How do I provide a certified translation?
Thread poster: Imogen Hancock
Imogen Hancock
Imogen Hancock  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:14
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2014

I have recently become an MITI. I am therefore now qualified to produce certified translations. I have frequently produced certified translations in the past when I was in-house and as a freelancer for agencies, but it was always the project managers who produced the certificate for me, which I just signed. I can't for the life of me remember what the certified translation certificate actually said. My question is, how do I certify the translation I produce? Do I attach a letter to it (staple it... See more
I have recently become an MITI. I am therefore now qualified to produce certified translations. I have frequently produced certified translations in the past when I was in-house and as a freelancer for agencies, but it was always the project managers who produced the certificate for me, which I just signed. I can't for the life of me remember what the certified translation certificate actually said. My question is, how do I certify the translation I produce? Do I attach a letter to it (staple it?)? What do I say in that letter? And where do I put the all important MITI seal? Many thanks in advance for you help, Imogen

[Edited at 2014-12-17 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

Imogen Hancock
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ITI documentation Dec 17, 2014

I don't know how to close this post. but I have managed to answer my own question by going back and checking my paper work from ITI. They have a page on how to do the certificate which came with the seals.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Anyone can certify a translation. Dec 17, 2014

Your membership of ITI simply entitles you to use the seal, which has no purpose except making the certification look more fancy and official, like some notaries use red ribbons.

You just need to write a single paragraph on your letterheading saying that to the best of your knowledge, this is a true translation.

Imogen Hancock
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 17, 2015

Many thanks for your reply Phil Goddard

Jana Garnsworthy
Jana Garnsworthy
Czech to English
+ ...
Anyone can certify a translation Mar 26, 2015

Like Phil says one doesn't have to a member of any professional translation body to be able to certify translations. Translation is an unregulated profession in the UK and all that the translator is doing by "certifying" a translation is actually saying that they've translated the document to the best of their knowledge and ability, or something like that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I provide a certified translation?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »