Help with research regarding crowdsourced text/subtitles translation
Thread poster: gawronizm
gawronizm
gawronizm
Poland
Mar 29, 2015

Hello, lately I have been occupied with the topic of crowdsourcing in translations. Actually, I'm a 4th year student about to write my MA thesis in translation studies. I have a few problems and questions which I don't know whom to ask about really. For starters, I am not sure whether or not I have tackled a too ambitious topic. Theoretically speaking, crowdsourcing would have its roots in machine translations and this sort of stuff from which I could build up the theoretical part. However, I am... See more
Hello, lately I have been occupied with the topic of crowdsourcing in translations. Actually, I'm a 4th year student about to write my MA thesis in translation studies. I have a few problems and questions which I don't know whom to ask about really. For starters, I am not sure whether or not I have tackled a too ambitious topic. Theoretically speaking, crowdsourcing would have its roots in machine translations and this sort of stuff from which I could build up the theoretical part. However, I am not sure at all as to how to approach the empirical/research problem. As far as the material is concerned, I was thinking about taking the TED subtitles, which are translated by a crowd, and perhaps compare them or analize them in some way. The other option is submitting a certain piece of text to a crowdsourcing service like Duolingo and work on that. However, I am not exactly sure what I can compare or analize. I am looking for any suggestions or resources which could help me in narrowing the topic. I have skimmed through a few translation journals + google and not much is being written about crowdsourced translations so my question is: Do you know where I could find something inspiring? Any research papers would be great. I guess it is all for now, thank you for your time and answers.Collapse

Laura Messer
Laura Messer  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
literature Mar 30, 2015

I tried doing some Googling to see if I could come across any books talking about this. I did find some short discussions of this in some book results and was able to track down a couple of links to research/abstracts. Hope this helps at this stage of your process (in case you didn't already find these).... See more
I tried doing some Googling to see if I could come across any books talking about this. I did find some short discussions of this in some book results and was able to track down a couple of links to research/abstracts. Hope this helps at this stage of your process (in case you didn't already find these).

http://www.jostrans.org/issue06/art_diaz_munoz.php

http://llc.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/2/119.abstract

http://jis.sagepub.com/content/38/2/189.short?rss=1&ssource=mfr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with research regarding crowdsourced text/subtitles translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »