Why so few male answerers?

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:02
German to English
+ ...
Done! May 27, 2015

Good luck with your dissertation, Lisa. Look forward to your findings.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:02
Chinese to English
Credible survey May 28, 2015

I like it - with too many of these surveys it feels like the researcher hasn't ever done any translation herself, and doesn't really know how it works. This one seemed very relevant to my experience. I hope our answers yield some interesting results.

Diligent_Lisa
Diligent_Lisa  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still open... Jun 2, 2015

Thanks for all the positive feedback and so many people giving their precious time to do this. It is my first survey and I already learned a ton of things I would do better next time. Apologies that some questions didn't have the option to select 'N/A' or 'Did not receive translator training'.
All of you who requested to know results or see the thesis, will get an email from me in December.

The survey is still open as I am hoping to get to 300 responses (currently at 265). <
... See more
Thanks for all the positive feedback and so many people giving their precious time to do this. It is my first survey and I already learned a ton of things I would do better next time. Apologies that some questions didn't have the option to select 'N/A' or 'Did not receive translator training'.
All of you who requested to know results or see the thesis, will get an email from me in December.

The survey is still open as I am hoping to get to 300 responses (currently at 265).

Have a lovely week and thanks again.

Regards, Lisa
Collapse

Diligent_Lisa
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
One more survey... Jun 9, 2015

Dear all,

I have started analyzing the survey on translation processes that 274 people have taken (thank you!). I have now created one more survey with just 6 questions (should take less than 4 minutes to complete) for all project managers, teachers, professors, clients, anyone that works with translators, or employees at a translation organization. I believe this data would greatly enhance my dissertation.
So if you are on that end of the spectrum, please take the couple mi
... See more
Dear all,

I have started analyzing the survey on translation processes that 274 people have taken (thank you!). I have now created one more survey with just 6 questions (should take less than 4 minutes to complete) for all project managers, teachers, professors, clients, anyone that works with translators, or employees at a translation organization. I believe this data would greatly enhance my dissertation.
So if you are on that end of the spectrum, please take the couple minutes to answer these questions (all multiple choice!).

Thank you, Lisa

https://de.surveymonkey.com/r/translator_training
Collapse

Diligent_Lisa
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Survey Closed Jun 19, 2015

Thank you all for your responses. I have received 280 replies and chose to close to survey in order to start analyzing the results. Those of you who requested to see the results will receive an email....
Thank you again.

Best regards, Lisa

Diligent_Lisa
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dissertation Dec 15, 2015

Hi all, for anyone interested in the results of the survey or the dissertation, here is a link to my paper. For those of you who specifically requested to read it, you should have received an email. Any feedback is of course welcome.
Thank you all again.
Best, Lisa

<
... See more
Hi all, for anyone interested in the results of the survey or the dissertation, here is a link to my paper. For those of you who specifically requested to read it, you should have received an email. Any feedback is of course welcome.
Thank you all again.
Best, Lisa

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1axbrg4bpbi4uz5/Final_Dissertation.pdf?dl=0
Collapse

KseniiaKuzmenko
KseniiaKuzmenko
Ukraine
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Good luck! Dec 15, 2015

Good luck!

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Links in blank emails Dec 16, 2015

Diligent_Lisa wrote:

For those of you who specifically requested to read it, you should have received an email.

I received your email before reading this forum post. I deleted it immediately because I don't click on links without any accompanying message. I thought it might be a) a virus or b) a dodgy translation request for a file called "final dissertation". I forgot that I'd completed this survey 6 months ago, so I didn't think of possibility c).

Still, I've read your dissertation (briefly) and found it very interesting. The results, as you pointed out, will be skewed by ProZ-type translator responses. There are many translators out there with different workflows, rates and qualifications who never use ProZ. But it is still a useful insight into the industry.

Thank you for sharing your results, Lisa.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
degee in translation and rates Dec 16, 2015

I really enjoyed your dissertation, thank you for sharing.

On page 29, it says that advanced degrees in any field except translation studies increase the likelihood that a translator charges 0.13 EUR or more per word (and the more advanced the degree, the higher the likelihood).
It also says that this does not hold true for degrees in translation studies. Does that mean that a degree in translation studies actually statistically leads to lower rates?
Is the distribution
... See more
I really enjoyed your dissertation, thank you for sharing.

On page 29, it says that advanced degrees in any field except translation studies increase the likelihood that a translator charges 0.13 EUR or more per word (and the more advanced the degree, the higher the likelihood).
It also says that this does not hold true for degrees in translation studies. Does that mean that a degree in translation studies actually statistically leads to lower rates?
Is the distribution curve for translators with a BA/ MA/ PhD in translation studies consistently located underneath that of their colleagues with the same degree in any other field?
What is the actual percentage for a 0.13 EUR+ rate among translation studies graduates with those degrees?

A negative correlation between a translation degree and rates would, of course, be a very intriguing finding. The numbers would need to be corrected by taking the years of experience into account, because older translators are probably also less likely to have studied translation studies. But they would also have to be corrected to take into account translators with both a translation studies degree and another degree.

The sample size would clearly be too small, but this finding would be in keeping with my experience among direct clients. They could not care less about a translation degree or certificate and, to the extent that it prevents someone from obtaining an additional degree, a translation degree would thus represent a major hurdle for breaking into the high-rate (but not necessarily lucrative) market for specialized translations for direct clients.
Collapse

karla1vin
karla1vin
United States
Local time: 11:02
English to Italian
+ ...
little help Mar 25, 2016

Hey everyone,
I also need your help with my small research that I'm currently doing with http://dissertationwriter.org writers.
What we are trying to research is what are common backgrounds and reasons for choosing this profession and what the main industried that employ translators and interpreters.
Please answer the 6 questio
... See more
Hey everyone,
I also need your help with my small research that I'm currently doing with http://dissertationwriter.org writers.
What we are trying to research is what are common backgrounds and reasons for choosing this profession and what the main industried that employ translators and interpreters.
Please answer the 6 questions at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PJ9SD9G.
Thank you all in advance.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please take this short translation survey for MA dissertation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »