trados 2019: Work lost - TM not updating. What's going wrong?
Thread poster: Sinah Krüger
Sinah Krüger
Sinah Krüger
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Apr 6, 2019

Hi everybody,
I just had to realize that the whole work that I've done yesterday is gone. I really don't know what happened, maybe I've been clicking through the close process too quickly and accidentally clicked "don't save".

Most of the work I've done yesterday was reviewing a huge part of a text I translated the day before and I confirmed all those segments finally, so this part of yesterday's work should be in the TM, shouldn't it?

But I had to realize that m
... See more
Hi everybody,
I just had to realize that the whole work that I've done yesterday is gone. I really don't know what happened, maybe I've been clicking through the close process too quickly and accidentally clicked "don't save".

Most of the work I've done yesterday was reviewing a huge part of a text I translated the day before and I confirmed all those segments finally, so this part of yesterday's work should be in the TM, shouldn't it?

But I had to realize that my TMs (Master and specialty) are almost empty and that most of my work of the last months never got written in the TM (I just started using Trados about half a year ago). Of course I always added my own TMs to the current project and tickted the checkbox "update".

I tried almost all steps described in this articel:
https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

I checked:
- if I have a TM in my project settings, checkbox "update" is activated
- in the general settings “Update translation memory” option is selected

- I run the batch task "Update Main Translation Memorie" but still I don't have any of the confirmed segments of the current file I'm working on saved in my TMs
What's going wrong??

The last advice given in the article I don't understand. Maybe that would work:
"If you have been through all the above points and your TM is still not being updated, as a last resort you can import your translated file into the TM. Go to Translation Memories, (bottom left-hand corner) then File>Open>Translation Memory (Home tab>Open) or simply click Alt+Shift+O from anywhere in Studio. Now go to File>Import (Home tab> Import) and select the translated sdlxliff file.
Hey! Your TM is now bang up to date!"

But I also would like to find more constant solution that my TMs always get automatically updated with every segment I confirm.

If anyone could get in contact with me to go through possible errors I would apreciate that so much.
I'm also happy about every other advice, where else I could get help maybe.

A nice weekend to everybody!
Sinah
Collapse

Enote
Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:41
English to Russian
Try the last advice Apr 7, 2019

I have SDL Trados Studio 2017 so I haven't any problems with this new 2019 edition.
The last advice you mentioned works OK in Trados 2017. Maybe, it also works in 2019 edition.
You can load any translated sdlxliff file in any TM you select in Translation Memories page, using Import in context menu for this TM.
Good Luck!

Sinah Krüger
Sinah Krüger
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import worked... Apr 8, 2019

Ok, yes, now I found how to follow that last advice and it worked. Thank you

I just would like that the TM would Always update while I'm working on a file without any extra effort. Is that a common Problem that you can't rely on that?

Kind regards

Viktoriia Horiachko
Viktoriia Horiachko
Local time: 20:41
Member (2019)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Same issue Nov 5, 2019

Hi, I've been having the same problem. With the first few translations TM was automatically updating but then at some point it stopped. I have tried all advice I found online including all of those in the article that's mentioned in the first post. Adding TM manually is time consuming. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Regards

Ditte Duclert
Ditte Duclert  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:41
Member (2011)
English to Danish
+ ...
My solution: Aug 12, 2022

With help from support, I found a solution:

https://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/02/27/update-tm/

From step 6 onwards it was useful for me.

My client needed to upgrade the Project TM to a version that works with Studio 2021 (or I upgrade my TMs to a newer version, which was easy).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados 2019: Work lost - TM not updating. What's going wrong?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »