Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Oct 14, 2020

I notice I'm still using Studio 2017 and overall quite satisfied with it. One minor issue is the Files list, where the percentage of a file jumps back to the initial value once the last segment is translated. I wonder if this has been fixed in the newer versions?
Those of you working with Studio 2019 or 2021, did you experience any major improvement to earlier versions?

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:25
French to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 15, 2020

Starting in the 2019 version, Trados has included the UpLift technology, which, in addition to the existing TM segment matches, also does fragment matches and fuzzy fragment matches, which is significant. This means that the SW recalls not only similar segments from the TM, but also breaks them down into segment fragments and can recall them in similar contexts. This is a major improvement. This is the first smart Trados version.
The 2021 is primarily targeting team work and agencies and o
... See more
Starting in the 2019 version, Trados has included the UpLift technology, which, in addition to the existing TM segment matches, also does fragment matches and fuzzy fragment matches, which is significant. This means that the SW recalls not only similar segments from the TM, but also breaks them down into segment fragments and can recall them in similar contexts. This is a major improvement. This is the first smart Trados version.
The 2021 is primarily targeting team work and agencies and offers the possibility of working in the cloud. This is rather irrelevant for me. It is, however, more stable than the 2019 version and has a few improvements, relatively minor, but nice, such as no five-language limit and direct access to the app store.

HTH,
Sandra

N.B. I never experienced your percentage issue in 2017 and never heard about it. It may be just on your machine.

[Edited at 2020-10-15 13:14 GMT]
Collapse

A. & S. Witte
Recep Kurt

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
Local time: 14:25
French to Italian
+ ...
Uplift available since 2017 Oct 15, 2020

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Starting in the 2019 version, Trados has included the UpLift technology

Hi Sandra and Heinrich, I think UpLift is available in Studio 2017 as well. When I upgraded from 2017 to 2019, the only differences I found are the new advanced filter window and the search bar "what do you want to do?" (not sure about the English names of these features). I find both helpful, and I use the advanced filter everyday. The filter also comes as an app in the SDL app store:
https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/community-advanced-display-filter/849/

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Heinrich Oct 15, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
One minor issue [in Studio 2017] is the Files list, where the percentage of a file jumps back to the initial value once the last segment is translated. I wonder if this has been fixed in the newer versions?

Wow, I just realised that I have very low expectations for Trados. (-: I don't think I would have even noticed this thing you mention.

Those of you working with Studio 2019 or 2021, did you experience any major improvement to earlier versions?

Trados 2019 had really only two new features, namely a redesigned project creation wizard (which reduced the number of times you click "Next" but didn't really reduce the number of clicking overall) and a redesigned feature-and-settings-and-help search system called "Tell Me".

The Tell Me system works like the search functionality on your Windows start menu, whereby you type a word or part of a word, and the system gives you matching help pages, matching settings, and matching functions, so that in theory you can jump to them immediately.

However, it doesn't really work. I just tried it again: I put my cursor in an unconfirmed segment, clicked the blue "Tell me what you want to do..." button, and typed "confirm segment". Sure enough, three commands with "confirm" and "segment" in their names appeared in the list, but I was unable to select any of them, nor did the results tell me where or how to access those commands. My expectation was that I should have been able to select e.g. "Confirm and move to next segment" in the list, which would cause that command to be applied to the segment that I'm in, or at least that I should be able to get some help on how to "Confirm and move to next segment" myself manually.

Trados 2021 has no new features except synchronization of cloud projects with local projects.

Cloud projects cost money, though (I believe the first year is free). If you're interested, go see some YouTube videos on cloud projects -- I think it may be useful for some. You can start a cloud project on the cloud, and work on it in Trados, and you can start a cloud project in Trados, and work on it in both Trados and the cloud, but I don't think you can work on a project in the cloud unless you created it as a cloud project initially. And cloud projects allow you to group projects together (and the uppermost level of such a group tree is called "customer").

Some people say that they find Trados 2021 faster and more stable than Trados 2019, but on my computer, Trados 2021 is quite a bit slower and more sluggish than Trados 2019, so I guess it's the luck of the draw.

[Edited at 2020-10-15 13:39 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can do without uplift Oct 15, 2020

Already the old algorithms delivered enough rubbish, so I don't expect any improvement from more "advanced" AI.
In the Files view files are never 100%, after the last segment is translated and you save the figure jumps back to the initial value, no matter what it was. This bug has been there since 2011, and we had discussed it then in the fora. Since then I have had at least three new computers and went from XP to Win7 and now Win10. I can live with that however.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Nothing worthy of mention Oct 15, 2020

I was waiting for Trados 2021 because of the announced feature that saves filtered segments as a single sdlxliff file. However, this feature doesn't work with multiple files and packages unless they are prepared with all the files pre-merged, which is obviously not the case for 99% of jobs. Absolutely nothing new for me. I upgraded just to keep my software up-to-date.
And yes, the uplift technology was introduced with Studio 2017.

[Edited at 2020-10-15 20:01 GMT]

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 09:25
Member (2011)
English to German
Never change a running system Oct 16, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Hallo Heinrich,

wenn Du mit SDL Trados Studio 2017 zufrieden bist, würde ich noch kein Upgrade durchführen. Ich hatte zuletzt viele Probleme mit den Versionen 2017/2019 und fühlte mich daher gezwungen, das 2021er Upgrade zu kaufen. Wie durch Zauberhand haben sich jetzt all meine vorherigen Probleme in Luft aufgelöst...

Viele Grüße
Marina

Koume
Koume

Local time: 00:25
English to Japanese
+ ...
Yes Oct 16, 2020

I always update Trados every 3 to 4 years. I used to keep using 5 years old version but started having trouble working with a return package. Although new versions do not have major functional improvements, old versions give us major errors to work when agencies send Trados package (if the agencies are using newer versions).

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
SDL Vendor "special" offer Oct 16, 2020

Stepan Konev wrote:

Absolutely nothing new for me. I upgraded just to keep my software up-to-date.

[Edited at 2020-10-15 20:01 GMT]

I've fallen for a special offer as an SDL vendor when I've upgraded to 2019 less than a year ago. Now my software is not up-to-date and I feel scammed because the only major improvement is now available for free in the App store. Oh well!

@Heinrich, I suggest you get the advanced filter add-on, if you don't have it yet.

Stepan Konev

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
advanced filter add-on? Oct 16, 2020

Elena Feriani wrote:

@Heinrich, I suggest you get the advanced filter add-on, if you don't have it yet.

I searched for it on the SDL site, but "no item found".

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Elena Oct 16, 2020

Elena Feriani wrote:
I feel scammed because the [advanced filter] is now available for free in the App store.

The advanced filter was available in the app store before it got included in the main program. I've used it since July 2018.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Elena Feriani wrote:
I suggest you get the advanced filter add-on, if you don't have it yet.

I searched for it on the SDL site, but "no item found".

Elena mentioned the URL in her first post. It's called the "Community Advanced Dispay Filter", so if you search for "advanced filter", you won't find it. Search for "display filter" or "advanced display", then you'll find it.

[Edited at 2020-10-16 07:44 GMT]

Elena Feriani

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
links Oct 16, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

The advanced filter was available in the app store before it got included in the main program. I've used it since July 2018.

I didn't know that. I will try not fall for the next special offer from my SDL Vendor Manager.

@Heinrich, the link is in my previous post and in Samuel's post. With that filter installed you have all you need in my opinion.

https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/community-advanced-display-filter/849/

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Download does nothing Oct 16, 2020

I today did the update to 2021 and the page thanks me for it, but when I click the Download button nothing happens, nor does the alternative download link work nor can I download on my download page, where all my software is listed. How long do I have to wait?

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
The worse the better Oct 16, 2020

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I today did the update to 2021

You asked your question, you received answers, mostly negative, you upgraded to 2021. It seems to work with Trados this way, for me too

Tomasz Palkowski
Tomasz Palkowski
Polish to English
+ ...
No need to upgrade Oct 28, 2021

I've been using the 2017 version of the Studio and for all its bugs and instabilities I quite like it (I'm a freelance translator and editor).
No need to upgrade until the SDL team has come up with something absolutely brilliant.
But - and it is a big 'but' - the Multiterm module should be redeveloped from scratch. For one thing, it looks and feels really obsolete, like a piece of software from ten years ago. I use it on a daily basis and I don't even touch 75% of buttons. They are e
... See more
I've been using the 2017 version of the Studio and for all its bugs and instabilities I quite like it (I'm a freelance translator and editor).
No need to upgrade until the SDL team has come up with something absolutely brilliant.
But - and it is a big 'but' - the Multiterm module should be redeveloped from scratch. For one thing, it looks and feels really obsolete, like a piece of software from ten years ago. I use it on a daily basis and I don't even touch 75% of buttons. They are either useless or their appearance/location is illogical. Multiterm also tends to hang for long tens of seconds or crash completely. It's heavy reliance on Windows components makes it really sluggish at times, especially on my computer, which still has a HDD.
Trados = satisfied at 75%
Multiterm = satisfied at 50%

Tomasz
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Worth to update?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »