Where to start, which software to use, where to learn?
Thread poster: Evelin Kallisaar
Evelin Kallisaar
Evelin Kallisaar  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:27
Member (2020)
English to Estonian
+ ...
Sep 29, 2020

Hello,

I am willing to learn subtitling. Anyone could guide me? Which software do you use? I am dreaming of translating TV series from Spanish into Estonian.

Thanks a lot!

Evelin

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
Hello Sep 29, 2020

In Spain, Agestrad is providing an online course of one month to learn subtitling and captioning. It can give you a first training. They also provide a one-year guidance after that.

As for software, there is Aegisub, Subtitle Edit and Subtitle worshop for example, there are all free.

But ideally, it would be best to get some training with a professional first.

Evelin Kallisaar

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Evelin Sep 29, 2020

I recently chanced upon inVision's self-study course, but from what I can tell, it is very expensive, although they do claim to give a big discount for their English course because it was machine translated from the original Dutch. It seems that the course basically consists of a book and a couple of videos, and some personal attention from a professional subtitler.

It is unclear
... See more
I recently chanced upon inVision's self-study course, but from what I can tell, it is very expensive, although they do claim to give a big discount for their English course because it was machine translated from the original Dutch. It seems that the course basically consists of a book and a couple of videos, and some personal attention from a professional subtitler.

It is unclear what subtitling software they use, although a previous version of their course used Spot, and from the description on the current web site they may still be using Spot (possibly a much older version). The current version of Spot has a fully functional 15-day trial, and you can "rent" Spot for €46 per month (or get it perpetually for €2172).

[Edited at 2020-09-29 10:48 GMT]
Collapse

Evelin Kallisaar
Evelin Kallisaar  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2020)
English to Estonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 29, 2020

Veronica Montserrat wrote:

In Spain, Agestrad is providing an online course of one month to learn subtitling and captioning. It can give you a first training. They also provide a one-year guidance after that.

As for software, there is Aegisub, Subtitle Edit and Subtitle worshop for example, there are all free.

But ideally, it would be best to get some training with a professional first.

Sounds interesting

Rocio Palacios (X)
Rocio Palacios (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:27
There's a panel of AVT experts at tomorrow's free event Sep 29, 2020

Hi, Evelin!

I just found your post and thought you may be interested in tomorrow's ITD session "Audiovisual Translation: Is It For You?" at 15 GMT. The virtual event is free to join, and there's a live Q&A that you can participate in and ask anything you want to know about AVT/Subtitling to the panel of experts. If you can't make it tomorrow, recordings will be available ...
See more
Hi, Evelin!

I just found your post and thought you may be interested in tomorrow's ITD session "Audiovisual Translation: Is It For You?" at 15 GMT. The virtual event is free to join, and there's a live Q&A that you can participate in and ask anything you want to know about AVT/Subtitling to the panel of experts. If you can't make it tomorrow, recordings will be available

Here's the link to the event: https://www.proz.com/tv/ITD2020
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to start, which software to use, where to learn?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »