Thread poster: Ismael Romero
Ismael Romero
Ismael Romero
Colombia
Local time: 08:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 2, 2018

Hi everyone! I'm pretty new in the subtitling field and I'm training myself getting some experience before going out so I created some srt. files using Subtitle Edit.
The thing is that when I play or hardcode the subtitles in the video some of them appear in the right place all the way down in the bottom but some others appear above and it doesn't look good at all. I've tried everything and nothing worked. i'm using VLC video editor and player but I think the issue comes from Subtitle Edit
... See more
Hi everyone! I'm pretty new in the subtitling field and I'm training myself getting some experience before going out so I created some srt. files using Subtitle Edit.
The thing is that when I play or hardcode the subtitles in the video some of them appear in the right place all the way down in the bottom but some others appear above and it doesn't look good at all. I've tried everything and nothing worked. i'm using VLC video editor and player but I think the issue comes from Subtitle Edit. I don't know how to upload pictures to posts so I owe you them.
Thank you very much.
Collapse

Reşat Bir
Reşat Bir
Türkiye
Local time: 16:36
English to Turkish
+ ...
How to change the position of a subtitle Feb 4, 2018

Hi Ismael,

To change the position of a subtitle in Subtitle Edit, right click > alignment and choose the new position. Or simply, you can manually add "{\an8}" to the beginning of the subtitle line that you want to move to top, and add "{\an2}" for the subtitles you want to move to the bottom of the screen.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
Reşat

Ismael Romero
Ismael Romero
Colombia
Local time: 08:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misplaced subtitles Feb 5, 2018

HI Reşat Bir, thank you very much for your answer.
I've tried what you suggested me and it didn't work (very strange since it seems to be the right thing to do) so I e-mailed the creator of the software and I'm waiting for an answer. I remember that at first I had many overlapped subtitles that I believe match with those misplaced subtitles. I fixed them all, but the problem still persists.
Thank you very much for your time.
Best Regards,
Ismael.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Possible weird reasons for subtitles going up and down Feb 5, 2018

As you are using SRT, the possibilities are limited. If they were SSA or ASS there would be many more.

1. Some additional lines after the subtitle
2. Overlapping times

For (1), open your SRT file on the Windows Notepad, and check if the subtitles are irregularly spaced.
For (2), I think SE had some tool to check the time gap between one subtitle and the next one.

If you have subtitles time-wise overlapping with blank subtitles, the latter may ca
... See more
As you are using SRT, the possibilities are limited. If they were SSA or ASS there would be many more.

1. Some additional lines after the subtitle
2. Overlapping times

For (1), open your SRT file on the Windows Notepad, and check if the subtitles are irregularly spaced.
For (2), I think SE had some tool to check the time gap between one subtitle and the next one.

If you have subtitles time-wise overlapping with blank subtitles, the latter may cause the former to "jump" in some player/burner programs.

These are rather wacky possibilities, but they can happen.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misplaced subtitles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »