Unable to open word file created with "save target as"....
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:53
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 23, 2020

.... because there are problems with the content. Which ones, is not mentioned.

Does anybody has an idea about how to solve this problem?

PS) The file I translated was a to Word converted PDF, and contained photo's (never was a problem before)

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:53
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not sure if this helps: Jan 23, 2020

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/20648/word-file-corrupting-after-saving-file-via-save-target-as-more-than-once

I hope you can solve your problem!

Ann Marie Bohan
Ann Marie Bohan  Identity Verified
Ireland
German to English
+ ...
Same problem - workaround Jan 23, 2020

Same thing happened to me last year. In my case it was something to do with the table of contents in the Word doc (which had been extracted from a PDF) but even when I deleted the TOC from the Word doc and ran it through Trados again, it still didn't work. I asked a few techie friends but still no joy.

I ended up emailing the target Word file (i.e. in my case the English file created using "save target as") to myself (a GMail address). I was able to open the file in preview and the
... See more
Same thing happened to me last year. In my case it was something to do with the table of contents in the Word doc (which had been extracted from a PDF) but even when I deleted the TOC from the Word doc and ran it through Trados again, it still didn't work. I asked a few techie friends but still no joy.

I ended up emailing the target Word file (i.e. in my case the English file created using "save target as") to myself (a GMail address). I was able to open the file in preview and then had to copy and paste it line by line into a new Word doc – 10,000 words for a new customer.

There are some solutions online, such as the one above, so hopefully one of these work for you!
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't Jan 23, 2020

Got a file full of tags, and can't save it.

Thanks anyhow.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sorry to hear! Jan 23, 2020

Have you checked these solutions?

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/8360/the-file-cannot-be-opened-because-there-are-problems-with-the-contente

There's one provided by SDL S
... See more
Have you checked these solutions?

https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio/8360/the-file-cannot-be-opened-because-there-are-problems-with-the-contente

There's one provided by SDL Support to a Proz member:
https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/233206-studio_2009_cannot_open_target_docx_file.html
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did Jan 23, 2020

Unfortunately also with no result, so I spent the evening with copy and paste. Had better times.

Once again thank you for your support.

[Edited at 2020-01-24 11:05 GMT]

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Robert, Jan 23, 2020

been there, done that… I know how it feels.
You're welcome! I wish I could be of more help.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Save in RTF before translating Mar 6, 2020

Hello everyone

This problem has happened to be every now and then and I've found my own solution to be applied before translating.

As it usually happens with OCR-ed files or files with e.g. embedded Excel tables, photos, etc. whenever I get such a file, I simply save it first as RTF file and only then start translating.

Another option is to create a project with the file, translate a few segments and "check" it first if you can produce a target file with "S
... See more
Hello everyone

This problem has happened to be every now and then and I've found my own solution to be applied before translating.

As it usually happens with OCR-ed files or files with e.g. embedded Excel tables, photos, etc. whenever I get such a file, I simply save it first as RTF file and only then start translating.

Another option is to create a project with the file, translate a few segments and "check" it first if you can produce a target file with "Save Target as". If you can, you will be able to do it also when you finish the translation. If not, delete the file, save it as RTF and start translating.

However, if you've already translated the file and cannot open the target file - I simply retranslate the file but this time using RTF file as a source. Since all your translations are already in TM, it should go fast, although there will be some new tags so not all segments will be 100%, but 95%-99%.

Hope it helps
K.

[Edited at 2020-03-06 07:02 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open word file created with "save target as"....

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »