Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:32
Chinese to German
+ ...
Sep 24, 2015

Hi

As I have just set up a new, faster computer, I am thinking about transfering my TermStar databases to an SQL-Server.

Does that really make sense for databases with 15.000 to 30.000 entries? I read somewhere that terminology search in large databases get slower if installed as SQL instead of Access.

And which SQL server would be the most useful one? Would an Express version be sufficient for large databases?

Any experiences or suggestions?<
... See more
Hi

As I have just set up a new, faster computer, I am thinking about transfering my TermStar databases to an SQL-Server.

Does that really make sense for databases with 15.000 to 30.000 entries? I read somewhere that terminology search in large databases get slower if installed as SQL instead of Access.

And which SQL server would be the most useful one? Would an Express version be sufficient for large databases?

Any experiences or suggestions?

TIA
Iris
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:32
Been there, done that Sep 24, 2015

Iris Kleinophorst wrote:

Any experiences or suggestions?

Guten Tag, Iris,

The Express version is indeed all you need. Speed is not an issue. Stability is. At least it was for me. I've installed Transit + SQL on several PCs and in several VMs. After a certain time it started crashing after adding new term pairs. Support told me that this wasn't possible. It was–as a special feature–possible for me.

I switched to another CAT tool that handles Transit projects too.

I don't think that 30,000 entries will be a problem (I had 20x30,000).

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2015-09-24 15:43 GMT]

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
license Aug 5, 2016

You also need an appropriate license for SQL, I guess.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up an SQL-Server

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »