Inserting footnote(s) in SDL Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: Word_Wise
Word_Wise
Word_Wise  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
English to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2011

Is it possible to insert a footnote in the translation/target in Studio 2009 Freelance?
If yes, could you please indicate how this can be done.

Thank you,

Alla

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:53
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No footnotes or no additional information (beside comments) in any CAT tool Jan 30, 2011

CAT tools (Studio is one of those) are not authoring tools, so you cannot add any information outside of already existing segments. You can comment on segments or you can enter any information within the segment (ie a comment in italics additionaly to your translation), but you cannot add such information like footnotes. It would simply change the document and this is exactly NOT what is expected. Adding paragraphs, footnotes and so on is possible in the target document when you have the corresp... See more
CAT tools (Studio is one of those) are not authoring tools, so you cannot add any information outside of already existing segments. You can comment on segments or you can enter any information within the segment (ie a comment in italics additionaly to your translation), but you cannot add such information like footnotes. It would simply change the document and this is exactly NOT what is expected. Adding paragraphs, footnotes and so on is possible in the target document when you have the corresponding editing software. But not within a CAT. TBH I can not really understand why some user would need this. We are expected to translate the document, not to create it...Collapse

Word_Wise
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translator's notes Jan 30, 2011

Adding 'translator's notes' is a good and useful practice in translation. There are items which cannot be translated ad literam and often these need some clarification which is often usefull for the target reader. We are not machines, are we? Inserting an explanation in italics next to the term you ... See more
Adding 'translator's notes' is a good and useful practice in translation. There are items which cannot be translated ad literam and often these need some clarification which is often usefull for the target reader. We are not machines, are we? Inserting an explanation in italics next to the term you want to explain is not desirable.

http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/DipTrans/TranslatorsNotes.pdf

It would be really usefull to be able to add these notes while translating, rather than having to edit the target text afterwards.
Collapse

Karin Mitchell

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I agree on the purpose Jan 30, 2011

but I disagree on the means.
You CANNOT expect a CAT tool, designed to keep the document structure unchanged to allow you adding any structural information to that document.
If you need to insert a comment IN your translated text, insert it in brackets and format as italic. If you have the power to edit the text afterwards in the corresponding editot, then you can change this insertion to a footnote.
What you want to do does not fit in the world of CAT tools.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't think it's impossible Jan 30, 2011

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
What you want to do does not fit in the world of CAT tools.

There is no reason why a CAT tool should not be able to keep a list of comments (translator notes) that are output when the final file is generated, but not included in the database of source and target segments, it's just not been done.

Alla: you should post this as a suggestion for improving Studio on SDL's site.

[Edited at 2011-01-30 20:07 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
But I never said you cannot insert comments... Jan 30, 2011

You can comment on a translation in Studio as much you wish. The comments are available within the system and this is not a problem.
These are completly different issues: inserting footnotes in the document means changing its structure and this is NOT possible with CAT. Commenting on file is however possible.
So I would now like to know, if you really meant "footnotes" like those inserted in Word or it was just an unprecise question...

Word_Wise
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
footnotes Jan 30, 2011

I really meant footnotes.
I need to insert explanatory notes. And since CAT tool has the ability to read footnotes in a source document and able to provide for their translation, why would it not allow to adding footnotes which can appear at the end of the text?

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simply because this is not a purpose of a CAT tool Jan 30, 2011

A CAT tool is for existing content, but not for adding any content.
Would you add a footnote in the target, the corresponding footnote in source would be missing - and this is structural change in the document.
When you have a hair-dryer, you do not expect it to provide extensions to your hair, don't you?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
comments on translations Jan 30, 2011

There are different methods allowing translators to comment on translations, but there is always a risk such comments will remain hidden in the CAT tool. For example, in Transit you have an option to add (and read) a comment on each translated segment, but in my experience nobody bothers to actually read them ayway. By far the most reliable method seems a table (say, in Excel, or csv, or anything similar) in which you put the original sentence (with an unambiguous identification of where it is i... See more
There are different methods allowing translators to comment on translations, but there is always a risk such comments will remain hidden in the CAT tool. For example, in Transit you have an option to add (and read) a comment on each translated segment, but in my experience nobody bothers to actually read them ayway. By far the most reliable method seems a table (say, in Excel, or csv, or anything similar) in which you put the original sentence (with an unambiguous identification of where it is in the orignal text), your translation (if any), a description of the problem, etc. This way you make sure they do not disregard your comments just because they have not noticed them at all.

I admit that, in certain types of texts, open-format "translator's comments" (such as footnotes) might be added to the target text - for example, in books aimed at professional audience; but usually such "spoiling" of the output is excluded by the customer's requirements.

Antonin

[Edited at 2011-01-30 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
footnotes Jan 30, 2011

what if the input text has footnotes (to be translated)?
This occurs quite often.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You just translate them... Jan 30, 2011

Everything what IS already in the document, will be available for translation.
The question was about addint extra parts to the document - this is not possible.

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 01:53
English to Russian
+ ...
need to be able to insert footnotes Jun 26, 2011

I support Alla Sion and David Russi.

working on a huge project where I am required to add footnotes to appear Word. My problem is that I am pressed for time and this is where I wish SDL Studio could have saved me the time of going through the Word doc looking for the sentences to insert over a hundred footnotes.

Imanizadeh
Imanizadeh
Iran
Local time: 03:23
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Sometimes Comments Are a Must May 25, 2016

There are many times translators need to insert an endnote to help the reader gain more from the text. For example, we might add a note to include the source language equivalence of a word or elaborate on an issue in an academic instructive text.

I think Trados should add this feature to its software.

SDL_Guillaume
SDL_Guillaume
Adding comments to Studio 2015 May 26, 2016

Imanizadeh wrote:

There are many times translators need to insert an endnote to help the reader gain more from the text. For example, we might add a note to include the source language equivalence of a word or elaborate on an issue in an academic instructive text.

Hello,

This is Guillaume from SDL.

SDL Trados Studio 2015 lets you add comments to your translations and comments, if added to a Word file, will also appear in Word.

Kind regards,

Guillaume

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A good idea... May 26, 2016

Imanizadeh wrote:

Hi Imanizadeh,

Why not suggest it in the app idea competition. I think it might not be too difficult to implement and if people wanted to see "endnotes", not comments, added to a translated file they could vote too.

You can do this here:

http://appstore.sdl.com/competition/language-app-ideas-competition-2016.html

Regards

Paul
Why not try the new SDL Community

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting footnote(s) in SDL Trados Studio 2009

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »