Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to change the translation status icon AT?
Thread poster: WorkyWords
WorkyWords
WorkyWords  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:06
English to Dutch
Nov 9, 2016

Hello,
My software is Trados Studio 2014. I work with TM's and with Google TRanslate (connected with Trados through a key).
Works great. TM's and Google help me to find the right words and it makes that I can work faster.

But... every time that Trados Studio 2014 checks Google and gets a translation, the translation status icon of that segment is a blue AT.
Well, that is ok, because it is an AT.
Most of the time I have to correct the suggested translation. Th
... See more
Hello,
My software is Trados Studio 2014. I work with TM's and with Google TRanslate (connected with Trados through a key).
Works great. TM's and Google help me to find the right words and it makes that I can work faster.

But... every time that Trados Studio 2014 checks Google and gets a translation, the translation status icon of that segment is a blue AT.
Well, that is ok, because it is an AT.
Most of the time I have to correct the suggested translation. Then it becomes a white AT.
Ok.

The problem is that my customer doesn't like those AT's (blue and white).
Even in the Help-file of Trados is a remark about this issue.
Trados says:
"Using Google Translate, SDL Language Cloud or an SDL Automated Translation server may violate your non-disclosure agreement with your translation customer. Check with your customer before connecting to these translation providers. The *.sdlxliff bilingual file records if you have used one of these providers during translation."

My personal opinion is that I have to deliver the correct and perfect translation. To do so, I have to search for terms on the internet and I use Google translation for that etc. It is the result that counts.
When I deliver the sdlxliff with a blue or white AT, the customer is not happy.

So I want to change that AT icon.
How can I do that?
1.There is a method: after finishing the translation (in goal), I copy the translation (ctrl x), copy source to target and replace then the English by Dutch again (ctrl v). Customer happy, but it takes a lot of time.
2.Exporting and importing through a TM. But that is also a lot of extra work.

So the question is: how can I change the AT into TM? Trados, please adjust the software. Or is there a setting, option?
My motivation: After changing/correcting the AT suggestions in target, the translation in the target is no longer an AT!
After updating my TM with the adjusted target, it has become a TM segment ('my' tm).
But there is still the AT in the segment column.

Where can I adjust that in 2014?

Thanks.
Pieter
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
It is not only Nov 9, 2016

"the result that counts". It is also the confidentiality issue, that's why your client is not happy.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Don't use Google Translate as automatic translation Nov 9, 2016

WorkyWords wrote:
My personal opinion is that I have to deliver the correct and perfect translation. To do so, I have to search for terms on the internet and I use Google translation for that etc. It is the result that counts. When I deliver the sdlxliff with a blue or white AT, the customer is not happy.
Thanks.
Pieter

The customer is conserned about the confidentiality issue, as already has been mentioned, so to do as your customer wants, you should not use GT as automatic translation.

What you instead should do to get what you want, is to copy those parts you want help with, in GT and copy back its suggestions. Though be careful to trust GT outright, since it can give you rather strange results which don't really fit your context.

My advice, therefore, would be to use GT in the same way you would any other (electronic) dictionary rather than the automatic translation.

I may mention that SDL is a translation agency theirselves, so I doubt they would like to change the behaviour of Studio.

If you still want to be able to remove the AT icon totally, you would have to change to a different translation tool like Dejavu, by the way.
Roy

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 19:06
English to Spanish
Workaroud... Nov 10, 2016

Find the folder in your target language that has the .sdlxliff bilingual files, and with any text editor (like Notepad++) find all the instances of:

origin="mt" origin-system="Google Translate"

and replace them for:

origin="interactive"

I recommend making a copy of the files just in case before editing them to be on the safe side.

VERLOW WOGLO JR
VERLOW WOGLO JR  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Easy to do. Nov 11, 2016

First of all, a word of advice: using google translate and client document confidentiality do not go together.

But if you must, then the AT status will be indicated for every segment in which you used auto translate.

Finish your work, edit, review, as you would any translation.

Export that memory, open another project, import that memory, pretranslate the source doc as if from zero, review and proofread, or do your usual quality routine.

Hope
... See more
First of all, a word of advice: using google translate and client document confidentiality do not go together.

But if you must, then the AT status will be indicated for every segment in which you used auto translate.

Export that memory, open another project, import that memory, pretranslate the source doc as if from zero, review and proofread, or do your usual quality routine.

Hope this helps.

Best.
Collapse

Angelina Galanska
Oda Schwab

VERLOW WOGLO JR
VERLOW WOGLO JR  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Terms on the Internet Nov 11, 2016

Try Babylon.

Where Babylon fails, use google search: put the term or phrase you want followed by the word kudoz or proz.

You will get returns. Check the language pair before u click so u dont waste your time.

You can also check other languages if you cant find something concrete. It will always lead to clues as to where you will find the right term or translation.

Hope this helps.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:06
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
This is not professional Nov 11, 2016

WorkyWords wrote:

You may not have considered it in exactly these terms, but you are asking us to help you find a way to deceive your client.

Clients may have requests that we think are counterproductive or even absurd, but if you have an agreement, you must stick to the agreement. If you think one of the conditions is unreasonable, you should discuss it with the client and, say, negotiate a higher rate to reflect the additional time or effort required. Or simply agree not to do business with each other. One prospective client demanded that I not use CAT tools (not MT, just CAT!) at all so I walked away from that.

From your post it seems that the client specifically does not want you to use MT. If your client ever finds out that you are using MT, or editing files to make it appear that you didn't use MT, or copying and pasting chunks of text into Google Translate so that the use of MT takes place outside the Studio environment and cannot be identified, they will lose all trust in you. And that would be completely understandable. If they can't trust you to follow their requests in this, how can they trust you in anything else?

Lasting business relationships are about mutual trust. You earn the trust of the client by repeatedly performing to the required standard, and by "performance" I mean in all aspects of the job, not only the translation. The client earns your trust by repeatedly handing off projects in a timely fashion and with the agreed format, volume, deadline etc. and of course by paying the agreed fee on time.

What you are attempting to do is pretty much the antithesis of building trust. And it's not something that we, as a community of professional translators, should be condoning.

Regards
Dan

[Edited at 2016-11-11 08:21 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Would give 100% hits for whole file Nov 11, 2016

Verlow Woglo Junior, AITI, ACIL wrote:

As far as I can see, this would result in 100% matches or CM throughout the whole project, so I am not sure if I like that suggestion. It might make the customer wonder what you are doing.
Roy

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
Using GT for chunks should be OK Nov 11, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:
From your post it seems that the client specifically does not want you to use MT. If your client ever finds out that you are using MT, or editing files to make it appear that you didn't use MT, or copying and pasting chunks of text into Google Translate so that the use of MT takes place outside the Studio environment and cannot be identified, they will lose all trust in you. And that would be completely understandable. If they can't trust you to follow their requests in this, how can they trust you in anything else?

I cannot see that using GT for translating chunks would be against using the rule of using MT. To me that's more or less the same as using an electronic dictionary to find terms. But otherwise I agree with your sentiment.

Roy

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
What about segments marked [0%] Nov 11, 2016

Rossana Triaca wrote:
Find the folder in your target language that has the .sdlxliff bilingual files, and with any text editor (like Notepad++) find all the instances of:
origin="mt" origin-system="Google Translate"
and replace them for:
origin="interactive"

This sounded interesting. Which makes me wonder about the following situation, which is similar:

I am usually translating sdlxliff files in a different CAT tool, and before I copy the finished sdlxliff file back into Studio, I reset the "Translation" status to "not translated". For the most part segments are then marked with 100%, 99% or some other percentage of fuzziness. If the segment is not found in the TM, the fuzziness is usually blank.

(The reason I do it this way is to ensure that everything is fine, and that I hopefully won't overlook anything when doing the QA check in Studio.)

But somehow some segments are marked [0%] when I open the file in Editor in Studio, which looks very odd to me. I wonder what I should then search for and replace with as above. I would guess that I should search for
origin="0%"
but should I replace more than that with
origin="interactive"?

WorkyWords
WorkyWords  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
All about trust and... law Nov 11, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:

WorkyWords wrote:

You may not have considered it in exactly these terms, but you are asking us to help you find a way to deceive your client.

Clients may have requests that we think are counterproductive or even absurd, but if you have an agreement, you must stick to the agreement. If you think one of the conditions is unreasonable, you should discuss it with the client and, say, negotiate a higher rate to reflect the additional time or effort required. Or simply agree not to do business with each other. One prospective client demanded that I not use CAT tools (not MT, just CAT!) at all so I walked away from that.

Dan, you are right. It is an interesting discussion. There are 2 things in this case in general.
1. Demanding not to use AT means the client doesn't trust me in advance. I am a master in my language (drs-status), so my clients can be sure that my Dutch is/will be perfect. And it always is. But you are right, Dan, I should walk away.

2. I thought about this 'demanding attitude' and it is not only trust here, why I should walk away from it. I am a freelancer (we say 'ZZP'er' nowadays) and one of the requirements of our laws for 'ZZP'ers' (freelancers) is that our clients may not have the ability/authority in a job to demand how a job should be done. More stronger, as a freelancer I do have to have (formally - in the contract) my own responsibility for doing the job, I have to be in the situation that I always can do the job in the way I want it to do (find my sources, how to travel, maybe outsourcing parts of the work). Otherwise, the law says that there is a 'labor dependence' (client tells me how to do my work). The consequences are that in this labor dependence my client has to pay, not only my fee, but also social security taxes and other taxes directly to my government.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
To a point, yes Nov 11, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:
I cannot see that using GT for translating chunks would be against using the rule of using MT. To me that's more or less the same as using an electronic dictionary to find terms. But otherwise I agree with your sentiment.

In functional terms I suppose that depends on the size of the chunk and whether there is anything in the chunk that could be used to identify the client or other parties in the document.

In ethical terms, if one has agreed not to use MT, one should not be using MT. It's the simplest and most sensible approach and saves a lot of bother.

Dan

Roy Oestensen
Denmark
Member (2010)
+ ...
There is a gray zone here clearly Nov 11, 2016

Dan Lucas wrote:
Roy Oestensen wrote:
I cannot see that using GT for translating chunks would be against using the rule of using MT.

In functional terms I suppose that depends on the size of the chunk and whether there is anything in the chunk that could be used to identify the client or other parties in the document.
In ethical terms, if one has agreed not to use MT, one should not be using MT. It's the simplest and most sensible approach and saves a lot of bother.

Of course, it goes witout saying that if a chunk does include something that may identify the client, then it's not acceptable.
But I cannot see that every usage of GT involves MT. That would mean any usage of electronic dictionaries, or even my TM, would involve machine translation, and that begins to be rather illogical in my view. To me it seems MT would mainly involve translating whole segments in GT. But one may, of course, disagree on this.

It would in a way be a similar situation as the discussion around what a word is and how to count the number of words in a document. It's a well known fact that different tools have different algorithms for counting words. And I would think you will end up in a similar discussion around what constitutes MT and what does not.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I don't disagree Nov 11, 2016

Roy Oestensen wrote:
It would in a way be a similar situation as the discussion around what a word is and how to count the number of words in a document. It's a well known fact that different tools have different algorithms for counting words. And I would think you will end up in a similar discussion around what constitutes MT and what does not.

I think clients that care about MT feel the same way. They don't want to get dragged into endless discussions of what is or isn't MT, so they just impose a blanket ban.

Clearly a ban on MT this has the potential to result in higher costs if the ban results in lower translator efficiency. That's a big "if" for me personally, because GT is very unimpressive in my language pair.

And maybe higher costs are acceptable. Having doors and windows with locks on your house costs money. Nevertheless, most people prefer to pay for the extra sense of security even if, like me, they live in an area with very little crime.

Dan

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
Changing fuzzy match percents Nov 11, 2016

... I would guess that I should search for
origin="0%"
but should I replace more than that with
origin="interactive"?

You can pretty much edit any details you want in the bilingual files (provided you don't have them open at the time in Studio's Editor). I'm not sure where the 0% in your case comes from, but generally if you have a TM match the units will specify something along these lines:

origin="tm" origin-system="name of TM you're using" percent="XX"

Where XX is the fuzzy match percentage (100, 70, etc.). You can edit these to suit your purposes, if you're CAT hopping I'd check what these tags say beforehand. As long as you make copies of the files to be able to revert to a working version, you can play around quite a bit with them. I edit bilingual files frequently to change usernames, paths, language pairs, etc., (sometimes Studio adds a lot of personal information that the client does not need to know).

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change the translation status icon AT?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »