Thread poster: Oliver Pekelharing
William Pairman
William Pairman  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:22
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
It would be nice... Aug 19, 2016

... if SDL actually addressed these problems.

A programme designed to save us time shouldn't have a major glitch that wastes so much of it.

Christopher & Rozilene Frye
Christopher & Rozilene Frye  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:22
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Us, to! "dependency file not found" Sep 21, 2016

We had the same problem and have tried all the suggested fixes, but with no success (Trados Studio 2015, Windows 8.1). I tried navigating to the original file, but we had dozens of files in this job and it was impossible to know which was which. I tried finding a way to stop my anti-virus software or Windows from deleting the temporary files, but I just got lost in the weeds and couldn't find where/how to do that, and it doesn't sound like a very good solution, because the temporary file fold is... See more
We had the same problem and have tried all the suggested fixes, but with no success (Trados Studio 2015, Windows 8.1). I tried navigating to the original file, but we had dozens of files in this job and it was impossible to know which was which. I tried finding a way to stop my anti-virus software or Windows from deleting the temporary files, but I just got lost in the weeds and couldn't find where/how to do that, and it doesn't sound like a very good solution, because the temporary file fold is HUGE and it needs to be deleted. SO... I was wondering what folks think of this, for our situation. When we have a multiple file job, we usually open all the files together, so auto-propagation makes changes in all the files at once. We haven't be merging the files, because opening them all at once leaves us more options. But, it ocurred to me that if I have only one, combined file, then it would be way easier to navigate to the original and see if that actually works. What do folks think? Maybe SDL will address this problem in it's new 2017 version coming out soon.Collapse

sdl_roman
sdl_roman
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:22
SDL online community Sep 22, 2016

Hi Christopher & Rozilene,

I am sorry to hear that you having a problem with the Studio 2015.

Please feel free to contact our FREE online SDL Community which staffed with industry experts and where I am sure you will find a solution to the issue.

http://xl8.one

Kind regards,

SDL_Roman

Frank van 't Veer
Frank van 't Veer  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Changing the storage location for the dependency files Dec 20, 2016

Is it possible to change the storage location of the dependency files to a place that is not checked by these 'computer health applications'? Just the other day, I had a similar problem with dependency files being erased by an application, leading to a corrupt return package. Does any one know where this dependency file storage setting is located in Studio?

Calvo
Calvo  Identity Verified
Danish to Spanish
+ ...
It works! Oct 14, 2020

[Alexa Dubreuil wrote:]

So basically, when Studio asked "Would you like to browse for the file?" I said ’yes’ and went to the Studio folder containing the source file. In my case, the source file was in English so I went in the "\en-GB" sub-folder created by Studio in the Project folder. Then I chose the actual .docx file (not the .sdlxliff file).

Oh, my God! This actually works!

I have struggled with this problem for several years, searching and searching for solutions. But this very simple solution actually works, and I can also create target files. Thanks a lot, Alexa (and Beatriz).

/Pedro

[Edited at 2020-10-14 08:45 GMT]

Kamil Gałczyński

Kamil Gałczyński
Kamil Gałczyński  Identity Verified
Poland
German to Polish
Yes, it works Jun 8, 2022

for me too! And I'm very curious, when Paul and company will finally fix this?!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Fix what? Jun 8, 2022

Kamil Gałczyński wrote:

for me too! And I'm very curious, when Paul and company will finally fix this?!

There is nothing to fix. If you create a project and don't embed the dependency file into the SDLXLIFF and don't include the dependency file as a separate file for the user to select, then you will always have this problem. It's not a thing we can fix, it is however something you as a user can control when you create your projects. If you make sure you understand how the software works then you will never have this problem.

To be fair I hardly ever see anyone complaining about this anymore!

Regards
Paul.

Angie Garbarino

Antoine Emeriaud
Antoine Emeriaud  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
English to French
It would be great if you could fix it Jun 10, 2022

Because many of us deal with it, waste time and don't complain

You can find the others by googling "Dependency file not found".

If you create a project and don't embed the dependency file into the SDLXLIFF and don't include the dependency file as a separate file for the user to sel... See more

If you create a project and don't embed the dependency file into the SDLXLIFF and don't include the dependency file as a separate file for the user to select, then you will always have this problem. (...) it is however something you as a user can control when you create your projects.

Do I understand correctly? In many cases, we seem to have two users: a PM (who creates the project and sometimes omit to embed the dependency file into the SDLXLIFF) and a translator (who deals with the problem in question). The second user wants to disturb the first one as little as possible and will rather find time-consuming workarounds than ask the first one to reconfigure the project.

If you make sure you understand how the software works then you will never have this problem.

Is it not possible to make this process transparent to the users (of both kinds)? You don't have to be a mechanic to drive a car, or understand ballistics to play tennis.

[Edited at 2022-06-10 09:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-06-10 09:43 GMT]
Collapse

Polangmar

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Nobody is asking you to be a mechanic... only a driver! Jun 10, 2022

Antoine Emeriaud wrote:

Indeed... but why?

Antoine Emeriaud wrote:

Do I understand correctly? In many cases, we seem to have two users: a PM (who creates the project and sometimes omit to embed the dependency file into the SDLXLIFF) and a translator (who deals with the problem in question). The second user wants to disturb the first one as little as possible and will rather find time-consuming workarounds than ask the first one to reconfigure the project.

I find this statement to be a little silly. If you are sent something that has not been prepared properly you find it improper to "bother" the project manager? How will things ever change? If you take a hire car would you push it when runs out of petrol immediately after picking it up rather than telling to garage to make sure they provide a full tank?

I'm sorry, but this really isn't anything for us to change. It's always worth reading the help, particularly because years ago this topic was discussed so much it's virtually common knowledge by now. This is the first time I've seen this come up for a very long time. Trados Studio was designed to allow you to share an SDXLIFF on it's own. But to be able to recreate a target file from it you either have to have the original source or it must have been embedded into the SDLXLIFF so you do get this file when you receive the SDLXLIFF. How else do you think Studio can possibly recreate the target without it?

https://docs.rws.com/813470/553961/trados-studio-2021-sr2/configuring-sdl-xliff-file-types

Packages are similar. You can keep the package size down by not including the source file in it and many project managers do this on purpose, especially if they don't need you to create the target file for them. If they do, or if they want you to proofread a target file fully formatted, then they need to make sure that they provide you with the files you need to be able to to do this.

What is the problem with going back to the project manager if they ask you for this and don't give you the files you need? How will they ever know if you carry on letting them work in ignorance?

Antoine Emeriaud wrote:

Is it not possible to make this process transparent to the users (of both kinds)?

I just checked through the training materials for project managers and to be fair to you we don't specifically address this point. So I will encourage our training teams to make sure they do.

But I do stand by my point that it's always important to learn how the software works. Workarounds are not required in this case, only an understanding of how and why the software works as it does.

Paul.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Version of Studio? Jun 10, 2022

I'd also add that after discussing with a few people it looks like there was a change made in CU7 for 2021 SR1 that automatically added the dependency file to the project package if it was too large to be embedded based on the settings from the project manager. So that would help ensure you don't see this message when working from a package. But it won't help if you are sent the sdlxliff alone and there you do need to have someone sending you files with some knowledge of what they are doing. ... See more
I'd also add that after discussing with a few people it looks like there was a change made in CU7 for 2021 SR1 that automatically added the dependency file to the project package if it was too large to be embedded based on the settings from the project manager. So that would help ensure you don't see this message when working from a package. But it won't help if you are sent the sdlxliff alone and there you do need to have someone sending you files with some knowledge of what they are doing. There is nothing we can do to improve upon the latter because that workflow is simply outside of any controls we can put in place. If the source file doesn't get embedded by using the right setting on the sdlxliff then you won't get it and that's all there is to it.

Hope that helps a little more.
Paul.
Collapse

Antoine Emeriaud
France
Member (2009)
English to French
silly Jun 10, 2022

Don’t google

fichier dépendant introuvable
archivo de dependencias no encontrado
Abhängige Datei nicht gefunden

because you will be overwhelmed by the number of people who are as silly as me.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Hopefully they... Jun 10, 2022

Antoine Emeriaud wrote:

Don’t google

fichier dépendant introuvable
archivo de dependencias no encontrado
Abhängige Datei nicht gefunden

because you will be overwhelmed by the number of people who are as silly as me.

... aren't as frightened to bother the project manager creating the packages. That is what I was referring to, not anything else.

Antoine Emeriaud
France
Member (2009)
English to French
so you did fix it :) Jun 10, 2022

RWS Community wrote:

it looks like there was a change made in CU7 for 2021 SR1 that automatically added the dependency file to the project package if it was too large to be embedded based on the settings from the project manager.

I didn’t see your second message when I posted my previous reply...
The change seems like a good idea!

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Maybe... Jun 10, 2022

Antoine Emeriaud wrote:
The change seems like a good idea!

... although now we have the situation when you might not want to include the source file, or embed it

Sarah Maidstone
Sarah Maidstone  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
German to English
+ ...
Still an issue in 2022 Nov 28, 2022

I've just had the same issue and spent quite a while trawling through forum post.

First, I checked my Norton settings, but the option to delete temporary Windows files was deselected.

Then I tried the solution mentioned in this thread about navigating to the original source .docx file and selecting it. When I then tried to create a preview in Word, I get an error saying that the source file is corrupt and I should please try to resave it.

I have now spent m
... See more
I've just had the same issue and spent quite a while trawling through forum post.

First, I checked my Norton settings, but the option to delete temporary Windows files was deselected.

Then I tried the solution mentioned in this thread about navigating to the original source .docx file and selecting it. When I then tried to create a preview in Word, I get an error saying that the source file is corrupt and I should please try to resave it.

I have now spent more time and energy on this issue than on the short translation task for a new (to me) agency.

What else can I try so that I can check the document in Word and Save Target As and return the finished job?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

dependency file not found

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »