Gabriel García Márquez
Thread poster: SelenaNG (X)
SelenaNG (X)
SelenaNG (X)
Belgium
Nov 10, 2014

Hi guys!

This year I have to write a Bachelor Paper. Now I've chosen to write one about a short story from Gabriel García Márquez. My teacher said that my best option was to choose one out of the Strange Pilgrims stories (12 cuentos peregrinos). But I'm like really stuck .. Don't know which one to choose, so I can compare the translations .. Btw I'm comparing the Spanish story to the English and Dutch translation. And which translation theory should I apply when comparing? I was t
... See more
Hi guys!

This year I have to write a Bachelor Paper. Now I've chosen to write one about a short story from Gabriel García Márquez. My teacher said that my best option was to choose one out of the Strange Pilgrims stories (12 cuentos peregrinos). But I'm like really stuck .. Don't know which one to choose, so I can compare the translations .. Btw I'm comparing the Spanish story to the English and Dutch translation. And which translation theory should I apply when comparing? I was thinking about register, style, form, equivalence, ...

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks!
Collapse

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 05:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
My take Nov 11, 2014

Read After Babel, George Steiner.

Read The Task of the Translator, Walter Benjamin carefully, but critically, keeping his weltanschuung in mind.

Read up about Vermeer's Skopos Theory e.g. in Translating as a Purposeful Activity, Christiane Nord.

Avoid Lawrence Venuti.

[Edited at 2014-11-11 10:03 GMT]

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Hi Selena! Nov 11, 2014

A couple of questions: have you studied much translation theory? And are you doing a translation degree, or something else? The reason I ask is that this will allow us to gauge how to respond to your query. Basically, there's a short answer and a long answer, depending on how much you wish to delve into the murky depths of translation theory.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:22
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
I am not totally sure ..... Nov 11, 2014

... about what your Bachelor Paper should be about, because I have no idea about your mayor, but if you choose Gabriel Garcia Márquez, why don't keep it simple, like "Una cronica de una meurte desanunciada" (I believe this is the correct Spanish title), a total accessible and superiour short story of this great author.

If I understood your question incorrectly, my excuses.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 12:22
Chinese to English
What's wrong with Venuti? Nov 12, 2014

DLyons wrote:

Read After Babel, George Steiner.

Read The Task of the Translator, Walter Benjamin carefully, but critically, keeping his weltanschuung in mind.

Read up about Vermeer's Skopos Theory e.g. in Translating as a Purposeful Activity, Christiane Nord.

Avoid Lawrence Venuti.

Ha! I agree with all those recommendations, but what's wrong with poor old Lawrence Venuti? I find him to be lucid and interesting.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've had disputes with Academia on this one :-) Nov 12, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

Avoid Lawrence Venuti.

Ha! I agree with all those recommendations, but what's wrong with poor old Lawrence Venuti? I find him to be lucid and interesting.

IMHO, he's an empire builder who essentially has nothing new to say (not that there's anything particularly wrong with the latter). I don't see that he's gone significantly beyond Schleiermacher's work (which emerged from the German Romantic Zeitgeist of Herder, Schlegel, Goethe, Humboldt ...). He goes on at great length about his translation choices and I find, at least in the case of Milo de Angelis, that the source tends to get lost in the commentary.

And, just while I'm in a critical mood, I suggest reading Eugene Nida's dynamic-equivalence with several grains of salt - he was after all focussed on sacred texts.

To finish on a positive note, I think Jean-Paul Vinay and Jean Darbelnet., Stylistique comparée du français et de l'anglais: Méthode de traduction. Paris: Didier, 1958 has become undeservedly démodé.

And one of the great quotes about translation La Réforme n’avait-elle pas été avant tout une querelle de traducteurs? Edmond Cary. Les grands traducteurs français. Librairie de l'Université. Genève. 1963.

P.S. Re the whole Foreign-Domestic "thang", any of the following are alternatives to Venuti
• Toury (1980) Adequacy-Acceptability and (1985) Innovation-Preservation;
• Hervey and Higgins (1992): Exoticism vs. Cultural Transplantation;
• Aixela (1996): Conservative vs. Substitutive strategies;
• Hatim and Mason (1997): Minimal vs. Maximal Mediation;
• Sturge (1997): Estrangement vs. Normalisation.

[Edited at 2014-11-12 09:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-11-12 10:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gabriel García Márquez

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »