Has anyone recent experiences with Dragon Naturally Speaking V 15 and Cat-tools?
Thread poster: Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sylvia Germroth Nordebo  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:25
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Jan 18, 2018

Hello everyone!

I have been thinking of voice recognition for a while and have read the conversations I could find about it here on proz. Has anyone recent experiences from the latest version and the usage especially with memsource and memoQ (I have understood that Studio 2017 is not supported and will not be in the near future, I saw the article though about modifications to make Studio work).

As the program costs 400 € in the professional version and there still i
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have been thinking of voice recognition for a while and have read the conversations I could find about it here on proz. Has anyone recent experiences from the latest version and the usage especially with memsource and memoQ (I have understood that Studio 2017 is not supported and will not be in the near future, I saw the article though about modifications to make Studio work).

As the program costs 400 € in the professional version and there still is no trial version to find out if it really works and would be worth it I would like to ask for your experiences again.

There seem to be good and bad ones with memsource, and I have read that the software theoretically should be full compatible with memoQ. I would be glad for more detailed information about the program at work.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards
Sylvia
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
DNS versions Jan 19, 2018

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo wrote:
...As the program costs 400 € in the professional version and there still is no trial version to find out if it really works and would be worth it I would like to ask for your experiences again.

No reply to your specific issue, but I use the v13 Premium version (around €170) and I've read that the Basic version (around €100) is fine too with what the typical translator does with it. So it may not be that much of an investment.

The comparison table of the features offered for each version can help you choose the most relevant version for you.

Philippe

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, do your versions work with CAT-tools? Jan 19, 2018

Dear Philippe!

Thank you for your kind reply, I saw these versions too, but assumed that these would not work with CAT-tools, may I ask if you use them for CAT-tools?

Kind regards
Sylvia

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Which "CAT tools"...? Jan 19, 2018

I've been using Dragon for about 10 years along with Wordfast Classic and it's always worked fine. I've always just used the Premium version of Dragon, and had both version 11.0 and 13.0 until recently, when my house was burgled and 2 laptops stolen. I think I only have version 13.0 now, on my more recently-acquired PCs.
Whatever, I've never experienced any issues with WFC, other than an early blip with Google Chrome. However, I don't know how it will sit alongside monsters like Trados, wh
... See more
I've been using Dragon for about 10 years along with Wordfast Classic and it's always worked fine. I've always just used the Premium version of Dragon, and had both version 11.0 and 13.0 until recently, when my house was burgled and 2 laptops stolen. I think I only have version 13.0 now, on my more recently-acquired PCs.
Whatever, I've never experienced any issues with WFC, other than an early blip with Google Chrome. However, I don't know how it will sit alongside monsters like Trados, which for my purposes are too complex and fiddly to start with.
Likewise, I've always thought that the the professional versions of Dragon offer too many bells and whistles, and have a much greater capacity than I'd ever need.
You could always try one of the lower versions first, for example Premium, and upgrade to the Professional if you think you need it.

[Edited at 2018-01-19 08:35 GMT]

PS: My friend, who I saw a minute ago, uses Trados and Dragon Professional ...and says it works fine.

[Edited at 2018-01-19 19:57 GMT]
Collapse

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your experience! Jan 19, 2018

neilmac wrote:

Whatever, I've never experienced any issues with WFC, other than an early blip with Google Chrome. However, I don't know how it will sit alongside monsters like Trados, which for my purposes are too complex and fiddly to start with.
Likewise, I've always thought that the the professional versions of Dragon offer too many bells and whisltes, and have a much greater capacity than I'd ever need.
You could always try one of the lower versions first, for example Premium, and upgrade to the Professional if you think you need it.

[Edited at 2018-01-19 08:35 GMT]

Dear neilmac!

First of all I am sorry that your laptops were stolen!

Thank you for your experience, sounds like a good idea to try a lighter version first.

When it comes to CAT-tools I mostly thought of memoQ and memsource, studio does only seem to work with modifications.

But maybe I will give it a try with a light, not that expensive version anyway, to see where I get.

Kind regards
Sylvia

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
memoQ and Dragon 14 Jan 19, 2018

I have version 14, not 15, but I find it works very well with memoQ. I got an upgrade at some point to the professional individual version because it allows you to set some commands.

For example, I programmed it to confirm a segment (Cmd + Enter) when I say "Confirm segment". Or to insert a tag (F9) when I say "Insert tag". Before I was using that ability, I could dictate the text, but whenever I had to add a tag or confirm a segment, I would have to go back to the keyboard. So I fo
... See more
I have version 14, not 15, but I find it works very well with memoQ. I got an upgrade at some point to the professional individual version because it allows you to set some commands.

For example, I programmed it to confirm a segment (Cmd + Enter) when I say "Confirm segment". Or to insert a tag (F9) when I say "Insert tag". Before I was using that ability, I could dictate the text, but whenever I had to add a tag or confirm a segment, I would have to go back to the keyboard. So I found my work with memoQ + DNS became much more efficient.
Collapse

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your very helpfull comment Jan 19, 2018

Kelly Neudorfer wrote:

For example, I programmed it to confirm a segment (Cmd + Enter) when I say "Confirm segment". Or to insert a tag (F9) when I say "Insert tag". Before I was using that ability, I could dictate the text, but whenever I had to add a tag or confirm a segment, I would have to go back to the keyboard. So I found my work with memoQ + DNS became much more efficient.

Dear Kelly!

Thank you very much for your helpfull comment on memoQ and DNS professional, very interesting to hear.

Kind regards

Sylvia

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:25
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Upcoming Webinar Jan 19, 2018

Hello,

If you're interested in seeing how Dragon works with Trados, there's a webinar next week that might be worth a look:

https://www.sdltrados.com/events/webinars/2018/january/increase-your-translation-speed-in-2018-with-voice-recognition-software.html

Like Kelly, I
... See more
Hello,

If you're interested in seeing how Dragon works with Trados, there's a webinar next week that might be worth a look:

https://www.sdltrados.com/events/webinars/2018/january/increase-your-translation-speed-in-2018-with-voice-recognition-software.html

Like Kelly, I also have DPI 14 and the ability to write your own commands in my opinion makes a big difference from the Premium version, which I had for several years before getting the Professional Individual version.
Collapse

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the interesting link! Jan 19, 2018

Nora Diaz wrote:

Hello,

Like Kelly, I also have DPI 14 and the ability to write your own commands in my opinion makes a big difference from the Premium version, which I had for several years before getting the Professional Individual version.

Dear Nora!

Thank you for your link! I think I read your article and saw your video about integrating Dragon in Studio, which I found very interesting. If I remember it correctly you made your own modifications to be able to use commands in Studio.

Kind regards
Sylvia

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your helpfull input! Jan 19, 2018

I just wanted to thank you all.

I actually bought "Home 13" now, just to try it out, I have the option to upgrade to the professional version.

I am actually quite impressed. I tried it with memoQ, Studio and memsource today and it worked quite well, although I was not able to use commands. I thought it would not work at all with Studio, but it did, opening an extra field which is integrated in the segment by one click, it works fine for me. For memsource it was the sam
... See more
I just wanted to thank you all.

I actually bought "Home 13" now, just to try it out, I have the option to upgrade to the professional version.

I am actually quite impressed. I tried it with memoQ, Studio and memsource today and it worked quite well, although I was not able to use commands. I thought it would not work at all with Studio, but it did, opening an extra field which is integrated in the segment by one click, it works fine for me. For memsource it was the same, an extra field, where the content can be integrated in the open segment by one click. In memoQ you just work in the opened segment. I could work with the program right from the beginning, I was very impressed how good the recognition was.

For me it is mostly about to be able to change my way of working, sometimes typing, sometimes speaking. I will have to try it out for some time to see if it can save some time. I worked on a translation with more technical content today where I had the impression that I was a bit faster. I was not quite sure if it really worked for the marketing translation today, but maybe I have to get used to it a bit more.

So thank you all for your help!

Have a nice weekend.

Kind regards
Sylvia
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dragon and Studio Jan 19, 2018

Hi Sylvia,

Yes, that's right. Since Dragon version 13, some applications are no longer officially supported by Dragon, which means that native full-text-control is not available in those programs, meaning that you can't natively say "Select [insert word here]" for example and have the word be selected in your program. Studio, which is my main CAT tool, is one of those apps affected by this. However, since Dragon version 14, the professional version, which allows command scripting, b
... See more
Hi Sylvia,

Yes, that's right. Since Dragon version 13, some applications are no longer officially supported by Dragon, which means that native full-text-control is not available in those programs, meaning that you can't natively say "Select [insert word here]" for example and have the word be selected in your program. Studio, which is my main CAT tool, is one of those apps affected by this. However, since Dragon version 14, the professional version, which allows command scripting, became available at a very affordable price, and by understanding how to create and use commands for any program with Dragon Professional Individual 14, you can do practically anything you want in terms of controlling the program by voice in addition to dictating, so adding commands to select, cut, paste, move text around, add tags, copy source to target, confirm segments, apply filters, find and replace text, select text and launch a Google search, etc. is possible if you have the right version of Dragon (a Professional version). This is what I'll explain in next week's webinar, so if you're free, please join us. Of course the focus will be on combining Dragon and Studio, but many of the things you'll see demonstrated in the webinar can easily be applied to other CAT tools and in fact to any other program.
Collapse

Nora Diaz
Mexico
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The dictation window Jan 19, 2018

Sylvia Germroth Nordebo wrote:

...opening an extra field which is integrated in the segment by one click...

You can change this and dictate directly into the Studio or Memsource segment by going to Options in Dragon and unchecking the "Use dictation window for unsupported applications" box.

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
may I ask... Apr 12, 2018

...how this whole thing works? I have just come across DNS (due to my bad spine) and think about trying it, but I have no clue how it works. Can this be used with SmartCat as well, for example? Maybe somebody could give me a short intro

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone recent experiences with Dragon Naturally Speaking V 15 and Cat-tools?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »