Google Cloud Translation API not working with SDL Trados Studio 2016 and 2019 since today
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 15:11
Member (2011)
English to German
Aug 26, 2020

My Google Cloud Translation API is not working with SDL Trados Studio 2016 and 2019 since today. Has anyone else had and solved this issue recently?

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
P.S. Aug 27, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:

My Google Cloud Translation API is not working with SDL Trados Studio 2016 and 2019 since today. Has anyone else had and solved this issue recently?

I wanted to add that I have spoken to Google Billing yesterday afternoon. API and billing are set and should not cause any problems.
However, when I try to use the Google Cloud Platform with my SDL Trados Studio Plus that I bought in 2018 I only see the following message:

Edit Connection to Google Cloud Translation API (Not Responding)

'Not Responding' only shows up for a sec and then disappears to make place for the following message:

The API key you entered cannot be validated with Google.

I then have the option to retry or close. After closing the message, I read this next message:

Sufficient permissions for opening the translation provider 'Google Cloud Translation API' could not be obtained. This translation provider has been disabled.

Today I discovered that SDL has a small program that allows you to validate the Google API key. After I installed the Google API Validator and entered my Google key, I receive the following message:

Google Response
API key is valid

I really don't understand what this is all about. Two wonderful years without problems and now this...

Tania Kerrigan

Tania Kerrigan
Tania Kerrigan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm having the same issue with SDL Language Cloud. Aug 28, 2020

I'm currently using SDL Trados 2019. I purchased SDL Trados 2021, but have not switched over yet. I thought this might be the problem, but seeing your thread, I'm thinking this may not be the case. The message I'm getting is "Sufficient permissions for opening the translation provider "SDL Language Cloud" could not be obtained. This translation provider has been disabled.

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Marina Steinbach wrote:

I wanted to add that I have spoken to Google Billing yesterday afternoon. API and billing are set and should not cause any problems.
However, when I try to use the Google Cloud Platform with my SDL Trados Studio Plus that I bought in 2018 I only see the following message:

Edit Connection to Google Cloud Translation API (Not Responding)

'Not Responding' only shows up for a sec and then disappears to make place for the following message:

The API key you entered cannot be validated with Google.

I then have the option to retry or close. After closing the message, I read this next message:

Sufficient permissions for opening the translation provider 'Google Cloud Translation API' could not be obtained. This translation provider has been disabled.

Today I discovered that SDL has a small program that allows you to validate the Google API key. After I installed the Google API Validator and entered my Google key, I receive the following message:

Google Response
API key is valid

I really don't understand what this is all about. Two wonderful years without problems and now this...

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Message Aug 28, 2020

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

I'm currently using SDL Trados 2019. I purchased SDL Trados 2021, but have not switched over yet. I thought this might be the problem, but seeing your thread, I'm thinking this may not be the case. The message I'm getting is "Sufficient permissions for opening the translation provider "SDL Language Cloud" could not be obtained. This translation provider has been disabled.

Yes, the messages are similar. Let me know if you find out more.
Well, I placed a case number yesterday. SDL promises to answer within 2 days...

Tania Kerrigan
Colombia
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Having the same issues as you... Aug 28, 2020

Hello, again, Marina.

I've been following your posts and I've been having the same issues. I'm using Windows 10. I don't know if that has anything to do with it (recent updates). Are you by any chance connected through SDL to a translation company server? I am and I'm suspecting that may be where my problem is.

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tania! Aug 29, 2020

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

I've been following your posts and I've been having the same issues. I'm using Windows 10. I don't know if that has anything to do with it (recent updates).

I updated Windows 10 on my computer this month, but I am having the same issue with my second SDL Trados Studio Plus license on a desktop that has not been updated.

Are you by any chance connected through SDL to a translation company server? I am and I'm suspecting that may be where my problem is.

When I work for SDL, I log in to their servers manually, but this is not the case at the moment.

Tania Kerrigan
Colombia
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seems to be working now Aug 29, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

I've been following your posts and I've been having the same issues. I'm using Windows 10. I don't know if that has anything to do with it (recent updates).

I updated Windows 10 on my computer this month, but I am having the same issue with my second SDL Trados Studio Plus license on a desktop that has not been updated.

Are you by any chance connected through SDL to a translation company server? I am and I'm suspecting that may be where my problem is.

When I work for SDL, I log in to their servers manually, but this is not the case at the moment.

Tania Kerrigan
Colombia
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Working now Aug 29, 2020

Hello, once again, Marina.

They haven't gotten back to me from SDL, but I got onto my SDL account, changed my e-mail and password, started up Trados Studio once again and it worked.

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

Marina Steinbach wrote:

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tania! Aug 29, 2020

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

They haven't gotten back to me from SDL, but I got onto my SDL account, changed my e-mail and password, started up Trados Studio once again and it worked.

I changed my email and password in my SDL account, but SDL Trados Studio will still not work with my Google Translation API. Did you install SDL Trados Studio completely new?

Tania Kerrigan
Colombia
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I did not Aug 30, 2020

Hello, again, Marina. Sorry to hear it isn’t working yet. No, I did not install SDL again. I just went to my account on the website and switched email and changed my password. When I got back onto Trados, it prompted me to login and it started up again.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Tania! Aug 30, 2020

Tania Kerrigan wrote:

When I got back onto Trados, it prompted me to login and it started up again.

My SDL Trados Studio 2019 is on my desktop. It has never asked me to log in.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Happy Monday! Aug 31, 2020

I just wanted to let you know that my Google Cloud Translation is working with SDL Trados Studio 2019 again.

The SDL Support wanted to know my email address and program version, and then they asked me to download 'MT Enhanced Plugin for Trados Studio'. That seems to have done the magic...

Happy Monday!

Tania Kerrigan

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Sad Wednesday... Sep 3, 2020

Marina Steinbach wrote:

I just wanted to let you know that my Google Cloud Translation is working with SDL Trados Studio 2019 again.

The SDL Support wanted to know my email address and program version, and then they asked me to download 'MT Enhanced Plugin for Trados Studio'. That seems to have done the magic...

Happy Monday!

I have to correct myself: SDL Trados Studio 2019 is not working correctly! Google Translate API, SDL Cloud Language, and MT Enhanced using Google Translate are all not responding, and I am constantly receiving the error message 'Parameter is not valid'. I restart, restart, and restart again... Finally, I found the solution: I now enter the whole sentence into my TM, and then SDL Trados Studio is so kind as to let me change the segment. Otherwise, when trying to delete only one single character, it's again 'Parameter is not valid'. What a sad Wednesday...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Cloud Translation API not working with SDL Trados Studio 2016 and 2019 since today

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »