Style Guide help
Thread poster: translatesimply
translatesimply
translatesimply
Australia
Local time: 04:56
Dec 29, 2014

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask you what you would like to see in a style guide from customers. I want to create a basic form where customers just tick what they want. It should only be for the most requested requirements. The rest they can explain in notes.

For example:
Tone of the content: Informal, Formal
Do not translate: Brand name, User name, URL name, Dates, Times, Currencies, Email adresses
Notes: Any other requirements

What other opt
... See more
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask you what you would like to see in a style guide from customers. I want to create a basic form where customers just tick what they want. It should only be for the most requested requirements. The rest they can explain in notes.

For example:
Tone of the content: Informal, Formal
Do not translate: Brand name, User name, URL name, Dates, Times, Currencies, Email adresses
Notes: Any other requirements

What other option would you like to give or see from the customer?

Thank you

Lukas
Collapse

Navarut Y.
Navarut Y.  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:56
Member (2014)
English to Thai
Hope this help! Dec 29, 2014

- Number, Phone number and Address format
- Units of Measurement
- Punctuation Usage

Kalyanasundar subramaniam
Kalyanasundar subramaniam
India
Local time: 00:26
Tamil to English
+ ...
Style guide help Dec 29, 2014

If there are no proper and familiar equivalents in the translated language for Technical terms (Engineering Medical and Computer related terms ) translating them in to another language or coining new words could lead to confusion . They should be left as such . Similarly Translating a Title (For example Title of a book or a Movie may not some times exactly convey the intended meaning . ) Instead of translating such titles literally ,the intended meaning could be translated and the original tit... See more
If there are no proper and familiar equivalents in the translated language for Technical terms (Engineering Medical and Computer related terms ) translating them in to another language or coining new words could lead to confusion . They should be left as such . Similarly Translating a Title (For example Title of a book or a Movie may not some times exactly convey the intended meaning . ) Instead of translating such titles literally ,the intended meaning could be translated and the original title without translation can be mentioned in bracket .Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:56
French to Spanish
+ ...
Glossary or corporate vocabulary Dec 29, 2014

Hello, this is a good idea.

I would like the client to provide a glossary or at least their corporate vocabulary or style, such as: "We never call the customer a customer but (whatever); we always use the word X instead of Y."

You may ask them:

Do you have a glossary or a style guide? YES NO
If yes, please attach/copy-paste it.

I hope it helps.

Greetings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Style Guide help

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »