Thread poster: walkabout
Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Foreign language? Oct 22, 2015

Well, if the client speaks a different language than English, they maybe mean proofreading or reviewing.

My friend is a 'revisor' and translator for a Flemish public service and she does proofreading. So clients might just be using a word they know which they think is the same in English.

walkabout
walkabout  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think you're right Kirsten Oct 22, 2015

Nina Krivtsova
Nina Krivtsova
Russian Federation
Local time: 10:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Comparing translation against the source text Oct 22, 2015

For me, revision is what Mikhail Kropotov said: comparing the translation with the source text making sure it's accurate, correcting grammar errors and also improving the style, if needed. It's not just something that translation agencies want people to do. Take, for example, publishing houses; literary translation undergo revision as well, and it's a common practice.

As to the question whether revision is time-consuming--well, I normally revise an average translation two or three t
... See more
For me, revision is what Mikhail Kropotov said: comparing the translation with the source text making sure it's accurate, correcting grammar errors and also improving the style, if needed. It's not just something that translation agencies want people to do. Take, for example, publishing houses; literary translation undergo revision as well, and it's a common practice.

As to the question whether revision is time-consuming--well, I normally revise an average translation two or three times faster than I translate, which doesn't make revision too tedious of a task. However, if you see that the text needs to be completely rewritten (which doesn't happen often), it is better to contact the client and tell them about it, and probably also negotiate a different rate.
Collapse

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 06:46
English to Russian
+ ...
revision/proofreading Oct 23, 2015

Actually, whatever meanings these terms might have in dictionaries or EU guidelines, my clients use these two words to describe one and the same thing - comparing source and target texts and fixing everything there is to fix: typos, style, mistranslations etc.

I disagree with the statement that the target texts produced by professionals/experts/gurus do not need this 'comparing' stage. Nobody's perfect 24/7. I've proofread/revised a lot of texts translated by very good professional
... See more
Actually, whatever meanings these terms might have in dictionaries or EU guidelines, my clients use these two words to describe one and the same thing - comparing source and target texts and fixing everything there is to fix: typos, style, mistranslations etc.

I disagree with the statement that the target texts produced by professionals/experts/gurus do not need this 'comparing' stage. Nobody's perfect 24/7. I've proofread/revised a lot of texts translated by very good professionals admiring their style and the way they get through some tough parts but even they may miss a sentence or a paragraph, get the meaning wrong etc.

Errare humanum est...
Collapse

walkabout
walkabout  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
. Oct 23, 2015

Thanks for the answers. I think we almost have consensus on the differences between revising and proofreading/reviewing. I wonder if the Euro standard has bothered to define these two, quite distinct, procedures?

Another question that arises is how do most agencies want the revision done. I've seem a lot of them throw a couple of DOC or ODT files at me and ask for a revision using the change-tracking that these word processors offer, and others who provide a bilingual Trados file.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:46
Russian to English
+ ...
ATA Chronicle article on revision Oct 26, 2015

With Mikhail on what revision means, although the disagreement here shows that you should check with your client. I have never had a client ask me to "proofread" a document for which they have sent me source and target texts, when what they did not really mean was to check target against source.

This is a useful article from the ATA Chronicle, January 2013. You have to download
... See more
With Mikhail on what revision means, although the disagreement here shows that you should check with your client. I have never had a client ask me to "proofread" a document for which they have sent me source and target texts, when what they did not really mean was to check target against source.

This is a useful article from the ATA Chronicle, January 2013. You have to download the full issue to get it. http://www.atanet.org/chronicle-online/wp-content/uploads/2013-January.pdf
"Do Not Take It Personally! Secrets of Revision," by Jonathan T. Hine
"Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible for anyone to edit his or her own work perfectly,
and that is simply a human reality. Working as a reviser has the added advantage of
improving our own self-revision...."
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does "revision" entail?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »