Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
English to German
Additional Mar 9, 2017

Andrea P. wrote:

I actually proofread my own work before submitting it to my client. This is to be able correct my mistakes thus providing quality work (result).

I think Fiona meant a second person to proofread your text, a second pair of eyes.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:05
French to English
if they pay for it Mar 9, 2017

Sure, if a client is willing to pay extra, I'll hire someone to check my translation. Otherwise, I'll check it myself.

I used to translate for an agency in-house, where we systematically had a second pair of eyes to check everything. This was very useful in the beginning as I was cutting my teeth, but by the end, I actually had to leave some errors on purpose.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
on purpose? Mar 10, 2017

Why?

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Agree Mar 11, 2017

Texte Style wrote:

Sure, if a client is willing to pay extra, I'll hire someone to check my translation. Otherwise, I'll check it myself.

I used to translate for an agency in-house, where we systematically had a second pair of eyes to check everything. This was very useful in the beginning as I was cutting my teeth, but by the end, I actually had to leave some errors on purpose.

No agree button in this forum, that's a shame.

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
I use a reviewer Mar 11, 2017

If you check the EN 15028 standard (translation services) you'll see there are significant differences between checking, reviewing, revision and proofreading. I know there's a tendency to say 'yeah, but you know what I mean!' but some of the answers above confuse 'revision' (which I think is what's being asked about) with 'checking' (which is what the translator must perform before delivering a job).

I often use a reviser for agency jobs and always for end clients. I agree that agen
... See more
If you check the EN 15028 standard (translation services) you'll see there are significant differences between checking, reviewing, revision and proofreading. I know there's a tendency to say 'yeah, but you know what I mean!' but some of the answers above confuse 'revision' (which I think is what's being asked about) with 'checking' (which is what the translator must perform before delivering a job).

I often use a reviser for agency jobs and always for end clients. I agree that agencies should provide revision, and the EN standard actually requires this ('The TSP shall ensure that the translation is revised'):

5.4.2 Checking
On completion of the initial translation, the translator shall check his/her own work. This process shall include
checking that the meaning has been conveyed, that there are no omissions or errors and that the defined
service specifications have been met. The translator shall make any necessary amendments.
5.4.3 Revision
The TSP shall ensure that the translation is revised.
The reviser (see 3.2.3) shall be a person other than the translator and have the appropriate competence in the
source and target languages. The reviser shall examine the translation for its suitability for purpose. This shall
include, as required by the project, comparison of the source and target texts for terminology consistency,
register and style.
Taking the reviser's recommendations into account, the TSP shall take steps to ensure that any necessary
corrective measures are implemented.

However we all know that most agencies don't implement these requirements and perform in-house checks by non-native speakers. (I've even had PMs tell me: "I've checked your translation and MS Word spellchecker marks a word as incorrect. Are you sure it's OK?'!)
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
European quality standard EN-15038:2006 Mar 12, 2017

sailingshoes wrote:

OK, fair enough. That's why I don't offer any of the ISO rated services as described (nor do any of my colleagues/acquaintances, AFAIK). if a client wanted all these services from me every time they had to translate the text, they'd have to pay at least 3 times my current basic rate to make it worth my while. However, thankfully the quality I/we do manage to provide seems to be good enough for them 99% of the time.

JaneWJH
JaneWJH  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
agency's responsibility? Mar 12, 2017

Chiara Cherubini wrote:

I never use a proofreader if the client is an agency, because I think it is their responsibility to organise the proofreading.

I have recently done a job for an agency and they ask for accurate translation that doesn't need to be reviewed by anyone else (the clause isn't worded like this but essentially means this). I wasn't quite sure about it as I have always dealt with agencies who organise proofreading as part of the process. It was an urgent job too so I did it in a rush... It was a little unsettling to read this in the Ts and Cs document sent to me after I had submitted my work.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
Yes on purpose Mar 12, 2017

MollyRose wrote:

Why?

The person checking my translation was a trainee and she didn't dare correct my errors, thinking I was that much more experienced, it couldn't possibly be wrong. A couple of typos got through before I realised this.

Kay Denney
France
French to English
the Ts and Cs document sent to me after I had submitted my work Mar 12, 2017

Jianhong Jane Wang wrote:

I have recently done a job for an agency and they ask for accurate translation that doesn't need to be reviewed by anyone else (the clause isn't worded like this but essentially means this). I wasn't quite sure about it as I have always dealt with agencies who organise proofreading as part of the process. It was an urgent job too so I did it in a rush... It was a little unsettling to read this in the Ts and Cs document sent to me after I had submitted my work.

If they only sent the terms after you had finished, you are not bound to it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancers - do you use a proofreader?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »