Hakan Kiyici  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:35
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 15, 2019

Hi

I have successfully used tag definition rules for the embedded content in PO files. I picked them from Paul Filkin's blog at multifarious.filkin.com

They worked perfectly fine. I used
(\\{2})?
%\d+
\$\[\w+\]
%\w+
\$\w+

The client serves the content in PO and XML files. But this time, due to some issues PO files have very long segments. XML files look have more manageable segments. But tag definitions do not work as in
... See more
Hi

I have successfully used tag definition rules for the embedded content in PO files. I picked them from Paul Filkin's blog at multifarious.filkin.com

They worked perfectly fine. I used
(\\{2})?
%\d+
\$\[\w+\]
%\w+
\$\w+

The client serves the content in PO and XML files. But this time, due to some issues PO files have very long segments. XML files look have more manageable segments. But tag definitions do not work as in PO files. I put them both in project and main definitions.

The worst case I will have to create a custom XML, but it would take too much time for me.

Any idea?

Thank you
Collapse

Giuliana Maltempo
Giuliana Maltempo
Argentina
Local time: 16:35
Member (2023)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You might need some coding here Dec 16, 2019

Let me see if I get you right. You need to convert/export the content of a .po file to an xml format?
If that is the case, you will need to define your target xml schema following the original .po schema. Then you will need some script to read the entries from the .po file and place each variable under the right xml tag.
I'm afraid I don't know if there is any software that does it automatically. Hopefully the procedure is very simple. If you get on well with coding, you can do it yo
... See more
Let me see if I get you right. You need to convert/export the content of a .po file to an xml format?
If that is the case, you will need to define your target xml schema following the original .po schema. Then you will need some script to read the entries from the .po file and place each variable under the right xml tag.
I'm afraid I don't know if there is any software that does it automatically. Hopefully the procedure is very simple. If you get on well with coding, you can do it yourself easily with a gettext function.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hakan Dec 16, 2019

Hakan Kiyici wrote:

I found the article on custom XML on that blog:
https://multifarious.filkin.com/2014/06/01/custom-xml/
but can you give us the link to the article about tag definition rules for PO files? I could not find that article.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

why embedded content tag definition would work in PO but not in XML files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »