jingmlittlej (X)
jingmlittlej (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:04
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 4, 2016

I am using SDL Trados 2015.

I am wondering if it is possible to translate a document to two target languages at the same time? Normally we have three columns under Editor, one is the source, one is the segment status, and the other one is the target. I wonder if I can add one more column for the second target translation next to the target column?

Thank you in advance!

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:04
French to German
+ ...
Studio works only with language pairs Mar 4, 2016

Hi

You can create a project with more than one target language, but each target language will be treated separately.
This is why the Editor only has two columns.
Don't forget that it is very unusual that a translator translates into more than one target language (and especially not at the same time:-).
Also, the QA checks, spell-checking, Auto-Correct etc. are language dependent, so Studio would need to apply different rules depending of the column in which you are
... See more
Hi

You can create a project with more than one target language, but each target language will be treated separately.
This is why the Editor only has two columns.
Don't forget that it is very unusual that a translator translates into more than one target language (and especially not at the same time:-).
Also, the QA checks, spell-checking, Auto-Correct etc. are language dependent, so Studio would need to apply different rules depending of the column in which you are, which would be quite difficult.

The workaround is to translate into one target language first and then into the other.
Walter
Collapse

Hans Geluk
Hans Geluk  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2013)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Not that uncommon at all - it is needed for bilingual communities! Jan 26, 2020

Actually having to translate documents into 2 languages is not so uncommon as stated here. It is actually quite common in bilingual countries such as Belgium and Catalonia. I have proposed this idea t... See more
Actually having to translate documents into 2 languages is not so uncommon as stated here. It is actually quite common in bilingual countries such as Belgium and Catalonia. I have proposed this idea to SDL and I would love to get your votes:
https://community.sdl.com/ideas/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas/translate-into-two-languages.
Also, new larger screens now allow for such a functionality!
Thanks for your vote!

[Edited at 2020-01-26 21:15 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 22:04
Chinese to English
+ ...
Get out of the sand Jan 27, 2020

Walter Blaser wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but you know, Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Norway has two official languages) but not common to translate into both simultaneous Jan 27, 2020

jingmlittlejohn wrote:
I am using SDL Trados 2015.
I am wondering if it is possible to translate a document to two target languages at the same time? Normally we have three columns under Editor, one is the source, one is the segment status, and the other one is the target. I wonder if I can add one more column for the second target translation next to the target column?
Thank you in advance!

I am not sure if it's normally a good idea to translate into two target languages simultaneous. The translator has to switch between the two all the time, which includes the risk that one translation will influence the translation into the other. At least for the two main languages in Norway, Bokmål and Nynorsk, there is a great danger here since they are quite close, but still have their separate grammar.

So I would rather advice translating into one language at a time.

I don't know how it is with Studio, but Dejavu allows one to have two projects open at the same time in separate windows. That way one can look at one project while working on the other if one wants to check what one chose in one language while working on the other. But switching back and forth between two separate languages (multitasking) seems not a good idea for most of us.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

One source two target languages

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »