Thread poster: Adam Łobatiuk
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:40
English
Hmnn... yes Aug 16, 2011

Hi Giovanni,

If the Project is really finished and they want to use them straightaway then they just finalize the project and get the TM updated and the target files all at the same time.

Alternative would be to send the target files seperately.

Regards

Paul

Eileen Cartoon
Eileen Cartoon  Identity Verified
Italian to English
Client finalizes packages - or not? Aug 16, 2011

Most of the times I have worked with packages the client (generally a translation studio) sends me the package. I do the translation and the review and then repack and send back. They do the sign-off and create the target translation.

I though this was the way it was supposed to work. What's the sense of sending you a package if they are not going to review it?

Eileen

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:40
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I do the review... Aug 16, 2011

I work in tandem with a colleague, so they get the "finished" product (from the translation point of you - I don't finalise the project). Since they are not fluent in Italian (and they deal with another 10 languages), they want the target file so it can be immediately transferred back into the original format. We do do a final check, but after the DTP stage. So, in this case, it would be easier for the client to find the target file in the package. I have told them that the return package does n... See more
I work in tandem with a colleague, so they get the "finished" product (from the translation point of you - I don't finalise the project). Since they are not fluent in Italian (and they deal with another 10 languages), they want the target file so it can be immediately transferred back into the original format. We do do a final check, but after the DTP stage. So, in this case, it would be easier for the client to find the target file in the package. I have told them that the return package does not include the target and they said it's true. Some PMs obviously are not yet aware of this. If they want it, I'll have to send it by e-mail... and it's indeed the client that finalise the project...

[Edited at 2011-08-16 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
Still unclear on this May 16, 2012

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Interesting thread and I hope I can shed some light on this. First of all, if you Finalise the Project you are in effect finishing it. So no intention to create a return package, rather do the following:

- Update the Main Translation Memories
- Generate the target translations and finish the Project

When you do this the SDLXLIFF will be converted to the target files and the SDLXLIFF is hidden away because it's finished. You can revert to SDLXLIFF if you wish to reopen the Project, but the use of this batch task is intended to be the end of the job.

l

Hello Paul.

Can you explain this more clearly for me? My customer wants to have my bilingual sdlxliff file. Are you saying I should or shouldn't do the following:

- Update the Main Translation Memories
- Generate the target translations and finish the Project

I've read and re-read your explanation but I can't work out if you are saying this is the recommended or not recommended process.

Thanks in advance.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
any solutions? May 18, 2012

It seems that whether I do or do not use 'Finalize', my return packages have missing files, most often the bilingual files.

What my customer wants is a bilingual file and a target file.

How can I ensure that every return package contains them?

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Patrick May 18, 2012

If your customer wants just a bilingual file and a target file, they probably send you the source files(s), not packages. If so, you don't need projects or packages - just open your source files, translate them with the appropriate TM and MT, save the bilingual file, and use File > Save target as. This way you have both the bilingual and targe files.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
thanks May 18, 2012

Adam Łobatiuk wrote:

If your customer wants just a bilingual file and a target file, they probably send you the source files(s), not packages. If so, you don't need projects or packages - just open your source files, translate them with the appropriate TM and MT, save the bilingual file, and use File > Save target as. This way you have both the bilingual and targe files.

Thanks Adam, but I can assure you my customer sends me packages.

The package contains source files. I translate them and create a return package by going into the Projects view, right-clicking the Project and selecting 'Create return package'.

They then come back to me to say the return package contains no bilingual files, or contains bilingual files that are 'empty', i.e. untranslated.

As a workaround I can locate the correct files in Windows Explorer, zip them and send them to the customer, but what I would like is to find the right way of ensuring the return package contains them, every time.

I have tried various options such as using Finalize, not using Finalize, using 'Generate target translations', using the Export function, but nothing seems to be working for me so far.

[Edited at 2012-05-18 09:11 GMT]

Vickie Dimitriadou

Robin Brown (X)
Robin Brown (X)
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
'Create return package' greyed out Aug 21, 2012

Just upgraded to Studio 2011 from 2009. I've never been able to generate a return package. This option is always greyed out! I can return the sdlxliff files and a cleaned target file OK, but the client specifies a return package. They have sent me screen dumps and instructions all of which I have faithfully followed, and I have combed Studio's Help, but still unable to send that pesky return package!

The client always sends me a package.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:40
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL Studio Return Package files are untranslated despite translation May 17, 2013

Apparently this issue never got resolved. I have the same problem, but only for IDML files. My agency sends me Studio 2011 packages that contain various file types. The IDML files, despite translation and confirmation, show as untranslated in the "return package wizard".

photo Ruumlckpaketuntranslated.jpg

Patrick Stenson wrote:

The package contains source files. I translate them and create a return package by going into the Projects view, right-clicking the Project and selecting 'Create return package'.

They then come back to me to say the return package contains no bilingual files, or contains bilingual files that are 'empty', i.e. untranslated.

I have tried various options such as using Finalize, not using Finalize, using 'Generate target translations', using the Export function, but nothing seems to be working for me so far.

Vickie Dimitriadou

Vickie Dimitriadou
Vickie Dimitriadou
Local time: 09:40
English to Greek
Problem not solved yet (Studio 2019) Apr 30, 2021

After so many years, the problem has not been solved.

When I create a return package in Studio 2019, the translated and/or edited bilingual files DO NOT show up in the target folder.

The target folder still contains the xliff files that I received with the ppx package from the client.

I have to copy the translated files from the project folder and paste them in the return package target folder to overwrite the originals.

No clear answer has bee
... See more
After so many years, the problem has not been solved.

When I create a return package in Studio 2019, the translated and/or edited bilingual files DO NOT show up in the target folder.

The target folder still contains the xliff files that I received with the ppx package from the client.

I have to copy the translated files from the project folder and paste them in the return package target folder to overwrite the originals.

No clear answer has been provided to this thread as regards this particular issue.

Either I am doing something wrong or SDL cannot figure out what the problem is.

This problem/issue exists in Studio versions 2009, 2011, 2019 that I have used so far.

Clients require ready (updated) xliff files in a return package.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio Return Package Content Problem

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »