Thread poster: Fábio Ribeiro
Fábio Ribeiro
Fábio Ribeiro
Portugal
Local time: 22:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 29, 2015

I'm writing a text on the topic of post-editing and I'd like to know more information about it, more specifically, what businesses request this service the most. Given the limitations of MT, I know that post-editing will probably be used in domain-specific literature, where there is no place for ambiguity, but I'd like to know more concrete examples. I've read that it can applied to the domain of medicine, namely in articles where the terminology is denser and the textual structure is not very i... See more
I'm writing a text on the topic of post-editing and I'd like to know more information about it, more specifically, what businesses request this service the most. Given the limitations of MT, I know that post-editing will probably be used in domain-specific literature, where there is no place for ambiguity, but I'd like to know more concrete examples. I've read that it can applied to the domain of medicine, namely in articles where the terminology is denser and the textual structure is not very intricate (or so I assume).
I've heard some cases of post-editing in the automobile industry and naturally, industries that require large volumes of information to be translated quickly via MT and find post-editing a cheap alternative. But I'd like to know more specific information about this. Rates, branches of industry that regularly employ post-editors, some of your opinions on the subject, softwares and any other information.
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:30
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
MT Postprocessing: Very used for Technical Documentation Oct 30, 2015

I had one interesting experience in the IT field (for a very large computer manufacturer via a US agency).

language pair: EN>FR, tool: SDL Studio 2014

The input was already machine "translated", I had to fix a few bugs.

For instance wrong words order in a sentence;

or the engine tried to translate brand names, which is not appropriate etc.

Then you need to perform a QA.

The engine was very good, compared to Google & co
... See more
I had one interesting experience in the IT field (for a very large computer manufacturer via a US agency).

language pair: EN>FR, tool: SDL Studio 2014

The input was already machine "translated", I had to fix a few bugs.

For instance wrong words order in a sentence;

or the engine tried to translate brand names, which is not appropriate etc.

Then you need to perform a QA.

The engine was very good, compared to Google & co.

The PM was excellent too; thanks

The "purists" say that MT is destroying the translaton profession.
Of course it can't be used to translate literature.

Have a nice evening - Madeleine
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:30
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Here's your post put through MT Oct 30, 2015

Edit this text and see if it's something you would want to do (keep in mind that people generally expect to pay a lot less for this kind of work):

"I write a text on an object post-production and want to know more information, more precisely, what the company requesting this service the most. Given the limitations of MT, I know that after processing is expected in the domain-specific literature, where there is no room for ambiguity in use, but I would like to know more concrete exam
... See more
Edit this text and see if it's something you would want to do (keep in mind that people generally expect to pay a lot less for this kind of work):

"I write a text on an object post-production and want to know more information, more precisely, what the company requesting this service the most. Given the limitations of MT, I know that after processing is expected in the domain-specific literature, where there is no room for ambiguity in use, but I would like to know more concrete example. I have read that you use in the medical field, namely Article closer terminology and structure of the text is not very complicated (or so I think).
I have heard several cases of finishing in the automotive industry and, of course, to industries that require large amounts of information quickly after editing translate and find a cheaper alternative. But I want to know more specific information. Price, industries that deal regularly by publishers, some of his statements on this subject, software and other information."
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
German to English
+ ...
on the one proposed example Oct 31, 2015

By coincidence, a propos...
Ribeirogradoz15 wrote:

... I've read that it can applied to the domain of medicine, namely in articles where the terminology is denser and the textual structure is not very intricate (or so I assume).

The only time I actually looked at a post-editing job, it was in the domain of medicine. I refused the work because the resulting translation was so horrendous that it would have taken twice as long to fix as it would to translate it properly form scratch. The original text was in German. Maybe medical terms are often similar since a lot of it comes from Latin, but that doesn't change the complexity of German grammar and syntax.

Fábio Ribeiro
Fábio Ribeiro
Portugal
Local time: 22:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My general impressions Oct 31, 2015

Thank you all for your answers. In my opinion MT has still a long way to go where efficiency is concerned and certainly won't replace human translators like many fear. Systems that are tailored to a company's specific needs can be of great help when translating large amounts of data and when being somewhat understood or even good enough is the priority. But from what I can grasp, the problem is that clients are often motivated by wishful thinking and avarice and want to pay less, without realizi... See more
Thank you all for your answers. In my opinion MT has still a long way to go where efficiency is concerned and certainly won't replace human translators like many fear. Systems that are tailored to a company's specific needs can be of great help when translating large amounts of data and when being somewhat understood or even good enough is the priority. But from what I can grasp, the problem is that clients are often motivated by wishful thinking and avarice and want to pay less, without realizing that sometimes (or often, depending on the language pairing and domains), post-editing requires as much or more work than translating a text from scratch. No doubt that snake-oil salesmen from language service providers have a hand in this as well. But this is merely the general impression I've got while looking for information about this branch. One last question. Can Post-Editing be considered a niche market or has it already surpassed that?Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking information about post-editing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »