Thread poster: Sikelia Antonopoulou
Sikelia Antonopoulou
Sikelia Antonopoulou  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:15
English to Greek
+ ...
Oct 28, 2014

This is a thought that came to me recently. We already know that translators have a range of responsibilities. A responsibility towards their employer (if any), their client and, above all, towards the readers and the truth. The question lies in whether they also have a responsibility towards human rights and humanitarianism. Do they have to indicate/report any instance of prejudice in the text? If they come across any hints or clear declarations of racism, sexism or any other type of prejudice,... See more
This is a thought that came to me recently. We already know that translators have a range of responsibilities. A responsibility towards their employer (if any), their client and, above all, towards the readers and the truth. The question lies in whether they also have a responsibility towards human rights and humanitarianism. Do they have to indicate/report any instance of prejudice in the text? If they come across any hints or clear declarations of racism, sexism or any other type of prejudice, should they act on it? And, if yes, what would the best approach be?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on that. Moreover, if you ever had an experience of the type, please do share. What was the case? How did you react?
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:15
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Breach? Oct 28, 2014

Be aware that if you divulge the content of a document to a third party you will be in breach of contract. So while there might be cases where it's justified, it would be a heavy responsibility itself. This is especially true if you are working for an agency and don't know the reason for the translation. You could easily violate someone else's rights by disclosing the content of the document.

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 16:15
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Our job is to translate... Oct 28, 2014

... the document and not judge its contents. If we don't agree with the contents or if there is anything in the document that may give us concern, we are at liberty to turn down the job in the first place.

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:15
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A range of approaches Oct 28, 2014

I agree essentially with what everyone has written. Our job is to translate and to do a good job for client, and respect their rights and confidentiality. If we don't like or can't stomach the content of an assignment, we're free to turn it down. It's certainly not our job to "report/indicate *any* instance of prejudice in the text." You would have to think carefully about when to report something ... for me, the text would have to clearly show that a crime has been committed or is going to be ... See more
I agree essentially with what everyone has written. Our job is to translate and to do a good job for client, and respect their rights and confidentiality. If we don't like or can't stomach the content of an assignment, we're free to turn it down. It's certainly not our job to "report/indicate *any* instance of prejudice in the text." You would have to think carefully about when to report something ... for me, the text would have to clearly show that a crime has been committed or is going to be committed. Otherwise, I would just avoid the client, and possibly let my colleagues know about the client's offensive attitudes -- without divulging the specific contents of their document.

I've never come across a document that expressed any prejudice or described any type of human-rights violation.

[Edited at 2014-10-28 22:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-28 22:58 GMT]
Collapse

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:15
German to English
+ ...
The Irish are stupid. The Scots are misers. Oct 29, 2014

Are you saying that if you had to translate e.g. a text with one of the above statements, you'd have reservations?
We're translators, not diplomats. No one in their right mind sees a translator as a proponent or propagator of sentiment. Translators merely try to explain in another language what the author is trying to express.

If a translator is uncomfortable about certain content, she can of course turn down the job.

In 25+ years I've yet to come across a text
... See more
Are you saying that if you had to translate e.g. a text with one of the above statements, you'd have reservations?
We're translators, not diplomats. No one in their right mind sees a translator as a proponent or propagator of sentiment. Translators merely try to explain in another language what the author is trying to express.

If a translator is uncomfortable about certain content, she can of course turn down the job.

In 25+ years I've yet to come across a text I've refused to translate/edit/proofread on moral/whatever grounds. Even if it's been about distasteful subjects. It's not about me, mere translator.
Collapse

Sikelia Antonopoulou
Sikelia Antonopoulou  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:15
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Conflicted Oct 29, 2014

Thank you all for your valuable comments!

Overall, I would agree with the core of your feedback. We need to be aware of a possible breach of contract, our job is to translate the text not judge its context and, at the end of the day, we always have the choice of declining the job. Nonetheless, apart from translators we are also humans with our own views and values. In that sense, Cilian, maybe nobody would see "a translator as a proponent or propagator of sentiment", however,
... See more
Thank you all for your valuable comments!

Overall, I would agree with the core of your feedback. We need to be aware of a possible breach of contract, our job is to translate the text not judge its context and, at the end of the day, we always have the choice of declining the job. Nonetheless, apart from translators we are also humans with our own views and values. In that sense, Cilian, maybe nobody would see "a translator as a proponent or propagator of sentiment", however, we are the tool that helps do exactly that. This is why I wonder about possible moral responsibility which goes beyond refusing the specific job.

Being a translator to me has always meant being a facilitator, helping share the information and knowledge with as many people possible. So this is where the moral factor enters. Luckily, up until now, I have not found myself in a situation of the type. Selecting your clients and jobs is a way to achieve that. By selecting I simply refer to jobs that would not make me feel ashamed.

Hopefully, I will never have to make such a difficult decision. Should I ever have to though, Joseph, your approach was insightful.

[Edited at 2014-10-29 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The translators' responsibilities

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »