Could a large Trados TM be causing low system resources?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:38
German to English
Oct 28, 2002

I\'m running Windows 98, Office 2000 and my computer now has 512 MB RAM (which ought to be enough!) but I\'m having the most awful problems. If I run Trados, Multiterm and Word and then want to open another program (e.g. check my email, go on the net, Excel etc.) my computer keeps crashing. I\'m getting various meesages incuding \"Low system resources\", \"ndetect\" (or \"unknown program\" or \"excel\") has caused a fatal error and will be terminated\", \"This action can not be completed because... See more
I\'m running Windows 98, Office 2000 and my computer now has 512 MB RAM (which ought to be enough!) but I\'m having the most awful problems. If I run Trados, Multiterm and Word and then want to open another program (e.g. check my email, go on the net, Excel etc.) my computer keeps crashing. I\'m getting various meesages incuding \"Low system resources\", \"ndetect\" (or \"unknown program\" or \"excel\") has caused a fatal error and will be terminated\", \"This action can not be completed because of restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system administrator\". Frequently I have to press CTRL, ALT, DEL but sometimes this doesn\'t work and I have to swtich the CPU off completely and then reboot. Booting is taking forever and the mouse frequently seems slow.

Is it because my Trados TM is large: over 100,000 units? I thought I had a virus so I updated my virus software, I have a firewall installed and Norton Systemworks, which proudly informs me I have no disk problems. I\'m running out of ideas except for radical surgey: reinstalling Office 2000 or even Windows.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:38
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Trados probably is not the problem... Oct 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-28 10:48, gilln wrote:

I\'m running Windows 98, Office 2000 and my computer now has 512 MB RAM (which ought to be enough!) but I\'m having the most awful problems. If I run Trados, Multiterm and Word and then want to open another program (e.g. check my email, go on the net, Excel etc.) my computer keeps crashing. I\'m getting various meesages incuding \"Low system resources\", \"ndetect\" (or \"unknown program\" o... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-28 10:48, gilln wrote:

I\'m running Windows 98, Office 2000 and my computer now has 512 MB RAM (which ought to be enough!) but I\'m having the most awful problems. If I run Trados, Multiterm and Word and then want to open another program (e.g. check my email, go on the net, Excel etc.) my computer keeps crashing. I\'m getting various meesages incuding \"Low system resources\", \"ndetect\" (or \"unknown program\" or \"excel\") has caused a fatal error and will be terminated\", \"This action can not be completed because of restrictions on this computer. Please contact your system administrator\". Frequently I have to press CTRL, ALT, DEL but sometimes this doesn\'t work and I have to swtich the CPU off completely and then reboot. Booting is taking forever and the mouse frequently seems slow.

Is it because my Trados TM is large: over 100,000 units? I thought I had a virus so I updated my virus software, I have a firewall installed and Norton Systemworks, which proudly informs me I have no disk problems. I\'m running out of ideas except for radical surgey: reinstalling Office 2000 or even Windows.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Your TM is large but I\'ve seen many cases where Trados WorkBench handles perfectly well much larger memories (even 500,000 or 1 million segments) without any problem.

Just make sure that your TM is well indexed (use the function File>Reorganize).

I have converted the whole Microsoft glossaries from csv to trados memory, and I use this very large memory (over 640,000 segments) in background, while working on software localization projects. I never had any problems.

You need probably to check if your system is stable or unstable using other programs.

Try opening and working with very large files in Word, without Trados, or try other tests, using for example a graphic package and loading many large pictures.

If your system keeps crashing it would be advisable to reinstall it or, even better, switch from Win 98 to the more stable Win 2000 or Win XP.

Gianfranco

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-28 11:04 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-28 17:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-28 23:12 ]Collapse

Francesco Volpe
Francesco Volpe  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:38
English to Italian
+ ...
RAM Memory Oct 28, 2002

Did you install an expansion card for your RAM?

If so make sure it\'s compatible with your system.

Enter the systema setup and check if everything is OK.

Just an idea.

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, the expansion card is fine Oct 28, 2002

I bought two identical ones a few weeks apart. Installed one - no problems then installed the other. Now I don\'t know what might be cuasing the problem. What do I need to check in system set up?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
your system resources are too low Oct 28, 2002

Trados, Word, Multiterm, IE and Outlook are probably large enough programs to use up all of your free memory. I have the same specs as you, but \"only\" 256 MB. I have the same problem when I open Workspace, but not when I work with Trados.

I use a little program, called RAM Idle, which allows you to free memory when and as you like. It sits in your taskbar and shows you the amount of free memory you\'ve got. If mine goes below 120/110, for example, I increase it, especially if I have
... See more
Trados, Word, Multiterm, IE and Outlook are probably large enough programs to use up all of your free memory. I have the same specs as you, but \"only\" 256 MB. I have the same problem when I open Workspace, but not when I work with Trados.

I use a little program, called RAM Idle, which allows you to free memory when and as you like. It sits in your taskbar and shows you the amount of free memory you\'ve got. If mine goes below 120/110, for example, I increase it, especially if I have to run Workspace. You can get it from http://www.tweaknow.com/

it\'s shareware, but the trial period is unlimited.

I get many crashes as well, but that\'s due to W98, very unstable....

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-28 11:25 ]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Check how much space is left on c: Oct 28, 2002

A typical issue for Windows machines is the amount of \"virtual memory\" available - the machine uses part of the c:\\ drive as interim storage if RAM gets tight (which can happen pretty quickly when using MS Outlook...). If you\'re running low on disk space on your c: drive, this may bring Windows to its knees, even with 512MB RAM.

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm using FreeRAM Oct 28, 2002

which shows I have around 200 RAM free even when all the programs are working. Ralf, my hard disk is fine: 12 GB free. I just don\'t understand what\'s bringing the system resources to their knees!

JCEC
JCEC  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:38
English to French
Windows 98 ? Oct 28, 2002

Windows 98 is notoriously unreliable where memory management is concerned. Several of my clients have encountered problems with Trados which disapeared completely after upgrading to Windows NT. For my part, I had similar problems with several computers and other applications which were corrected by upgrading to Windows 2000.

E-Word
E-Word  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Help on Windows Oct 29, 2002

Dear Gillian,

Windows is a great software, but when it comes to stability it\'s a real nightmare. I would suggest you to reload all the software on your computer. Try to install necessary softwares only. If something is not used on your computer uninstall it. It worked out for me as well.

Another option is to try an other platform as apple. More stable, easier to use than any PC. Among CAT tools Trados is not running on MACs, unfortunately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could a large Trados TM be causing low system resources?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »