Using the same mark up twice in a segment (in target) even though its used once in source.
Thread poster: jjdelaney
jjdelaney
jjdelaney
Ireland
Jul 30, 2017

Hi guys,

I am fairly new to Transit, but on my last piece of work I had allot of trouble doing something which seems like it should be fairly simple. I translate Irish Gaeilge which requires very different word placing than English. In this project, one segment contained lets say 7 markups, and although in the English this was 1-7 in order, in Irish it was very different. So different, that the translation actually would have required 2 of mark up (1) for example used in different p
... See more
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to Transit, but on my last piece of work I had allot of trouble doing something which seems like it should be fairly simple. I translate Irish Gaeilge which requires very different word placing than English. In this project, one segment contained lets say 7 markups, and although in the English this was 1-7 in order, in Irish it was very different. So different, that the translation actually would have required 2 of mark up (1) for example used in different place, contrary to the source. Whenever I tried to add the markup to a second phrase, it would 'jump' from the first one, effectively being deleted from the first phrase needing the markup. In other words, it would not allow me to use the same mark up on two words in the segment. I have found that other segments DID allow me to do this and I cannot seem to find out why this was. Can anyone help me find out how to control this or make it so the settings allow me to use as many of any given mark up as I need?

Thank you kindly
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
copy Jul 30, 2017

I understand you very well, because I know Gaeilge a bit.
What kind of markups these are? Formatting?
You can also copy markups (you need to check the manual), something with holding the CTRL or ALT and then right mouse button or just by holding the right mouse. Some tags can be dublicated, but some not (these are usually structure markups like references or objects, pictures). But you can place as many formatting tags (bold, italics ...) as you wish. What matters is, that each opene
... See more
I understand you very well, because I know Gaeilge a bit.
What kind of markups these are? Formatting?
You can also copy markups (you need to check the manual), something with holding the CTRL or ALT and then right mouse button or just by holding the right mouse. Some tags can be dublicated, but some not (these are usually structure markups like references or objects, pictures). But you can place as many formatting tags (bold, italics ...) as you wish. What matters is, that each opened markup should also be closed, or you will not be able to export.
You can also use those buttons for bold, italics etc. from the "Edit" page. If you need to make bold another word, you can use these buttons.
The order of the markups doesn't matter, as long as their inner order (opening and closing) is correct. There are many languages, where markups may be placed in different order.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using the same mark up twice in a segment (in target) even though its used once in source.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »