dictation)

Sub Main
SendKeys "^{PgUp}"
SendKeys "^f"
SendKeys ListVar1
Wait .1
SendKeys "{Enter}"
Wait .1
SendKeys "{Esc}"
Wait .1
SendSystemKeys "{Ctrl+Shift+d}"
Wait 2
HeardWord "correct", "that"
End Sub

Notice the longer wait after SendSystemKeys, as that tends to deploy slower than SendKeys.

2017-03-09_100302
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Netherlands
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Eureka! Mar 9, 2017

Thanks so much Nora, it is now up and running with your last script. I might try tweaking the delays to speed it up, but otherwise all good!

Regards, and happy dictating,

Olly

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Force dictation box off (Dragon)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »