bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:19
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2020

How do I change the settings so that if the first letter of a word is capitalized in the source text, that this is capitalized in the target text?

For example, if the word "Supplier" is always with a capital S in the source text, my target text always appears as "supplier", which means I must manually replace the s with an S.

However, in some instances Supplier is kept as Supplier in the source text, and sometimes it is supplier. This needs to be reflected in the target
... See more
How do I change the settings so that if the first letter of a word is capitalized in the source text, that this is capitalized in the target text?

For example, if the word "Supplier" is always with a capital S in the source text, my target text always appears as "supplier", which means I must manually replace the s with an S.

However, in some instances Supplier is kept as Supplier in the source text, and sometimes it is supplier. This needs to be reflected in the target.

Can this be changed in the settings? I have a very large job and much, much time is wasted on aligning the capitalization of correctly translated/populated words.
Collapse

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
You can find it in the project settings Oct 20, 2020

Project settings -> Verification -> QA Checker -> Punctuation

bendksu
bendksu  Identity Verified
Thailand
Member (2011)
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
still not working Oct 20, 2020

Thank you, Yossi.
But it is still not working. I need to mention that I use Language Cloud, and it is when I use Language Cloud that the capitalization is not carried over from the source.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:19
English to Russian
Add a term Oct 20, 2020

A CAT tool is neither a human nor a dictionary—it cannot know the meaning of all words or identify them. Words may have different positions within a sentence (source in comparison with target). Definitely, there is no way for that. However you can add words to your termbase. In this case, each time you type S for Supplier, Studio will suggest 'Supplier'. And again, each time you type s for supplier, Studio will suggest 'supplier'.
However you mention that you have your target text alread
... See more
A CAT tool is neither a human nor a dictionary—it cannot know the meaning of all words or identify them. Words may have different positions within a sentence (source in comparison with target). Definitely, there is no way for that. However you can add words to your termbase. In this case, each time you type S for Supplier, Studio will suggest 'Supplier'. And again, each time you type s for supplier, Studio will suggest 'supplier'.
However you mention that you have your target text already populated by MT pretranslation that keeps inconsistent capitalization (Studio has nothing to do with capitalization here; MT has). If so, you don't type full words and sentences on this step, which means you cannot use your termbase as described above. There is no way other than manual correction.

If you have 90% of instances capitalized (Supplier) and 10% non-capitalized (supplier), it wold be easier to replace all the instances of 'supplier' with 'Supplier' and then correct backwards, from S to s, where applicable.

[Edited at 2020-10-21 00:16 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Capitalization in source and target in Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »