Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to cope with extremely boring source texts?
Thread poster: Nadja Balogh
Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
German to English
+ ...
Jeff's idea is good, and music Oct 5, 2015

I use a version of Jeff's idea, and I also split up the text when I feel it's going too slowly. I'll get frustrated that I'm so bored it's going slowly, so I'll switch to a section of the document that is quicker and do that for a bit. Usually after that, seeing that I only have 10 pages to go will provide the incentive to go back to the boring part of the text and just finish the sucker.

I also listen to music, but I find with dense texts that require more concentration I need to l
... See more
I use a version of Jeff's idea, and I also split up the text when I feel it's going too slowly. I'll get frustrated that I'm so bored it's going slowly, so I'll switch to a section of the document that is quicker and do that for a bit. Usually after that, seeing that I only have 10 pages to go will provide the incentive to go back to the boring part of the text and just finish the sucker.

I also listen to music, but I find with dense texts that require more concentration I need to listen to music either in a language I don't speak well or at all, or music without words, as I get a little too distracted. Spotify is great for this, as you can go to a genre and choose "concentration" or "coffee house music" or whatever and get a range of stuff you can listen to without really listening, if that makes sense.
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
German to English
+ ...
A few ideas... Oct 5, 2015

Break up the larger / less interesting project by doing other work in between (if possible).

Work in short bursts like others suggest. I think the Pomodoro technique suggests 25 mins.

Take a walk. You may have seen this MRI scan of a brain after a 20 mins walk:

http://creativefacilitation.com/uncategorized/your-brain-on-walking
... See more
Break up the larger / less interesting project by doing other work in between (if possible).

Work in short bursts like others suggest. I think the Pomodoro technique suggests 25 mins.

I wonder how many translators work from home and never actually get outside and wake their brain up before starting work?

Keep a countdown of the remaining word count and time requirement on the project so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

I would say stop taking work you find boring but you've probably thought of that!
Collapse

Sarah Lewis-Morgan
Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:04
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Get a dog! Oct 5, 2015

Richard Foulkes wrote:

I wonder how many translators work from home and never actually get outside and wake their brain up before starting work?

I have no idea how to interpret that MRI picture, but I thoroughly endorse the walking suggestion. If I didn't have a dog nagging at me there are days when I might never leave my computer. As it is I get out before I start work, in the middle of the day and at the end of the day. At least.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
dog, cat, proz... Oct 6, 2015

I tend to take frequent breaks (like right now!) when I'm bored. Then I make myself blitz a section before allowing another break. Luckily boring often equates with repetitive so the CAT tool takes care of a fair amount.

For mindlessly boring stuff, I tend to listen to music (and sing along at the top of my voice if I know I'm alone).

Katharine Halls
Katharine Halls
Arabic to English
Music! And knitting! Oct 10, 2015

Hi Nadja,

I listen to music while working but as another poster mentioned, it has to be either in a language I don't know at all, or not have words. I say a language I don't know at all because, being a translator and language nut, even if it's something unfamiliar my ears start pricking at the sounds of interesting words and my brain starts wondering about their etymology... My choice is usually classical music, but even then it has to be stuff I don't know well, otherwise I start
... See more
Hi Nadja,

I listen to music while working but as another poster mentioned, it has to be either in a language I don't know at all, or not have words. I say a language I don't know at all because, being a translator and language nut, even if it's something unfamiliar my ears start pricking at the sounds of interesting words and my brain starts wondering about their etymology... My choice is usually classical music, but even then it has to be stuff I don't know well, otherwise I start humming along and it gets distracting. So I usually go for the radio, like BBC radio 3.

I also like to knit. If you leave your desk and do a few rows of knitting (or anything practical, really!) every so often, the progress you make in your knitting project will offer a more tangible representation of the progress you are making in your translation work. So even if you feel like the four pages of repetitive rubbish you've typed out that day aren't much of an achievement, you'll have added four centimetres to the scarf you're making

Good luck!

K
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I have never have any feeling of any text being boring Oct 11, 2015

And I have never felt any text "interesting" either. A text is just a text, it is just something you work on and for which you are paid for.

And I don't understand why a text can be boring or interesting.

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is that possible? Oct 11, 2015

jyuan_us wrote:

And I have never felt any text "interesting" either. A text is just a text, it is just something you work on and for which you are paid for.

And I don't understand why a text can be boring or interesting.

Hi Jyuan,

A text to me is boring when it is extremely repetitive (but not in a way where CAT tools are much help) or simply lots of "hot air".

A text to me is interesting if I learn something new from it, e.g. while researching terminology - luckily this happens quite frequently too.

But many text are indeed in that grey zone you're describing, neither particularly boring nor interesting.

Still I can't believe that you NEVER found any text to be more or less interesting - isn't that human nature? Or are you translating the same type of text all the time?

Nadja

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:04
English to Russian
Add a picture Oct 11, 2015

My favorite CAT tool allows me to add pictures to terms on the go. I always add a photo of my girlfriend to each new term. Whenever I get a term, I can always push the 'View image' button and see her on my screen. This adds inspiration and removes fatigue for me.

[Edited at 2015-10-11 22:41 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to cope with extremely boring source texts?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »