Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:17
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
Nov 7, 2017

Hi there,

how much would you charge for subtitling if the translation was provided, so you only had to do the timing, fitting the text into the film, so to say?

Thanks!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:17
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
That's the key point, fitting Nov 7, 2017

It depends on the kind of translation you get.

If I get a translation from a colleague who is skilled and experienced in translating for subtitling, I charge the same as for time-spotting my own translation, i.e. 30% of my per-minute rate for translation.

In order to give you the entire picture, I only translate between EN-PT, however I do speak IT+FR+ES. So I have carefully selected a few partners, who are very competent in translating into/from the latter three for su
... See more
It depends on the kind of translation you get.

If I get a translation from a colleague who is skilled and experienced in translating for subtitling, I charge the same as for time-spotting my own translation, i.e. 30% of my per-minute rate for translation.

In order to give you the entire picture, I only translate between EN-PT, however I do speak IT+FR+ES. So I have carefully selected a few partners, who are very competent in translating into/from the latter three for subtitling, however not particularly fond/skillful in time-spotting and/or burning subtitles. When they do it, I charge the same, as if I had translated it.

I don't subtitle videos translated from or into languages that I don't speak. I wouldn't know when a subtitle should go on or off. Furthermore, if they come pre-timed, but use a non-Latin alphabet, I wouldn't notice if the subtitles I burned came out mirrored and/or upside down!

However if the translation was done by someone not so skilled in subtitling, it may lack conciseness, rhythm, adequacy, etc. Chances are that they'll have translated the entire script. If the output is in PT or EN, I can fix/adjust and chop/slice that translation for subtitles, but I'll charge 50% of my per-minute rate for translation. If the output is in any other language, I won't be able to do that; my writing in the three additional languages I speak is definitely not reliable; that's why I don't translate them.
Collapse

Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:17
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 7, 2017

Thank you for your reply! I haven't seen the translation yet, but I was told I wouldn't need to touch the translation and only do the rest.
Of course, I would never handle anything that isn't in my language pair - means only trouble in the end

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling with provided translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »