Thread poster: Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
Finnish to English
Feb 11, 2018

I am working with Studio 2011

When I try to import a package I get the message 'specified path, or file name. are too long

I have tried shortening the name, the path, and the other fix that SFL suggests re TEMP file. etc.

Nothing works

Any ideas please?

Christian Schaller
Christian Schaller  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:27
English to German
Shortening the path should be sufficient Feb 11, 2018

From my experience, all you need to do is shorten the path. If need be, make it something like c:\xxx and no more, i.e. don't use any subfolders and keep the name as short as possible. That used to do the trick for me.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Your local path for Studio project+project subfolder name+path of files in the package is too long Feb 11, 2018

Yes, I have this every now and then. It is caused by the names of the files contained in the package are already very long (the client did not think of long filenames being problematic at different stages). When I add to that length a long folder name in my computer (i.e. a subfolder of my project folder), the path is too long and Studio won't unpack.

When opening the package, in the box where you specify the folder the project will be unpacked into, simply choose a disk's root fold
... See more
Yes, I have this every now and then. It is caused by the names of the files contained in the package are already very long (the client did not think of long filenames being problematic at different stages). When I add to that length a long folder name in my computer (i.e. a subfolder of my project folder), the path is too long and Studio won't unpack.

When opening the package, in the box where you specify the folder the project will be unpacked into, simply choose a disk's root folder or a very short subfolder name inside your Studio project folder. This should do the trick for this project.
Collapse

Adriana Ruiz de Arcaute
Erik Hansson

Adriana Ruiz de Arcaute
Adriana Ruiz de Arcaute
Argentina
Local time: 05:27
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
FILE PATH TOO LONG TRADOS STUDIO 15 Jun 30, 2018

I got this problem with Studio 15 and and a package. After several failed tries at "shortening" the path, I just copied and pasted the Studio Package to my Samsung external memory and it worked. Studio was happy about it and allowed me to open the package from there.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:27
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Save to root for the job Jul 3, 2018

I have occasionally had this problem. A workaround is to create the project folder in the drive root, such as C:, then when you are finished the job move the project folder out of the root to wherever you want to save it.

Milada Šejnohová

Deb Chadwick
Deb Chadwick
United States
Local time: 03:27
Member (2018)
French to English
+ ...
Tried all the above and nothing worked Jul 26, 2018

I have tried changing the file name and path but Trados 2011 will not import the file. Any other suggestions?

barryflow (X)
barryflow (X)
United States
File name too long Apr 11, 2020

Try using LongPathTool to resolve issues regarding File name too long. Thank you.

[Edited at 2020-04-11 18:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File name too long

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »