Omri Ofek Luzon  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 00:54
Member (2019)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Sep 21, 2020

Hello everybody,

I'm interested in opening a discussion on the issue of MTPE and TER score, as these two become more and more sought after from freelancers/agencies. Would you change your rates if a project is paid in accordance with a TER score? What is your approach to these projects? And also what do you think about MTPE and TER score in general?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Omri Sep 21, 2020

Omri Ofek Luzon wrote:
Would you change your rates if a project is paid in accordance with a TER score?

I would not immediately change my rate, but would rather try the agency's proposed rate for a while to see if the resulting amount remains congruent with the amount of effort required.

I have no objection in principle against using the machine translation itself as the reference translation when calculating a TER-like score (i.e. on a per-segment basis instead of a global pre-calculated basis), but whether I consider the rate to be fair would depend on the actual calculations, i.e. how discounts are actually calculated. I know that purists are aghast at the idea of not using human translations as the reference translation, but I don't think it's a bad idea to consider the averaged number of edits on a per-segment basis when calculating an MTPE discount scheme.

I would think that such a discount scheme would probably have a base discount rate e.g. 50% and then increase or decrease the discount based on the TER-like score. And the TER-like score would have to be calculated realistically (i.e. not count moving 4 words as one edit).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MTPE and TER Score: How it affects your rates

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »